Daily Japanese Thread - DJT

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1434656374
hinative.com/en-US/questions/35417
hinative.com/en-US/questions/5738185
hinative.com/en-US/questions/10261
hidokei.org/blog/?p=1367
chigai-encyclopedia.com/michi_chigai/
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1322575963
jisho.org/word/凸凹
sporcle.com/games/zherry/top-100-kanji-by-meaning
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can I learn japanese?

サメろ

everyone can learn japanese if they spend enough time and effort on it

sorry no

what would you think about a thread called "Japanese Culture and Language Thread - JCALT", where anime, manga, otaku etc. discussions are encouraged next to language learning?
we could just include the guide and the DJT tag as it is now, but try to extend the scope of the thread by basically including an anime/manga general

try it
if go bad, put it back in place

Am I missing something or are 1-5 all interchangeable for every sentence? I just looked them all up and they seem to all be related to laughing. The question asks you to choose an appropriate one though, so I don't know.

日本語でsorry。
今朝、このthreadが立っていなかったせいで、ここの住人がJTに数人来てた。
そして英語で日本語の勉強法などを語っていたけれど、日本人は英語が
わかる人が少数なので少し困った。
できればここで、英語で、日本語の勉強をしたり、アニメや漫画を語り合って、
どうしても日本人に聞きたいことがあるときだけJTに来たらどうかな?
そのほうがこのthreadに人が増えると思う。
JTスレでは、日本語と簡単な英語で語り合う事ができれば私(日本人)は嬉しい。

これは自分の個人的な意見で、JTスレッドの日本人全員の意見ではありませんが...

>I just looked them all up and they seem to all be related to laughing
Unless Autism is your superpower, even Jisho provides enough insight to help you contextualise those options.

Not if you mine wisely. There's no need to use Anki to remember straightforward combinations of information you already know. There are people at 17K cards who say they mine 30 or 40 words a day. I'm not even particularly conservative in what I'm willing to mine, but that's just ridiculous. Yesterday I read 40 pages of ウォーレスの人魚 and found 4 new words, which is less than I would encounter reading Moby Dick in my native English. (But modern novels are my comfort zone, Wikipedia history articles would be more difficult.)

I still feel like a lot of them are interchangeable in some of the sentences. But this is the first time I've seen/used them.

I would be grateful if you don’t come to JT thread for asking questions about Japanese learning with frequency
thank you

please explain difference between が and は
thank

理論的にはそうしたらいいと思うんですが、日本人以外、今の日本語スレにいる者は自閉症児ばかりです

Bump for great justice!

There is nothing stopping you from discussing weebshit in here, changing the name will just give a "look at this new general, let's bully it back to Sup Forums" feel to it. And it might succeed because it's not Sup Forums related, whereas DJT was court ordered to be here.

>ティ。英語先生

>There is nothing stopping you from discussing weebshit in here
I know, but it's more about keeping this thing afloat... it's digital evolution, you adapt to your new environment or you die and we're doing the latter

>changing the name will just give a "look at this new general, let's bully it back to Sup Forums" feel to it. And it might succeed because it's not Sup Forums related
it would still be Sup Forums related because it still includes language learning, that aside, Sup Forums has many threads that are way more offtopic

maybe I'll give it a try when this one dies again after 50 posts

I don't get the rebranding. Why not just change the description?
Daily Japanese Thread - weebshit and learning Japanese.

>I don't get the rebranding. Why not just change the description?
that's not sufficient, everyone knows DJT and no one who doesn't learn japanese ever visits

And people who want to learn Japanese won't visit the non-DJT new thread and just go to autism central /jp/.

it will most likely fail, but whatever... then we're just back where we started

Any progfags here? How hard would it be to have an application doing the following:

- scan Sup Forums's catalogue for thread with "DJT" on its title
- if DJT thread is on page 9+
- if total posts < 310
- send alert of thread dying

This could be either individually used or maybe even configure a Discord bot that posts a warning on the general channel so the hundreds of dekinais can be useful for something.

make a manga general on Sup Forums for raws and link the djt site to anyone who asks how to learn Japanese

>Had three questions already lined up to keep the thread alive with
>Managed to find the answer to 2/3 on my own after sleeping on it
We may be dying but at least I'm less useless now.

Anyway, pic related: I was confused about what 原則 added but then I found the answer:
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1434656374
One detail that's bothering me though is that it's kinda just attached to 禁止 as if to form a new verbal noun. The lack of a particle feels kinda funky, I've only seen nouns connected to each other like that in the case of strictly uninflectable nouns like 日本放送協会 or whatever. Is there a rule for this? Somewhere I can read more about it?

A good one, but requires a lot of time to keep a thread alive over there.

Second question: The difference between 道 and 路. I've gotten non-harmonious answers.
hinative.com/en-US/questions/35417
hinative.com/en-US/questions/5738185
hinative.com/en-US/questions/10261
I skipped ahead a bit to see if it was mentioned who went where at the fork but I don't think there was any indication.
So my thinking is that since Jisho includes "path" for 路 but not 道 the author used 路 to show that 妹ちゃん is going to the right down that narrow path.
Not entirely sure though, mainly because of the hinative links, but I feel like that's correct. I'd like to know your opinions on the matter however.

道 is the concept of a trajectory, 路 is the literal path she steps on.

原則 is an uninflectable noun

>it's kinda just attached to 禁止 as if to form a new verbal noun.
yes

>Is there a rule for this? Somewhere I can read more about it?
it's pretty straight forward so I doubt it, the japanese seem to care way more about english grammar than japanese grammar for whatever reason so trying to look for this shit is a nightmare

if you wanted to ask or search about it i would use 複合名詞 (which by itself is a 複合名詞, huh would you look at that)

hidokei.org/blog/?p=1367
chigai-encyclopedia.com/michi_chigai/
detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1322575963

if you can't read these then stop dwelling on dumb issues until you can

>trajectory
stop

コトバンク lists both definitions for 道 though
>1 人や車が通行する所。みち。
>2 人として踏み行うべきみち。道理。特に、仏の教え。
Also I'm fairly certain that 分かれ道に差し掛かる is being used literally here, not metaphorically.

"Lost one's way" being used figuratively doesn't mean the literal sense is lost, the 路 is just a way to explicitly turn into the real thing.

And I think the problem here is that there are three levels of 道 to consider here:

1) Literal: The road, pathway, surface through which you go;
2) Still literal, but intangible: The sequence of directions one has to take from A to B;
3) Figurative: The necessary steps to achieve some goal.

道 is all of them, but is probably being used as 2. 路 is used as 1.

what in the goddamn fuck are you talking about

分かれ道 means "split path" "forked road"

it's talking about a literal forked road she is on and so is 路(みち) directly after that

>if you can't read these then stop dwelling on dumb issues until you can
At a quick glance I think I can read all 3 albeit slowly.
You're probably right but at the same time I think all the questions I've had are probably "dumb issues". Aside from vocab I haven't had to look up much grammar at all so it feels like I'm not working very hard. But then again I'm probably far less likely to not see this all the way through since it feels like proper i+1. Anyway, thank you. I'll try to stop stressing stuff like this.

Are you using "lost one's way" as an example or are you misunderstanding what 分かれ道に差し掛かる means?

It's just an example.
And 分かれ道 being a compound of its own, it's less likely to be written with alternative spellings. The lone michi word is changed to give it emphasis on the physicality of it.

Okay, now I get what you're saying.
But then, if you're correct, it makes me wonder what the point of emphasizing the physicality is.

Japanese News Template:

1) Extreme weather (snow, typhoon)
2) Crime case with slow-mo shots of the suspect being led away by the police
3) Traffic accident
4) Weather report with one lady explaining the weather and the other going "ああ。。。そおですね。。。はい。。。”
EVERY
FUCKING
DAY

相槌 is really annoying, holy shit. I will never fully integrate because of this.

How many hours of compelling content did you consume today?

I'd probably just do it sarcastically all the time, because that's the only time I constantly back-channel in my native tongue.

"reaaaaaally? you don't saaaay... nooooooo that must've been sooooooo hard... "

jisho.org/word/凸凹

Holy shit those kanji

So far, 0. I always end up cramming in my Japanese studying in at 11pm

The only thing that amazes me is that it doesn't have an obvious sexual meaning/innuendo.

sporcle.com/games/zherry/top-100-kanji-by-meaning

What's your score djt?

sorry user.. only training for a month so far

Pretty cool. I should have known them all though.

I couldn't guess for the life of me what the fuck they wanted for 合, 相, and 学
I tried "school" and "learn" and shit for 学 too, surprised that didn't work when some of the shit I typed for the others did