Why did found footage take so long to get popular?

Hey Sup Forums, I was listening to Red Letter Media's Blair Witch Re:view on SoundCloud when it occurred to me.

While the Blair Witch Project was very popular, the found footage genre didn't really get popular until the late 2000's/early 2010's. The 2 big movies that started this wave of found footage films (which is now ending I think) were Cloverfield and Paranormal Activity. So why did those 2 films start that wave when Blair Witch is arguably the biggest of the genre? Was cause cell phones got better cameras?

What do you guys think?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.soundcloud.com/redlettermedia/the-blair-witch-project-review-extended-untitled-mp3
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Witch_Project
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Link to Re:view btw.

m.soundcloud.com/redlettermedia/the-blair-witch-project-review-extended-untitled-mp3

The resolution in BWP is pretty subpar because consumer home cameras were pretty shitty.

Personally, I think the film was okay. It was just that nothing really happens in Blair Witch.

I mean sure, stuff happens, but not in the way stuff happens in Cloverfield or Paranormal Activity.

>It was just that nothing really happens in Blair Witch.

Pleb

>I mean sure, stuff happens, but not in the way stuff happens in Cloverfield or Paranormal Activity.

Uber pleb

Even if it didn't, it was still pretty popular when it came out. So why didn't Hollywood immediately try to cash in?

>REEEE WHERE ARE THE EXPLOSIONS AND THE EXPOSITION AND WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO THINK THINGS ON MY OWN

fucking kill yourself

Just remembered, another 2 films that launched the craze that's just passed are [REC] and maybe Diary of the Dead (the latter isn't that good though).

Also, Poughkeepsie Tapes came out around that time too, but wasn't super popular.

Marble Hornets came out in 09, and pretty much since then every YouTube found footage series copies it in someway.

Marble Hornet is fucking horrible, so no wonder all those copycats are terrible.

Shilling really doesn't get any more blatant than this.

this flick was overrated garbage

Paranormal Activity came out and made massive money in proportion to how much it cost to make.

But the same thing happened with Blair Witch.

Blair Witch cost $60,000 to make and earned $248.6 million at the box office.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Witch_Project

With that much money, why didn't Hollywood make a bunch of ripoffs to cash in like did with Paranormal Activity.

Hollywood maybe thought it was just a fluke? Or maybe it just thought Blair Witch's viral marketing had more to do with it. I dunno.

Well, I mean viral marketing did become more of thing just cause the Internet was becoming bigger in the 00's.

But idk, Hollywood usually immediately cashes in to something that makes a ton of money, I can't think of any other examples of them writing a movie off as a fluke.

Bump

>doesnt post the link
>WHY DIDNT YOU POST THE LINK FAGGOT

It was only successful because of the marketing
They had everyone believe the footage was real and the revenue generated from the movie was gonna be used to fund a private search party since the cops have called of theirs

Here is the best found footage movie arguably.

>I GAVE YOU BACK THE MAP

what were the trying to convey with this exchange?