How different are High German and Low German...

How different are High German and Low German? Is it comparable to the difference between British English and American English? Or does it run deeper than that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TKBDk6V8s2A
youtube.com/watch?v=C_D4MTpkf-E
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_German
youtu.be/1_dH403pqRU
youtu.be/Vg4cGwY-q2c
youtu.be/G0n970JRNII
vimeo.com/116386588
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_German_languages#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_German#Origins
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Low German is more like Dutch and is closer to English IIRC
it came from Saxons
High German came from the Alemanni, and is a bit more distinct from the rest of the West Germanic languages

In their respective extreme forms, Frisian vs High Alemannic, I'd say they're probably more different than Portuguese vs Romanian or Russian vs Polish

is this Low or High german?

youtube.com/watch?v=TKBDk6V8s2A

High

High German

my kindred used to be Low German speakers when they arrived, but of course we have been anglicized since then. Great Grandparents used to still swear in German.

No, no. I would consider Low German it's own Language. High German has undergone many sound changes that Low German didn't, almost no words are the same in those two. Many Ts in Low German mutated to Ss in High German.

For Exampel:

Low German - High German

wat - was (what)

dat - das (that)

eten - essen (to eat)

Straat - Straße (Street)

Many Vs and Fs became Bs and Ps.

Leeve - Liebe (love)

aver - aber (but)

slapen - schlafen (to sleep)

There were many more sound changes, but you get the idea. Proper Low German isn't even fully mutually intelligible it's counterpart.

so is it sort of like Arabic then where the different dialects aren't very related? E.g. an Algerian can't really understand someone from the UAE.

I think it's pretty hard for us Anglos to understand but I assume they are close to being separate languages. Germany used to be separated by a massive pool of West Germanic languages but they've been getting more and more homogeneous for centuries.

I don't know about Arabic, but yes speakers of only High German will have a hard time understand proper Low German. But the same holds for proper Boarisch (Bavarian/Austrian). It's not really about not-relatedness but rather that these dialects existed for a very long time.

the North Sea germanic languages (english, friscian, saxon, dutch) went through some specific sound changes that ones from the interior of Germania did not (Rhine and Elbe germanic ones)
all being slaves to geography, they evolved differently.

youtube.com/watch?v=C_D4MTpkf-E

does it sound like the same language to you?

Are there still Americans that speak Pensilfaanisch Deitsch(Pennsylvania German)? The Wikipedia Page claims that it has still 300.000 speakers, but I don't trust this Wikipedia in this regard.

I imagine the low dutch in northern mexico speak it too, some of them are moving back up after realizing religious freedom isn't worth living in mexico

I'm not so certain what the yankees are doing, but the Texas Hill Country still has some Texasdeutsch speakers, i can attest to this having lived around Fredericksburg and new Braunfels all my childhood.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_German

Interesting, I just heard a speech sample of it and it sounds pretty much like German with a American dialect. Understood everything though.

Legendary.

youtu.be/1_dH403pqRU
listened to this?
it seems like German, but with the rhotic southerner accent.

Louisianan French is fun because it seems to have the non-rhotic southerner accent.
youtu.be/Vg4cGwY-q2c
youtu.be/G0n970JRNII

i just found this Germanon, looks cool
vimeo.com/116386588

Yes, I listened to that! Besides the Dixie-Accent her German has the touch of Northern German imo. She pronounces the normally hard g at the end of words as a soft ch and her intonation sounds pretty Northern German as well.
Thank you! I'll watch it!

nothing at all

High German as people has nothing to do with High German related to the language. It's two different things.

that might very well be because MOST German immigrants came from the northern states of the German Confederation and were predominantly Lutheran. That is why my kin are Lutheran Church Missouri Synod anyhow.

Standard German originated in Thuringia / Saxony. First books and translated documents were mate there with the respective dialect.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_German_languages#History
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_German#Origins
this would suggest that Standard German is something of a median compromise between the dialects, but is mostly High German in origin.

well i would certainly expect the actual German to be right, so I'll go ahead and believe you

It's not! If you think it's the same then we would all be speaking Bavarian or Platt for Low German.

They can be very different. High German, as in Standard German, is a mix of several Upper and Central German dialects that underwent several consonant shifts that did not occur in Low German(and Dutch and even English).

There still is a dialectical continuum but several Low German dialects are closer to Dutch varieties because of this but with anything linguistic lines also often follow political and ethnogenic ones, so they are still considered to be German dialects.

Funny, because the Germans in the north-eastern part of the United States (e.g. Pennsylvania Germans) that still speak their language, came mostly from the southern part of Germany (and you hear that heavily). Many of them are Amish, as I read.

my mother's side is from the 1850 immigration waves that settled in the midwest (my father's side is Pennsylvania Dutch, which is actually Penn. Deutsch since the 1600s and they tended to be High Germans) and they tended to be Low Germans.

Almost all those low german words are identical to dutch

Hochdeutsch was originally a literary language intended to be readable for speakers of all of the German dialects. Low German is one of said dialects. When it became spoken the pronunciations we're based on how a Low German Speaker would read it aloud. Having said that American and British English are the same language with small regional differences so they are closer than two dialects.

Shame standard german is not more low german influenced.

Yes, Dutch is extremly similiar, especially written. Dutch though has few features that aren't in Low German like the ij diphthong or the g-sound that you guys have.

>Funny, because the Germans in the north-eastern part of the United States (e.g. Pennsylvania Germans) that still speak their language, came mostly from the southern part of Germany (and you hear that heavily). Many of them are Amish, as I read.
Different poster but mine came from NW Germany in the end of the 19th century and settled in Western Mass. WW1 caused them to assimilate quickly. My Great Great Grandfather shows on under historic documents with various names depending on whether he wrote the Anglicized form of his first and/or last name (when my great grandfather was born his wife told him to stop screwing with the surname though).

The source of confusion over the germanic dialect continuum and german language as we know it today stems from the following:

Standard German is a specific dialect within the Germanic continuum that is quite young, it is a high german variety but was developed in the north as a trade language.

It is not the source of all the Germanic dialects, rather it is one of them. When we speak of High or Low German we are referring to an antecedent continuum of dialects that ranges from the dialect of SudTirol to the Flemish spoken in France. This encapsulates Dutch, Low German, Austro/Bavarian, Standard German, as dialects within this continuum (although really they are languages within this continuum), but this is not to say that they are dialects of standard German.

/autism.

>this would suggest that Standard German is something of a median compromise between the dialects
It sort of is actually

Low German - Standard German - Bavarian

wat - was - wos / woas - (what)

dat - das - des - (that)

eten - essen - essn - (to eat)

Straat - Straße - Straße - (Street)

Many Vs and Fs became Bs and Ps.

Leeve - Liebe - Liab - (love)

aver - aber - aba - (but)

slapen - schlafen - schlafa - (to sleep)

The East Prussian dialect sounds like a mix between Northern German and Berlinerisch

In dutch it would be

Wat

Dat

Eten

Straat

Liefde

Maar

Slapen

how much does frisian differ from that?

Ick ho dir gleich so uffn Kopp dasse durch die Rippen kiekst wie der Affe druchs Jitter

Et jibt sone un solche aber dann jibts noch janz andere und dat sind die schlimmsten

Funny you ask, I speak it actually. Although I speak it I can't write in frisian because our school said fuck that. But wat, dat, maar are the same but spoken a bit differently. Straat, liefde are spoken differently and slapen and eten are pronounced as the english sleep and eat but the verb ending are different.