Moana thread

youtu.be/LKFuXETZUsI

New trailer. Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WgOv6RxbfKw
youtube.com/watch?v=YDQizlFzVdA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looks a lot better than Frozen. Hopefully the story will be better as well.

As long as The Rock sings I'm going.

Can't wait. I need something pretty,fun and optimistic.

Ok but who is the villain?

A disney film without a villain usually fades into nothingness

Just remember BRAVE

I want to marry that water.
>a lot farther the it looks
Heh.

That giant monster they were fighting i guess.

>Brave
>Disney film

This looks so great like Zootopia and far better than Frozen. Seriously.

It's probably the giant lava monster they keep showing.

>who is the villain?
White people.

The villain is actually the chicken

In the Polinesian myths, Maui always appears to fight gods that abuse or treat mankind unfairly. If it's the lava monster,then maybe is in a fact a volcanic deity.

I haven't been excited about a Disney movie since I was a kid. This one actually looks good.

Brave was fucked by exec meddling, the villains have been great in the recent Disney wave

>Disney villains
>great
kek

Good post!

Isn't the lava monster Pele? It's weird that they haven't mentioned anyone voicing her though. I guess she either doesn't talk, or she's actually voiced by Philippa Soo, and her playing a villager is just a diversion.

Yeah, it's probably Pele that's the villain of this thing.

The villain is Maui.

Or Ron and John are jumping on the bandwagon of every Disney movie made since Wreck It Ralph (even Pooh 2011, I'm counting Owl as the tweest villain of that) and we get a third act twist that said villager is just Pele in human form

Shut up pleb. Brave was great.

I'm going to marry that water.

>Brave was fucked by exec meddling
Keep telling yourself that.

Brave's problem wasn't that it lacked a villain.

Finding Nemo had no villain.

Going off of what little I know of both Pele and Moana's plot. Pele, in a few versions of her story, gets banished and fucks off to eventually add volcanos to Hawaii, after Maui had already pulled up the mountains from under the ocean. One of Pele's sisters is supposed to be a sea goddess, so maybe that sister is the one who has chose Moana for whatever reason. And Pele is pissed because family drama.

I don't understand this. What the hell is your problem with Brave guys?

It suffered from a very unfocused story. The central conflict doesn't appear until like halfway through the movie, and the villain has no thematic connection to the story - He's only there to create an action scene for the climax.

The opening and ending narration contrasting with everything else make it clear that the movie suffered a lot of changes late in the process, and didn't know what it wanted to be about.

.......... meh

The writer and director who pitched the film and wrote it about her relationship with her on daughter was forced off the project halfway through and then left Pixar forever.

What do you call that, a great time all around?

>all these goods and demigods
This movie looks very interesting.

The villains are the lava witch and the coconut pirates.

>It's the cute thing is actually vicious trope.
Boooooooo.......

Plus she was so burned by Disney that after she left Pixar, she went over to Lucasfilm Animation and immediately quit when Disney bought them out.

Now she's over at Dreamworks again.

I didn't mind Brave at all. It's not Pixar's best, but it still rungs above their worst.

But Brenda Chapman conspiracy fans are fucked in the head.

There's also a Giant Enemy Crab in the Realm of Monsters

Still not feeling it so far, but I'm interested enough to give it a chance

Please Disney Animation, do it right this time please please.

PLEASE

I'm referring to princess' movies b t w, Zootopia was good.

>tfw we get a Moana world in KH before a legit Lilo and Stitch Hawaii
I'll be slightly disappointed

Honestly, I'd prefer Lilo and Stitch Hawaii being merged with the Destiny Islands and making the Pelekais Sora's neighbors or something.

>Honestly, I'd prefer Lilo and Stitch Hawaii being merged with the Destiny Islands
I don't know if I feel that. The Destiny Islands are unrelated to other worlds in the same vein that Twilight Town and Traverse Town are. I think they should stay that way.

What do you mean, "do it right"?
Do what right? Hit what note?

i think he means most of the princess movies are either overrated (frozen), disappointing(patf) or underwheliming (tangled)

THIS Every word of that post.

Well, that's just very vague and subjective judgement.
And it gives no indication of how one would go about the business of doing it right.

>Tumblr on Maui as a fat stereotype.

>Not knowing about Peter Maivia, Dwyane Johnson grandfather.

Maui looks a lot like him.

Oh my god. I'm going to flip my shit if we get Moana instead of Lilo & Stitch Hawaii. That would be a low blow...I'm doubtful though, since they practically set up for Lilo & Stitch in KH3 with the ending to Deep Space in BBS.

He isn't even fat. He's silly strongly built.

i'm glad they downplayed the "rivalry" betwen Maui and Moana , hopefully it won't be the focus of the movie.

but that fucking chicken, jesus, what cringe.
>in the early version hei hei was a very angry rooster, in the final version he's just really really stupid.

Right he's built like a wrestler

that water must be so painful to render

I'm glad the color pallet seems pretty varied compared to Frozen's winter wonderland for most of that film.

With all these movies this year we are beholding the era of animated kino.

>Ok but who is the villain?
The one who looks helpful and friendly the most, and certainly not the lava monster.

It's gonna be a shitty twist villain like the last 4 years of Disney and Pixar films.

BJ LIPS

it's... water, then.

I might have to buy the Moana doll. She looks so fucking good.

Giving away a little too much in this trailer for my liking, but I'm still very much going to see this movie.

Brave was Pixar's attempt at a Disney-esque Princess story.

Too much executive meddling and a mid-production director replacement messed up the flow of the story.

That being said, I'm hoping the villain is just nature or whatever.

>animal sidekick that behaves like a dog/puppy

check!

>Giving away a little too much in this trailer for my liking

How is this for you: youtu.be/WgOv6RxbfKw

>I'm not going on a mission with a little girl
there it is

i really dig these toys, they look detailed and accurate.

>A disney film without a villain usually fades into nothingness
What is Winnie the Pooh

Well since it ALREADY looked like the biggest piece of shit in years, this just confirmed it!

dude, that's not SING.

youtube.com/watch?v=YDQizlFzVdA

I don't think so. My guess is Pele (the volcano goddess) is going to be the "villain", but along the movie we'll see everything is more of a huge misunderstanding than anything else; they cannot go full Disney's Hercules and make a classical, really non-evil deity like Pele (and Hades,following the example given) as a threatening villain, mostly because nowadays hipersensibility on cultural topics, but also because the "absolutely evil big bad guy" narrative is obsolete,and relativism is a hot topic.

Also, Hades as a villain was easier than going with the original myth,with its jealous,madness inducing Hera. A god of death is more feasable as a villain,no matter how neutral it actually is.

was Umaga a demigod?

Moana with her hair tied up looks ridiculously fuckable.

I would really like it if they face Pele and Moana just assumes Maui would meet her in battle, just for him to be bewildered by the thought and explaining how that's not all a viable solution. No, they have to calm her in order to prevent damage to humanity.

So I am not the only one who thinks she looks better with it tied.

Looks pretty fun

>quit company
>at least I can go to this other company and not back to fucking Dreamworks
>Disney buys company
>god damn it FUCK

So, she has ocean magic like Elsa had ice magic?

no, the ocean is another entity.

it's like you didnt see the japanese teaser

Moana is cute as hell, but it always bothers me how unimportant she seems in the trailers in comparison to Maui.

Moana is CUTE

No, the ocean is just her fried. Which was pretty much stated word for word in the trailer.

Exactly; the stories I've read about Maui picture him more a like a trickster,ingenuous hero; he doesn't fear battle,but isn't fond of it either. My guess is Pele is annoyed by something, and eventually their mission would be calming her down by making things right.
And what you said,too; Maui is a mighty hero,but he's no match for a god in direct combat,and he knows that.

CUTE

>I'm still falling

Really excited for this. I love the tropical setting.

I was starting to doubt this since there has been no marketing before this month, but I'm glad they kind of delivered. Trailer looks good.

So she kind of has water powers? That's pretty cool

She does not have water powers. The water is her friend, it is another entity of it's own and she has no control over it at all.

This. I'm glad they're upping their game with the looks.

Merida could have poisoned her mother. I never liked that part

Aren't those coconut pirates real folk lore?

I mean, fae folk are sometimes tiny and cute, but most (if not all) are vicious, to say the least.

She was giving no shits to what that would to do her mother as long as she got what she wanted.

The Kakamora are a group of little people tricksters in some Polynesian lore (specifically of the Solomon Islands), but the coconut armor was something Disney came up with

>tfw you don't find Tangled underwhelming
idk, man. Something in that movie reached out to me

Maybe the ocean is possessed by the spirit of Elsa's parents. They drowned in it, right?

This. I wouldn't call him fat. It would be nice if fat people are like him (strong, athletic, etc), but no.

feet?

Don't wanna scare away the male audience.

It's for the children. Just learn to roll with it, i guess

Hopefully, Zootopia will fuck FEEL THE ETHNIC Moana shitskin just like it fucked Finding Faggot Dory in box office.

Moana must fail if Zootopia is to survive

That is actually quite a surprising good doll. It actually looks like her.

Animal companion actually acts like its species, rather than just a dog. That's nice.

"muh B movie" boogeyman.

all disney movies are equal, they just have different audiences, zootopia was for furries, moana is for common audience.

you got your "billion", what else do you want?

Why can't we just be glad that we have hopefully two great animated films coming out?

I think it's pretty clever, actually.
>Kakamora are said to be brown-skinned and hairy
>Disney's Kakamora are, quite literally, brown-skinned and hairy