Lawrence of Arabia

Just watched this.
Let's have a discussion thread...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ayJLeVDOCZ0
gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100111h.html#intro
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

One of the best movies ever made, if not the best. Loved every minute of it.

Is this faceapped

>...

>God help the men that lie under that
>They are turks
>God help them

Seconding every word.
Might even watch the remake just to laugh at how it fails in comparison

Sad that they don't make films like this anymore or that there isn' a modern equivalent of David lean's filmmaking

Same here. I've seen it at least over 20 times and it never gets old. Literally the perfect movie all around.

>Although 227 minutes long, this film has no women in speaking roles. It is reportedly the longest film not to have any dialogue spoken by a woman.

so is this unironically a film women will never understand?

I have a ritual called "Lawrence of Arabia". I crouch in the shower in the "naked Lawrence" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Lawrence or the guy from the Terminator 2 movie. I then start to hum the Lawrence of Arabia theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my Lawrence of Arabia leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Yes, dumb roasties forever btfo

>watching old movies..

Why didn't he have scars in his fingers from doing that trick?

stick to your capeshit faggot

he got raped by those turks didn't he

also Laurence in real life was 5'5

>rebbit dots
literally kys

underrated post

Yeah he did. That's why he was so traumatised, not just cos they beat him.
This film is more than just an epic, it's actually also a very intimate character study. They handle Lawrence as an actual human who's really quite disturbed and has many flaws, despite many of the Arabs seeing him as a hero (or at least he perceives them to). Peter O'Tool's performance was truly one of the greatest ever, assisted of course by David Lean's masterful filmmaking

You have very *coughs violently*... fair skin.

>who's really quite disturbed and has many flaws

It's kind of an epic story about a guy LARPing as someone in an epic story

Why did they rape him? Was it what Allah wanted?

>AQABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

He was a twink irl

My mom told me that apparently people back then didn't know Peter O'Toole was gay. But when I watched it his gay mannerism, like the way he sits on his camel is rather telling, felt really out of place for his character to the point that I had to look up if Lawrence of Arabia was also a gay

I'm relaly sorry to hear about the shower curtain.

Peter O'Toole isn't gay

>227 minutes is the longest a woman has been quiet

>dude arabs are so fucking cool
>dude fuck white people
>dude i wish i was a shitskin
mediocre flick.

nani?? then why does he act so gay in the movie?

you just have a crush on him user

you don't get the movie if you think it conveyed any of those things

It's weird when you realize that Lawrence fucked everything up so badly and the world still suffers because of it.

i bet you're the type of person that can barely handle movies over two hours

not him but i usually have to take breaks every 30 mins - hour. the internet has destroyed my attention span

Redditor scum stay back in your containment board.

Was was the Turk so happy?

I love how one of the very first things that the great, the one and only

L A W R E N C E O F A R A B I A

is depicted as doing on the screen, is to clumsily trip over some furniture. It really humanizes the character before he rises to greatness later.

Sup Forums is my city

The ululating from the women on the hilltop as they ride out suggests otherwise. It's certainly a vocalization which is clearly present in the film, if not a line.

It is one of the greatest epics ever made, and could never be made today. They didn't give a fuck about safety and had the equivalent budget today of like 400 million dollars. Back before CGI when they did it for real.

A movie about of westerner civilizing and leading the savage brown hoards. They would NEVER allow this to be made today (maybe if they made Lawrence an arab woman)

youtube.com/watch?v=ayJLeVDOCZ0

Avatar had the same basic element of Westerner joining and leading a primitive foreign tribe.

this

Wish they still made movies even half as good as they used to

Because he was acting?

No Avatar was about "muh poor natives tribes got killed by the white man". The creators even said it was about Colonialism.

And Ferngully, and Dune, and...

When Avatar came out, there was a throrough documentation of the genre where Johnny White Guy "goes native", is torn between two loyalties, and ultimately leads the tribe to greatness. Lawrence is simply the best instance of the genre.

FUCKING HATED PETER O'TOOLE FOR YEEEEEAAAAARRRRSSSS BECAUSE OF THIS MOVIE WHERE HE PLAYS A MINCING SWISH FAGGOT!!! Then I saw The Ruling Class which is a masterpiece and O'Toole was FUCKING ROBBED of his Oscar by that bloated mumbling fat fuck Brando for The Godfather!!!FACT!!!

What the other guy said is still literally correct and is a common element between the two films, you absolute fucking dunce. Your thing isn't mutually exclusive to his, you mouthbreather.

Avatar was just the most recent example because the user claimed you can't make a movie with such an element anymore.

if that was the case he would have stayed a white guy, they transformed him into a native to make it acceptable to the PC crowd

It was the Germans, user. Arabs are okay as long as strong hand tells them what they can and cannot do.

There is a story about archeologists wanting to dig in the french part of Arabia. So they try to pay the local arabs to dig. No luck, none of them show up. So they ask the local French garrison. They arrest 30 or so arabs and force them to dig. Nobody complains. The archeologists try to hire arabs to dig again. Nobody shows up again. So they ask the frenchies again. Same procedure as before. After, they ask if they mind working at the site. The locals tell them they don't, that it's even a bit interesting. They just can't grasp the concept of not being arrested and forced to dig by the French garrison.

That's wwhy there is an intermission in the middle.

the only time i take a break is if im going to get something to drink, eat or go to the bathroom

There was a remake?!?!

T. E. Lawrence was noted for being very ambiguous in his sexuality. He was either gay or a flamboyant asexual. Peter O'Toole just played into that perfectly.

They did this in Battlefield 1, Lawrence may as well not have been in the game.

Overrated garbage.

You really are dumb as fuck. The whole point of the "going native" genre is that Whitey is immersed in a different culture and learns to walk the walk and talk the talk. So even if he's still literally a white guy or not, the point is that he acts like a member of the tribe and is accepted as such, or at least as a trusted associate.

Lawrence: accepted as honorary wog and given clothes after he pulls that dude out of the desert. In that very scene, he continues riding the wogs' animal of choice - the camel.

Avatar guy: accepted into tribe after he tames and rides dragon-thing without dying.

Dune: Paul accepted as fremen man after riding the worm.

Notice also the consistent trope of learning to ride the local fauna as a proof of manhood, you dimwitted octaroon.

I saw it at Cinerama in Seattle in 70mm almost a year ago. It was incredible. Unfortunately the 70mm shit the bed 3/4 of the way through and we had to watch the rest on what I assume was BluRay. The difference is astounding, colors are way less vivid.

Great, great movie.

>why are turks degenerates
They've been at it for thousands of years along with most of their neighbors

Here is the book "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T.E. Lawrence that this movie is based off of.

gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100111h.html#intro

It's silly to present the Arabs as noble savages compared to them though

Yeah I guess. Worked for the movie though. Idk that much about WW1 so I can't say whether they had the moral highground in reality

Gonna read this cheers

The ottoman empire were one of the first nations to decriminalise Homosexuality inspite of muh Islam. They were huge on faggotry. Everyone in the middle east hated them for being such degenerates.

Was he that way before getting raped in the Turkish prison?

>tfw no whacky arab servant friends

This sounds very similar to the writer and illustrator Edward Gorey.

>And after passing the tamarisks we went trough a lava field where a dozen of our camels fell dead

That's about half the book
It's a really entertaining book to be fair, specially if you liked the film or like travel books

>tfw just got a 55" 4K tv the other day
>tfw have it on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray
Gonna watch this again next week, can't wait.

I only go to the theater if the movie is at least 2hrs. long. Though I broke that rule for Dunkirk, interestingly it felt like a 3 hour movie.

The age of epic grand films is over.
I personally miss the epic roman films that they had in the 60s including Spartacus. Never mind the great SciFi.

deep. deep.