It's only been 5 years, but it's kind of astonishing how many false starts the New 52 had

It's only been 5 years, but it's kind of astonishing how many false starts the New 52 had.

Does anyone even remember like the original Robot Man from N52? Remember how Pandora built up to literally nothing? Will they ever explain how Waller gained 100 pounds and aged 30 years?

~*Never to be referenced again*~

I think this Goldrush chick showed up for like 5 panels and was supposed to be the next big thing.

I wonder how much of the wonkiness of New 52 came from Johns having a lot of projects he just could never get to.

This dude showed up less than 2 years ago and I guarantee you that not a single one of you could tell me more than 3 things about him.

Remember when they tried to reinvent Captain Carrot as Rocket Raccoon?

Holy fuck I forgot about her. They should really revisit that, and Captain Cold's Lexcorp heist that disappeared like he did

Wasnt he the thundar son of stone? And he had been made inti bleediacs assistant and then parralax trapped him in the bleed

I was actually pretty excited to see Johns use the DP.

I'm geniunely bummed we'll almost certainly never see Element-Woman again.

He looks like he escaped from the 90s.

Hey remember Turbine from The Flash and the Mister Mind cliffhanger?

DC had to have introduced at least a dozen characters that were originally meant to be other people because they were told at the last minute that they couldn't use the original and were hastily made into a new character.

Take Lobdell's Essence who was almost certainly meant to be Raven originally.

Anyone remember the Beowulf back-up thing they did for a really brief period?

I think he was supposed to be revealed as Deathstroke displaced in an apocalyptic future, but I don't remember how it actually ended.

If there's one good reason to hate Lobdell it's what he did to Solstice.

Another cute brown girl we will never see again.

I remember being really salty at the time that Winick's excellent Generation Lost weekly series was followed up by this piece of shit.

Why was Godiva even on this team?

Starling was probably one of the few original New 52 characters who was worth keeping.

They'll never bring her back.

These dumb shits...

And any of the Wildstorm characters.

They were teasing a new Gen 13 book for a while with Superboy.

I was actually kind of looking forward to it.

DC was really into tron outfits for a while.

Nu52 start was a great mess! Nothing was okay, yet we all had to eat it. What's your favorite Nu52 blunder? Mine is keeping the history of Green Lantern the same.

>Nothing was okay

Not true.

There were plenty of good New 52 books at launch and continuing.

I, Vampire continues to be one of the most underrated gems of the last few years.

I liked Essence but I disliked the whole Caste thing they had with Jason (was it Caste?)

I still cringe whenever I remember Jeff King's photo for Talos backups, what a bad book.

Pandora, man. Fucking Pandora.

Take a great idea -- the actual Pandora from the myth is wandering around, cursed to live forever. Now ruin it with shit writing. I just can't understand how the writer did EVERYTHING wrong.

>robot wearing lipstick

Aww, it thinks it is people!

>DC had to have introduced at least a dozen characters that were originally meant to be other people because they were told at the last minute that they couldn't use the original and were hastily made into a new character.

serious question: how the fuck does that even happen? Did an assistant editor approve something, and later the head honcho changed his mind? Or what?

>one good reason to hate Lobdell
just one? there's a million reasons to hate the son of a bitch. most of them are in new 52 Teen Titans.

>Did an assistant editor approve something, and later the head honcho changed his mind? Or what?

Almost exactly this yes.

It's a shame really, if DC had actually STUCK with all of these concepts and characters they haphazardly introduced instead of immediately shunting them off they would have been so much better off.

It's almost impossible to go back and read huge swathes of the New 52 because so much of it ends on cliffhangers, characters and concepts being wholesale abandoned, and creative teams rotating left and right.

reminder she's STILL in the phantom zone forgotten about

Good
She was utterly ruined, along with the entire series and the BoP as a concept.

t. someone who never actually read 90s comics

but good job trying to fit in

t. someone who has no actual knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at DC.

haha what?

Dude we all know what was going on behind the scenes at DC, just complete and total unrepentant chaos. This is why these things are the way they are, I'm just saying if things actually stuck and the offices weren't in total disarray we might have actually gotten something worthwhile in the long run.

>what goes on behind the scenes at DC.
It's pretty well known.

I would have loved to have had a "fresh start" with Green Lantern instead of the jumbled mess it became. I'm starting to think that Baz was little more than a corporate in-joke merely teasing the readers. Seriously, for what purpose does Baz need both a power ring and a handgun? Unless the gun had bullets that were made out of, IDK, worn out pieces of the central battery that could amplify their intensity through Baz's willpower?

za warudo!!!

Kamala

>for what purpose does Baz need both a power ring and a handgun?
So if someone took away his ring; or he couldn't get it recharged after it ran down; or someone found/created a new way (ie wood, the color yellow) to block it ... he wouldn't be completely helpless?

That version of Robotman had potential has his own unique thing.

Im more disappointed that Garbageman and Tanga didn't get any other stories
>Garbageman created solely because DC didn't want to use Swamp thing but wanted a Swamp thing like character
>permanently shelved after deciding to bring back Swampthing anyways
>Tangas creator had plans for her to have misadventures with other cosmic characters like the GLC, Comet, Adam Strange, Lobo, and L.E.G.I.O.N.
>also shelved after cosmic dc was butchered in N52

It's so fucking weird how easily she fell to the wayside.

She was pretty much just a female Plastic Man, right?

Did she ever appear in the Metamorpho series in Legends?

>Winick's excellent Generation Lost

That's debatable.

I wanted Ocean Masters surface adventures with his surface family

pretty much when the idea to turn Flashpoint into essentially a fresh start for everything (but batman and GL, halfassedly) plots and plans that were scripted and some even drawn out up to 2 years in advance were all tossed and everyone had to start fresh.

That lead to alotta tom fuckery from editors dictating change for the sake of change, comics at the same time stepping over each others toes on storylines, characters acting 180 degrees different between issue to issue and comic to comic

The comics that were mainly self contained and had very little crossover (All Star Western, Demon Knights, I Vampire) remained good but things like Superman and Batman turned into a shitshow fast.

>Early nu52 BoP was a genuine "women kicking ass" title
>Now reduced to being a sideshow for selfie Babsgurl

Are you actually reading the current series, because this week's issue was quite good and the new team is avoiding a lot of pitfalls.

I've been avoiding it on principle, but if it has potential I'm willing to check it out.

A good example of the editorial tom fuckery was the Vampire army shitshattering Gotham City in JLD and I Vampire.

>army of vampires fucking up city and not even Batman and the batketeers could stop em
>this isn't just a few minute event but a mostly 24 hour shitshow for the city
>no one shows up but JLD, an old man, an teenager, and Bennett as backup
>major threat level magic villain appears and threatens the whole world with vampire apocalypse
>jack shit is done by any of the heroes
>soon as Cains defeated Gotham cities mind is wiped
>still sizable portions of Gothams population was turned into vampires and leave with Bennett
>still sizable amount of damage to the city
>never mentioned again by Batman or any of the Gotham heroes again

Both Batgirl and Batgirl + BOP get a lot of completely undeserved heat on this board simply because of the previous run.

Both runs are pretty solid right now and easily beat the shit out of the majority of the New 52 efforts.

That book was so bad, a character actually walked off from the comic to never come back.

>It's almost impossible to go back and read huge swathes of the New 52 because so much of it ends on cliffhangers, characters and concepts being wholesale abandoned, and creative teams rotating left and right.
there's a reason I decided to just pretend DC had published nothing in the main continuity between Flashpoint and the Rebirth special, and any plot holes caused by or references involving anything published in between that gap are due to Dr Manhattan's(and probably The Empty Hand's as well) manipulations in the background, you honestly don't really lose anything of any importance in doing so

>voice like a cartoon

How? What you guys imagine?

This...actually looks cool. Where is it from?

Sword and Sorcery. Though I think Beowulf's story concluded in DCU Presents.

>people still fall for the Mcduffie comics are good meme
Remember when Black Panther beat the Silver Surfer in hand to hand combat

that is SO CLOSE to a good design