Over the Garden Wall

I liked it. I expected more kooky humor and snark as is usual in shows drawn in this style, and even if it had some they didn't go overboard. It came close to boring me at times but it was pretty riveting and well done phantasy overall.

So yeah, fun series.

Pic related was the best character and thing about the show overall.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=unhOBCw3ipE
youtube.com/watch?v=2fMsowmxKzA
youtube.com/watch?v=WlIJBWBIGS4
youtube.com/watch?v=w0F_NK86HTo
youtu.be/qWt7sH14uZ4
midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Over The Garden Wall Vol _1544750
youtube.com/watch?v=XHERW5GT_Tk
youtube.com/watch?v=bfaf30lxUYI
mondotees.com/blogs/news/over-the-garden-wall
youtube.com/watch?v=fkNV-0O1ya8
youtube.com/watch?v=8xd-wcmqfp0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You should read the comic where they give the Woodsman a backstory

CN should have at least one mini-series a year. I'd like to see the things that can be done.

>almost October
>time to get comfy and watch OTGW, laika films, and fall-themed or spooky animated films and shows

>Sacrifices what little life of his daughter he's clinging to (or at least believes he does) because he can't allow an innocent child he barely knows to die
Fuck mang, the Woodsman was a top-tier character

link for the comic?

Oh great, I didn't know there were comic books. You mean this one? It comes out in 5 days where I get English books online. It's called Tome of the Unknown.

Even when he was supposed to come off as creepy and deranged (in those "BEWARE THE BEAST" rants), you could tell there was more to him than it appeared, and he was just trying to do all the good he could, even in his nightmarish situation.

There have been several comics
A one-shot to promote the series, a miniseries with unused scripts and songs and an ongoing with original stories.
Woodsman story is on the mini

Are they doing a part 2 or what

storytime?

I'm at work, fluff off

storytime later, then?

Think there'll be a showing this fall? I loved the original TalkBack threads.

What happened to the newest series?
I got the first issue with Greg going under the covers back to the unknown and continuation of the Woodman's daughter's story, but I haven't seen any new issues since.
Did it get cancelled?

It looked like they were going to do that for a while, because the year after OtGW there was that Royals series, but I haven't heard anything for this year so I'm counting it out.

So there's going to be a vinyl release of the soundtrack on the 21st. I don't have a vinyl player, and I prefer digital besides (I'm all about lossless data), so I'm basically SOL for that, even though the music from OTGW is probably my favorite soundtrack of all time.

fucking hell
life is pain

My friend misheard "patient is the night" as "patient is the knife," and that transformed the feel of that entire song into something cheerfully sinister and threatening for me.

I think it is just not getting scanned

Patient is the Night is comfy and dark as hell. It's about death, obviously, especially considering the context of the episode. But yeah that misread of the title must have thrown your friend through a loop.

God, I hope so.

Haven't seen it in shops either, though I'm in the UK so it maybe it's just not selling here.

OTGW's soundtrack was God-tier

youtube.com/watch?v=unhOBCw3ipE

Best song
youtube.com/watch?v=2fMsowmxKzA

Good taste, my nigs.

I just hope some kind user has a vinyl scanner and will upload FLAC conversions + scans of the vinyl release ;-;

OtGW is what happens when you have creators aping on Miyazaki instead of doing their own thing. It tried so hard to have this kind of 'folksy' & whimsical feel but it was entirely artificial. What you have at the end of the day is a contrived little storybook world that's neither inspired or compelling.

Wait, is a second season coming out after the original 10 episodes?

Yeah but

Not to our knowledge, no. We're just hoping for a rerun this Halloween.

>tfw not even lossless on the blu-ray
>tfw not isolated on blu-ray release either

That is fucking beautiful

Not to mention those numbers.

But seriously, Come Wayward Souls is one of my favorite songs in the series. I love Potato Et Molassu, as well. Very emotional.

I need that Vinyl. Even if I don't have a vinyl player. I just need it so I have it.

I still can't believe this show happened. I'm so glad I was around to experience it. The animation, the story, the characters, the MUSIC, everything culminated into an unforgettable experience.

I just found this video. It's pretty damn chill inducing
youtube.com/watch?v=w0F_NK86HTo

youtu.be/qWt7sH14uZ4

Woodsman was great. I especially loved the twist at the end where he was the one who had gotten lost in the woods, not his daughter.

It's Americana: The Comic/cartoon, so it's not surprising that it doesn't do well in euroland. I usually just buy trades, but according to midtown, at least issue 5 of volume 2 came out.
midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Over The Garden Wall Vol _1544750

I really love this one. How can such a silly song become so damn tragic?

Let's hope someone rips the vinyl coming out next week asap.

So what was up with those black turtles? Was a solid theory ever cobbled together?

youtube.com/watch?v=XHERW5GT_Tk
This one is probably my favorite.

That's my favorite song of the series. It just plays at such a critical point, it's been seared into my memory more than any other.

oh dear lord
I want it so bad
I have 0 vinyl equipment
But I want the vinyl
Let's just hope whoever rips it does it right

In Dante's Inferno, Satan projects 'shadows' of himself into the higher circles of hell. Those shadows are ephermal, unable to harm anyone, but the heroes in the story still try to destroy them wherever they are found.

You see the same thing happening with the turtles. Heroes (the raccoon in E2, dog in E1, Auntie Whispers) try to destroy/get rid of the turtles, and they are black. They're the evil projections of the Beast.

So good. So unbelievably good.

OtGW is one of the best things Cartoon Network has done since it first went on the air.

Except this show was folksy and whimsical. It drew heavily from Miyazaki but it also took a lot from early, American folk art and American folk music styles.

I'd say it's THE best. OTGW is one of my few personal 10/10s in any media. The soundtrack, acting, story, writing, and art are all just so spot on perfect. I can't think of any real problems I have with the series. I even enjoyed the 8th episode because of its tribute to 20's era animation.

You have no idea how good it felt to watch a cartoon that isnt LSD trip inspired.

I loved the voice acting
I loved the singing
I loved the creepiness
I loved the scenery
and I loved how it the ending shows the life of the support characters after the adventure (my favorite thing that a show does)

Though, I did feel the Beast was bit underwhelming because he was so easily killed

9/10

That was kind of the idea of the Beast. What a strong influence he had on others, but is only allowed to exist as long as you allow it to.

Which one has the story where they run into the crazy guys on a boat in the middle of a field? I don't remember it being in Tome of the Unknown but I thought it was one of the first comics released.

I thought the Beast was the most elegantly executed satan allegory they could have ever done. I mean, they also set it up throughout the series. All the threats turned out to be… Nothing. Look at episode 2, for example. Gorilla turns out to be a dude in a suit. Ghost turns out to be lovely lady competitor in the tea business. Auntie Whispers is actually a total doll. Demon in Lorna could be banished with a bell. It's all threats that seem intimidating, but are actually okay. Think about it: it's the Unknown. What goes on in the dark is often not as scary as you think it is. The Beast is a legitimate threat, but he can be bested if you are strong of heart. See what he did to Gregory. He nearly died, but Wirt and Beatrice were able to save him.

>spoiler
Really? I thought it was a perfect end, since the Beast is nothing but another lost soul trying to stay alive. He can't do ANYTHING but deceive and manipulate others, so once someone sees through his facade he's done.
The Beast is honestly one of my favorite villains in recent memory. Plus the fucker can sing like wow.
youtube.com/watch?v=bfaf30lxUYI

>What a strong influence he had on others, but is only allowed to exist as long as you allow it to.

oooooohhhh!
I never thought of it that way.

I can´t tell whether you're being sarcastic or not

I'm being serious.

Oh. Nice.

Holy FUCK, where do I get this? I'm a hipster fuck, I want this so bad!

Unfortunately, that exact vinyl pattern is SDCC exclusive and already sold out. However, coming on September 21st, there's pic related. Same songs, same music, same vinyl, but different print. See here: mondotees.com/blogs/news/over-the-garden-wall

wait wait wait
I'm a moron, and I got it backwards, the Beast eye one is SDCC exclusive
the autumn pattern one is the webstore version

sorry for retardation

Good, because the I like the amber one better. Feels more halloween and less Aperturn Science. Thanks for letting me know the date, I'ma get that day one.

nice
if you do get it, make a thread
rip it and post the FLACs to MEGA
pls

what's your vinyl setup like, user?

also, nice numbers

Can't say my vinyl setup is fantastic, I claim to be a hipster, but I actually don't know much about vinyl itself.I have a Sansui P-D21, it's pretty good.

As for ripping, these things generally come with digital downloads for free now anyways don't they?

I've been doing some reading, and Mondo apparently doesn't do that because it's a 3rd party release contracted to Mondo for distribution. But if they do come with digital download pls post on Sup Forums regardless

I'm just lusting hard after this release, and I totally lack vinyl equipment

"autumn colors fall" gets me every time with how it's both noun verb noun and adjective noun verb. OtGW manages to be both timeless (in terms of year) and very grounded in a specific time (Autumn).

I don't think any other season evokes the same emotional complexity.

It's the "Loveliest, lies of all..." that always gets me. It just sounds so nice, how his voice trails off into a sigh at the end.

Wow... it seriously went from a 9 to a fucking 11

I knew the show had deeper meaning but i was too dense to figure it out.

Holy shit, I'm not the only one! I absolutely adore that line!

I always liked how his rage towards the Beast felt pretty genuine, especially with Lloyd's performance behind him.

Who's your favorite OTGW character and why is it the Highwayman?

youtube.com/watch?v=fkNV-0O1ya8

>Hold your tongue or I'll remove it from your mouth!
Lloyd's performance was absolutely top-tier

I feel so dumb for not recognizing his voice.

No wonder I immediately found him so endearing the moment he opened his mouth.

Wirt

>Felt genuinely sad when he didn't somehow end up meeting with Beatrice in the real world and instead met his real-life crush instead

It was this moment that I realized I am an irredeemable shipper and I deserve to be condemned to Sup Forums.

god I love that song
it was based on the first rotoscoping dance:
youtube.com/watch?v=8xd-wcmqfp0

let's talk about the bird

I seriously thought he was Tom Waits and felt like an idiot when I googled it a little after watching.

Over the Garden Wall was beautiful...

I wanna fuck the hell out of Margueritte Grey

she was so beautiful

the burb was beautiful-er

Shit mang, Margueritte is such an underappreciated character

>Witches don't really use what has become pretty standard chanting and lights magic, they're far more old timey fairy tale witches that do shit like cutting off wings with scissors to make people into humans and fill children's heads with wool to make them slaves
Shit mang, they really nailed the classic fairy tale setting they were going with, the fact that they managed to pull off Americana so well instead of overused western European fantasy is a nice touch too.

Damn it, she needs lewds

We're lucky she even has anything in the booru!

She does? All I'm seeing is Beatrice, Sara, and of course Lorna

Holy fuck that's awesome.

Everything I learn about the show, I love it more. May genuinely be my favorite piece of animation.

I guess I should've specified that it was the Sup Forumsllection booru I was referring to.

MEGA turts

I really liked how the comic built on his character

Right? And while the 8th episode (Babes in Dreamland) gets a generally bad rap, I actually love it, because of all the references to 20's era animation. The entire series is just a huge love letter to classical American art and folk. I love it so much.

>"is there anyone else I should meet?"
>creepy ass dog with the raincloud
>"okay, that's enough of that!"
>entire village cheers
Makes me laugh every time.

How could they manage a sequel? I think characters and forces from Over the Wall could make their way into the real world. There could still be a "heroic journey" aspect to the plot if Wirt and Gregg are trying to get Beatrice back to her family on the other side of the wall.

kek
I loved that shit. I loved how everything looked like it was through a pinhole. I loved the music, the juggling bear heads, and ESPECIALLY the chase scene between Greg and the North Wind. Felt straight out of early-ass Merry Medleys.

They can't manage a sequel. I could maybe tolerate the comics, but the miniseries was completely and totally perfect exactly on its own.

Dangit user I was drinking and I snorted hard.

I wanna burgle those turts if ya know what I mean

nod's as good as a wink to a blind man knowhaImean, knowhaImean, say no more

>Potentially ruin one of the best cartoons that's come out in years with a sequel
Nah, fuck that, just leave it as it is.

>autumn colors fall
It's also a bit of a great visual metaphor with multiple but related meanings, referring to how both autumn changes the colours of the leaves, and causes them to fall from the branch. autumn colors fall (meaning the 'autumn colours' - the leaves - literally fall), and 'autumn colors fall' (autumn brings about the change in the colour of leaves).

You can also extend it to the fact that the leaves having fallen, recolour the landscape as well, as they now blanket the ground.

Image is top cute, and as hard as I ship Beatrice/Wirt… Wirt loves Sara. I want him to be happy with her, and for her to be happy with him.

Also, everything said is true.

Of course he can always pick the fourth option

Best song coming through

Fuck, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they managed to get CN to fund this show, I mean it's a fantastic concept and the execution was perfect but it's just so fundamentally different from basically everything else CN has ever aired.

>quiet, shut-in beauty that you can control with a magic bell

There's one thing he says that always gets to me.

>"Boy. you have it backwards! YOU are the elder child, YOU are responsible for you and your brother's actions."

Always makes me think of all the times I should have been there for my little brother, and all the times I should have kept him out of harms way, instead of swooping in fist flying after the fact.

>Blue ray and collector's edition never

move to australia
some kind australianon posted a MEGA link here a few months back with a MakeMKV rip of the Australian BluRay
actually, if anyone has that link saved, it'd be much appreciated. Tried searching in some archives but couldn't find it.

How the hell did it get made? It's so perfect. It's got amazing animation, amazing background art, music that beats all else, crazy expensive voice actors (the cast is seriously star studded), just… Everything about the show should've been killed in some corporate grump's board room, but it somehow survived and came out literally perfect. What the hell happened.

10/10
top cute harem

I have the SDCC edition, it's fucking rad. I'll try to rip it when I have time. No Old North Wind, though :(

I really expect my older brother to be sort of a roll model.
Whenever he'd do something amazing I felt really inspired.
Whenever he'd ignore me or act petty I felt really sad .

Older brothers are like Father: Lite

I want to ring her bell