Diversity is good...

Diversity is good. A diverse stable of writers writing about a diverse group of character often leads to new and exciting storytelling prospects.

The way Marvel does diversity however is deeply cynical and borderline exploitative. They are POC filtered through the lens of an almost entirely white stable of writers who write these characters in an undeniably white way.

Greg Pak is pretty good

If diversity was important for marvel they wouldnt be killing the x-men.

Diversity is nothing more than a marketing strategy

Yeah, we know.

Not really.

And this shit looks so much better than what's coming in marvel nower...

Name a comic that actually pulls this off well, because I want to actually read a diverse comic written by non-whites

Static

Which run? Or just the show?

DC isn't much better than Marvel at this, but I am genuinely interested to see the results of their writer academy since supposedly they have a sizable amount of women and minorities currently enrolled.

Whats weird about Red Wolf is that he never wears what he does in OP's pic. He wears full clothes all the time but for some reason they advertised him as looking like a giant stereotype and apparently didn't see anything wrong with that. Also, if they wanted a Native lead book, wheres American Eagle? Hes stronger than everyone in that pic, has cool tech and an actual good costume, and always tackled social issues (so no one can complain about tumblr pandering). Did anything good come out of All New All Different?

Yeah, all the men at Marvel are a bunch of former fratboys who have a history of doing shit that will trigger tumblr but play nice and act PC as a marketing scheme and to get a cookie for being oh so progressive, because that's the cool thing now.

Most of the women are Radfems who write the same boring safe story where nothing happens and they fulfill their fantasies of beating up everything that opresses them.

And all of the are mostly white and/or straight people too.

True diversity would be having different people if different ethnic backgrounds or races working there, with different outlooks in lofe and political viewpoints (although that last one would make editors and writers clash if they aren't on the same page).

Deathstroke by Priest

>Coates

ignore his beliefs, it's a good book

and this

Vision

You don't need to be black to write a black person. You don't need to be female to write a female. Sure, it can help in certain cases, but to suggest that certain ethnicities and genders should ONLY write within their boundaries is in itself racist and sexist.

That said, Marvel is still doing it wrong. They are completely heavy handed with their pandering, to the point where it comes off feeling like a white jewish man in shining armor stepping in to defend the honor of all black people and all women.

Bendis thinks because Miles is Spider-Man, he should represent all "people of color" (I fucking hate this term) simply because he's black. Nevermind that Spider-Man has been considered a pest, a nuisance, and at times a danger to all of New York. The important thing is that he's black, guys! People of color, guys! Diversity, guys!

No.

New Super-Man.

Ideally Marvel would hire a more diverse background of writers too. Hopefully that will happen in the future.

it WOULD be a good book if it was only about T'challa and not about T'challa and also these lesbians

as it is it's dividing its attention too much for 20 pages

>You don't need to be black to write a black person. You don't need to be female to write a female. Sure, it can help in certain cases, but to suggest that certain ethnicities and genders should ONLY write within their boundaries is in itself racist and sexist.

Nowhere is that being said. The issue is firmly and completely that with maybe two exceptions, the writing staff at Marvel is ENTIRELY white.

You're disgusting. Racism exists because of people like you.

You're sounding a bit triggered there m8, you need a safe space to hug it out bro?

>Nowhere is that being said.
It's clearly implied. OP is bemoaning the absence of colored writers, when that shouldn't matter at all.

If Marvel was turning down colored people applying to work for them, in favor of white people, I could understand the problem. But if colored people simply don't want to work there, why should we force diveristy? Because it would hurt your feelings less?

How? I want to read books by everyone

>If Marvel was turning down colored people applying to work for them, in favor of white people, I could understand the problem. But if colored people simply don't want to work there, why should we force diveristy? Because it would hurt your feelings less?

You have a hilariously misguided understanding of the entertainment industry and the hiring practices therein (A hint for you, "colored people" aren't turning down the opportunity to work there, they're simply not even being asked to pitch), and you aren't worth actually addressing at this point.

Has there been a single good Marvel comic since Secret Wars?

Vision

The X-Men has never been more white. It's funny how diverse Hickman's Avengers roaster was really diverse without being in your face about like numarvel

There have been a few, but they've been buried in the relaunch. Mostly the ones Marvel didn't really push. I think Ms. Marvel is the only heavily promoted book that's good. I like Deadpool, but he's such a meme that he doesn't need promotion to sell.

Vision, New Avengers and Ultimates are all good. Contest of Champions is fun.

A fair number. None of their A-Listers, sadly, but the following are all decent to great:
>Vision
>Ultimates
>New Avengers
>Contest of Champions
>Uncanny Avengers
>Gwenpool
>Ms Marvel
>Captain Marvel
>Totally Awesome Hulk
>Carnage
>Moon Knight
>Silk
>Spidey
>Spider-Man/Deadpool
>Squadron Supreme
>Hyperion
>Nighthawk
>Mockingbird if you can get past a few of the particularly obnoxious SJW jokes
>The Standoff event, and arguably the Captain Americas
>Nova issue #9, but not the rest of it
Which is, you know, more books than I've got on my pull list at the moment. So they're putting out good stuff; it's a shame they're all kind of obscure.

>Bendis thinks because Miles is Spider-Man, he should represent all "people of color" (I fucking hate this term) simply because he's black. Nevermind that Spider-Man has been considered a pest, a nuisance, and at times a danger to all of New York. The important thing is that he's black, guys! People of color, guys! Diversity, guys!
Yeah, but Bendis literally mocked those people in the first issue of ANAD Miles. Which I could get behind if Bendis's concept for Miles wasn't literally just "Spider-Man... but black!"

No.
A diverse stable of writers is useless. A skilled stable of writers is what we need.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, though.

I say this every time but if you have proper scouting methods you'll get both. The main problem with comics is the cronyism.

>It's an alt right shitposting thread

fucking hang yourself

>Diversity

Of course they aren't mutually exclusive and there's nothing wrong with a diverse cast, but it's not necessary either.

Skilled & diverse=good.
Skilled & non-diverse= equally good.
Diversity isn't needed. It's not necessary harmful, of course.

Unless we live in a zeitgeist where publication companies would favor non-skilled diverse groups over skilled non-diverse ones.

Do we?

Skilled and diverse is better than skilled & non diverse, get out of here.

Not to mention the fact that "skill" is a nebulous borderline meaningless term when objective quality is extremely hard to quantify and measure.

>a diverse group of character often leads to new and exciting storytelling prospects.
A forcefully installed group of diverse characters however leads to the very same story over and over and over again.
>Oh no, I'm retiring/dead now
>But wait, there's that teenage black girl
>But who is she really?
>What does it mean to be a hero?
>Can she fill the large footsteps left for her?
>Can her flawless, unoriginal and totally generic tough girl act pass as a personality?

>Diversity is good. A diverse stable of writers writing about a diverse group of character often leads to new and exciting storytelling prospects.

citation needed