Mary-sue Duke Thomas

Mary-sue Duke Thomas
And there may be a tease about a Duke Thomas solo series, too…
Duke to be his own character, like Nightwing is his own character. Aesthetically, Duke is a brawler — he’s not a flying through the sky-type guy. He’s very much on the ground. Scott and I had a big discussion about the weapon. We wanted something iconic for Duke that wasn’t something that came before. We really wanted to add something new to such a long legacy of characters. It’s basically another Batman costume — but it’s not. It’s not for Bruce Wayne; it’s for Duke Thomas.
— Scott Snyder, Declan Shalvey in CBR Interview

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/snyder-teases-duke-thomas-series-spinning-out-of-all-star-batman/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Despite the Dark Knight patrolling Gotham City primarily sans sidekick since Scott Snyder started writing “Batman,” the superstar writer says the high concept of the Dynamic Duo is certainly not dead — it’s just different.

Ahead of this week’s release of “All Star Batman” #2, CBR connected with Snyder and artist Declan Shalvey, who are collaborating on a backup story starring new Bat-protege Duke Thomas. We discussed the new dynamic of the Dynamic Duo as Bruce Wayne mentors Duke, not as the next Robin, but as the next generation of superhero.

Snyder also shared spoiler-ific details about “The Cursed Wheel” story arc, which he says serves as the spine of the series as it takes place before the events presented in the main story featuring Batman and Two-Face illustrated by John Romita, Jr.

And there may be a tease about a Duke Thomas solo series, too…

CBR: In “The Cursed Wheel,” we’re really digging deep into Batman’s relationship with Duke. I love this exchange from Issue #1, where Duke says, “Robin today doesn’t need a Batman.” And Bruce responds, “Good, Batman doesn’t need a Robin either.” I grew up in a time that Batman and Robin were inseparable, but this new generation has seen plenty of Batman without Robin in comics, movie, TV and video games. Is the dynamic duo as we knew it truly dead?
Scott Snyder: No, I don’t think it’s dead. One of the things that is so great about working with Declan and Jordie [Bellaire] is that they are tremendous innovators. Working on “Batman” the last few years with Greg [Capullo], one of the things that we kept coming back to was this idea of, how would Robin function today? I think Damian is an incredible character and makes a great Robin, but if we were putting someone next to Batman now, how could we construct someone who would be relevant both as an inspiring character and as a sidekick?

I don't understand this Duke shit. Just give Batwing prominence if it's a race thing.

We realized that, in a post 9/11 world, Batman is so much more about inspiring people to live bravely than he is about intimidation or scaring bad people back into the shadows. That’s a theme that you and I have talked about many times before, Jeff. Here, that lends itself towards this idea of a Robin, who says, “We’re separate. We’re the generation that you have inspired. We’re empowered. And that doesn’t mean that we’re not indebted to you because we are but we fight crime and offer our own brand of heroism.”

When Declan and Jordie came on and were so dazzling to me in terms of designing Duke’s suit like nothing we’ve seen before, down to giving him his weapon that’s strapped to his back — this all-purpose bat-nunchuk — it really became about what we’re talking about. It’s not that the dynamic duo is dead. It’s about, how do we re-contextualize or reconfigure the concept of a Robin that’s someone’s training under Batman to be their own hero, something new that we haven’t seen before?

I have no problem with this character. This is a different dynamic than the Batman any Robin 's one.
Batman isn' t raising him, Duke is basically in an internship with him.

Declan Shalvey: I think, as well, that the concept of Robin has been stretched and moved so much that it has become so much more than what it was. Being Robin doesn’t necessarily mean that you are Batman’s partner, anymore. All of the Robins have grown up and become their own thing. I’m working on a cover right now that can only be classified as a duo cover, so no, the dynamic duo is not dead. There is nothing to say that Duke is not his own man and a partner to Batman.

Declan, Scott mentioned it, and I love what you are doing with Duke’s super-suit. Can you talk about its design?

Shalvey: Thanks, but Scott should probably start, because when I started, Scott had some very clear ideas of what he was looking for. There were some things that he wanted, and some things that he didn’t.

I like Duke more than most Robins. More than Jason and Tim namely.

Scott Snyder pls.

die,

halvey: I agree, 100 percent with Scott, especially that bit about the brilliance. [Laughs] Can we make sure that stays in there, please?

Scott really wanted Duke to be his own character. Sometimes Robin is too close to Batman. But we wanted Duke to be his own character, like Nightwing is his own character. Aesthetically, Duke is a brawler — he’s not a flying through the sky-type guy. He’s very much on the ground. Scott and I had a big discussion about the weapon. We wanted something iconic for Duke that wasn’t something that came before. We really wanted to add something new to such a long legacy of characters. It’s basically another Batman costume — but it’s not. It’s not for Bruce Wayne; it’s for Duke Thomas

fuck off, many people like Duke.

The only issue I have with Duke is that he's so goddamn vanilla that he bores me to sleep. Even Harper's got more going for her.

Scott Snyder pls.

cbr.com/snyder-teases-duke-thomas-series-spinning-out-of-all-star-batman/

>Duke to be his own character, like Nightwing is his own character.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo die Snyder

I Hope He Dies.

>And there may be a tease about a Duke Thomas solo series, too…
Hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

"He's a fuckin' cunt and i hate him.

I was just telling Snyder what a cunt he is and how much I hate him ...

>Duke that wasn’t something that came before.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

It's probably a royalties thing

Dildo Robin sucks.

Generally DC doesn't pay royalties, they pay equity. And I don't see how there would be any issues anyway at least if they use the African version (not sure about the Fox family) since Morrison created him work for hire.

Anybody is better than Jason.

no thank you. The minute Bruce Wayne is no longer batman is the minute I stop reading it. Especially when you have much better and more deserving characters like Damian.

As others have said, the problem isn't with Duke. It's with his characterization.

Or complete lack of. If not complete, at least lack of an interesting one.

Whsachu talkin' bout willis, he's black.

Did you read the article before copying and pasting that?

Snyder, is Bendis .

maybe snyder thinks being black is a character trait

I miss David.

Give the new character a chance at least. Or is this place Sup Forums?

>Or is this place Sup Forums?
Yep.

>Give the new character a chance at least. Or is this place Sup Forums?
Fuck you Scott.

>Batman is so much more about inspiring people to live bravely than he is about intimidation or scaring bad people back into the shadows

No, that's Superman. That's why they pair well together. One inspires hope, the other fear.

Eat shit, motherfucker. Here's your (You).

>Duke is going to be Batman
Well, Jason is my favorite and he has no chance to be Batman in this universe.

I didn't know that many people hated Duke so much. I loved him in We Are Robin and he hasn't really done much in the Batman books for me to even understand the hate. Like, outside of his talk with Gotham Girl isn't All-Star Batman the only time he's done anything since becoming Bruce's ward?

I hate him because he's Snyder's creation and since Snyder is a race baiter in a few years time he'll set up Duke to get Zimmermaned and we'll read about how that one Batman comic book "really made us think".

Batman inspires hope too, all the heroes do. Superman doesn't have a monopoly on it

I don't get all the Duke hate. Granted I've only read him in Batman, but he seems like a nice kid.

Sup Forums's reaction to this character seems a bit overblown.

What the fuck are you even saying my man?

One of the good new52 titles

>I don't get all the Duke hate.
Fuck you Scott.

I'm really trying to wrap my head about it.
Like, he really doesn't do anything and it seems like most people complain just because he shows up. If you dislike him for that I get it, but some people are acting like he stole their bitch or something.

Because hating Snyder and his work is a meme at this point

Also new characters are always hated unless they are autistic fapbait like Cass or Gotham Girl

Damifag is hard at work I see.

When are the mods permabanning this cunt?

How Gay Are You

Can We Guess If You're Gay Or Straight?

This.
At least we can all see what kind of people characters like Damiam attract

OK, You Are Gay -

I get hating Snyder. I don't hate him or have a strong dislike of his work myself, but I get it. Kinda.

It's just really weird to me because it seemed like a lot of people really liked him and the other kids in we are robin, but it seems like people really started to shit on him the moment he started hanging with Bruce. I know everyone on Sup Forums doesn't have the same opinions, it's just kinda weird to me

I really really really like dick.

This meme needs to stop

>but if we were putting someone next to Batman now, how could we construct someone who would be relevant both as an inspiring character and as a sidekick?

Just admit you're pushing your OC.

user that's a casual tier breakdown of Superman and Batman. I say this as a Superfag, but I think Bruce has been doing a great deal more inspiring in the modern age than Supes anyways.