What do you guys think of the Before trilogy? And do you know any similar movies in terms of topic and/or style?

What do you guys think of the Before trilogy? And do you know any similar movies in terms of topic and/or style?

Other urls found in this thread:

criterion.com/boxsets/1237-the-before-trilogy
youtube.com/watch?v=F4oheSbd230
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Watched before midnight a few days ago. I've also watched half of before sunrise.

The dialogue is good but I can't buy Ethan Hawke's character as a successful writer. He should be more emotionally absent and constantly worrying that he is a hack (maybe he does this more in after sunset idk). Anyway, I think Linklater projects his ideal self into his male leads, which undermines their relatability.

I really enjoyed them. I've watched them a couple times. They were recently re released together.
criterion.com/boxsets/1237-the-before-trilogy

the first is overwritten and would be considered extremely reddit by Sup Forums's standards

the second is great and the concept (real time) is great but there's still some cringekino in it.

the third is clearly the best although the dinner with their friends in the first act is extraneous. lots of kino parts

One of the greatest film trilogies ever. Ethan Hawke and Richard linklaters best work (but not Julie delpys)

was it kino

youtube.com/watch?v=F4oheSbd230

Episode 2 is the true Kino.

>sense of impending separation
>end of tour in Paris
>that feel when you're in love with your best friend by she's not your wife
>that ending

The best scene by far is the fight sequence

is this really one take or is it just really good editing?

>He should be more emotionally absent and constantly worrying that he is a hack

Why?

one take, most of the scenes in this movie are filmed like that

Probably one take, Linklater cares about stuff like that. Not like that prick Robert Altman who included a jarring fucking jump cut we weren't supposed to be able to see but plainly could halfway through the opening "shot" of The Player. I've only seen it on TV, I can't imagine how ugly it looked on the big screen.

Have you never met a successful hack writer? Hawke played it literally perfectly, in fact, he IS one, like James Franco

post the part where hes sucking her tits, holy fuck i got an instant bonner.

it's great and probably my favourite

but i did think first time watching it (and not realising there was a third film) that they were going to be brave enough to have them just go their separate ways without resolving anything

>that ending
"Baby, you are gonna miss that plane."

Why are you saying that to me? I agree with you. said it, though I got the wrong number on my original reply.

Basically non-films, might as well have been an audiobooks Tbh

If you like the Before trilogy I'd recommend watching some of Eric Rohmer's work, specifically Claire's Knee and My Night at Maud's.

Sorry I fucked up. Meant the other guy

huh, both French movies. I will see if i can track them down somewhere, they seem like the kind of stuff i was looking for

2 > 3 > 1

also, there are visual references in before midnight to rohmer's The Green Ray (great film btw)

>everyone says this ending is kino but i virulently hate it

who else

Why 3 > 1?

It's cornball bourgeois shit but I'll never pass up an opportunity to look at Julie Delpy so whatever. It's OK.

She's so fucking hot reeeeee

And also talented

Theyre nice movies but i really fucking hate that guys face

I found it more relatable