Can we talk about The Beverly Hillbillies for a minute?

In my opinion, The Beverly Hillbilles was so successful because it was a multi-layered show. On the surface, it has well timed slapstick and well written wise-cracks, but digging a little deeper reveals something much more interesting. At it's core, The Beverly Hillbillies is a criticism of modern Americanism. Think about it: every member of the Clampett family represents an old-timey value or characteristic that's been left in the dust as the world keeps on advancing away from traditional values.
Jed embodies traditional masculinity through his simple, honest responsibility. His major conflict is leading his family through tough times while also trying to adapt to his new life.
Elly May represents the youthful innocence of yesteryear, the likes of which have long since vanished from today's teenagers.
Jethro is the classic uncomplicated youth. Always pursuing some wild dream at the drop of a hat, his simple persona conflicting with a complicated and corrupt world, all the while remaining blissfully unaware of the darkness he constantly brushes shoulders with.
Granny is the personification of elderly tenacity and perseverance. She's guided exclusively by the old ways and is totally disinterested in modernism. She bears the mental and physical scars of old age, yet she still manages to keep pace with the rest of the gang.
The show also tackles TONS of issues that even modern dramas shy away from. Consumerism, change, death, time, politics, ageing, racism, sexism, elitism, extremism, idolization, greed, peer pressure, raising a child, throw-away culture, historical nuance, ethics, frivolity, rivalry, pacifism, retaliation, preserving the past, accepting the future, forgiveness, societal norms, rebellion, cultural objectivism, thankfulness, love, etc.
Despite tackling so many issues, the show never seems preachy. They always succeed in portraying both sides of an argument and giving credit where credit is due in the form of Jed's monologues and ramblings.
cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aMiRGCGIfCg
youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Despite it’s criticism of the modernistic lifestyle, we also see the benefits represented fairly as well. Miss Jane is the diamond in the rough of societal progress. Her first interaction with the Clampetts is representative of how the new world and the old world are at odds with each-other, but the understanding nature of the Clampetts and the open-mindedness of Miss Jane managed to bridge the gap and create a compromise, thus showing us that there exists a happy medium. She acts as the guide through a totally incomprehensible world for the Clampetts, rationalizing the old and explaining the new. At first she’s hesitant to take on the old ways of the titular characters, but she quickly comes to see merit in their simple outlook on life and everything else.
The Drysdales, however, are representative of the natural conflict that must exist between polar opposites. At first, Mr. Drysdale is only interested in their money, but he gradually warms up to them as time goes on. His character walks a fine line between maximizing profit and remaining on good terms with the Clampetts, who practically scorn money for all intents and purposes. At first, he’s the typical grouch with a heart of gold once you get to know him, but he’s gradually eaten up by greed as time goes on and eventually turns into an underhanded antagonist. Mrs. Drysdale, however, is never friendly towards the Clampetts. Her character is above all else a social butterfly. As such, she’s trapped in her box to the point that anything of less than perfect poise and social presentation is a direct affront to her livelihood. In a way, she’s a direct parallel to Granny in that they’re both firmly rooted in their ways and refuse to budge from them. Unlike Mrs. Drysdale, Granny eventually softens up towards some topics and accepts the progress that has occurred since she was first introduced into the world.
cont.

C-c-c-combobreaker!

Is this what that weird Al song was based off of?

Dangit, user.

We also see a totally alternate perspective on life and the value of things as well. The Clampetts judge the luxuries of modern life purely from a functional point of view. Their impressions of a pool table as a “fancy eatin’ table, the swimming pool as a “cement pond”, the tennis court as a stock pen, etc. This is the writers stepping back and taking a look at the common frivolities so many of us experience, yet fail to see the absurdity of.

Anyways, I could ramble on like this for quite a while, but I’ll leave it at that. Idunno, discuss now. Or laugh at me

What weird Al song?

>How to spot a millennial
Yes. The Weird Al song is the lyrics to The Beverly Hillbillies theme set to the tune of Money For Nothing.

What song is he talking about?

A song literally called (for legal reasons): Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies. It was in Al's 1989 movie "UHF"
youtube.com/watch?v=aMiRGCGIfCg

>for legal reasons
wat?

Huh. Never knew this existed. The animation kinda freaks me out for some reason tho.

From Wikipedia:
>Yankovic commented on the legal complications with the titling of the song in the DVD audio commentary for the film UHF, explaining: "We had to name that song 'Money for Nothing "slash" Beverly Hillbillies "asterisk"' because the lawyers told us that had to be the name. Those wacky lawyers! Whatcha gonna do?"
It's suppose to be like the Money For Nothing music video
youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

I literally thought the Beverly Hillbillies was just some weird Al skit of something he came up with LMAO

You're excused from living.

What's that supposed to mean grandpa?
You mad cause I don't know your 1920's shit-com

Banjo playing, cousin fucking, moonshine swilling, bible thumping, Trump voting degenerates deserve to be doused in crude oil and set ablaze.

Just bantz, friend, no need to get upset.

OP, NICE WRITE UP EXCEPT THAT THE CLAMPETT'S FAMILY TREE DIDN'T FORK!!!FACT!!!

This is my first time on Sup Forums and I'm starting to think that this is one of "those" boards. Is this place generally better or worse than Sup Forums?

Pretty comfy show

I remember being real young and watching this with my senpai and fealing so comfy and good

How old are you, user? Wondering how much of today's youth actually knows what this is even vaguely.
t. millennial

Didn't Weird Al write a song about this guy?

Is this bait? This place is weird, man. If genuine, read the thread. If not... well then I don't know what.

nostalgia, im old enough to remember beverly reruns as a kid, and jammin to dire straits as a teen.

I'd say it's about as bad, except you can very rarely get a good thread about a topic. For whatever reason, it seems like most people here prefer to meme and shitpost for as long as they can, they only want to talk about superhero movies and blockbusters, and they either can't or won't elaborate on their opinions beyond describing a specific scene in a film and calling something kino/shit. It's a shame, but there's not much that can be done until we get /film/ or some equivalent that isn't so heavily trafficked.
I'm afraid I can't really contribute to this thread because I've never seen the show, but I appreciate your attempt at a quality thread and it's has made me interested in checking it out. Thanks, user

You didn't mention Fairchild

not funny anymore
gay meme for redddit people

Thanks for the rundown, buddy. I highly recommend watching as long as you keep in mind that it's over 50 years old. It's aged pretty well, but it's still ancient history by modern standards.

Not much a drunk bear can really bring to the table. Unless you have some analysis?

>yet fail to see the absurdity of.
I can't get over how you just ended a sentence with a preposition.
It's like you don't even care.

Good try

I remember being really young when it wasn't in reruns yet. I think it was supposed to be a disraction from Vietnam. I don't know, I was in grade school.

Paul Henning was a pretty good comedy writer. He also created petticoat junction and green acres which are all really solid nick-at-nite core.
Personally I liked green acres more than the hill billies.

Good job user now do Green Acres

Fairchild was a metaphor for the Johnson administration

There was a scene from an episode where Jethro opens a diner and and some point he spins a stool seat at the counter and it suddenly flies out of the shot. It was a very unexpected and funny sight gag. Love that show.

>tfw you've jerked off to green acres cuck fan fiction on the early days of the internet
Pretty hot. Arnold totally went rooting around Ms. Douglas' back yard.

Ah, I'm Canadian, so not super informed on 'murica politics. Could you elaborate?