Why aren't they as depressed as their East Asian neighbors? Does modernity actually make you unhappy?

Why aren't they as depressed as their East Asian neighbors? Does modernity actually make you unhappy?

?

We are too busy to feel depressed.

Japanese and SKoreans are overworked too. From WHO's ranking of countries by suicide:
South Korea: 10
Japan: 26
China: 115

>ignoring the whole "installing suicide nets under worker dorms" thing

I dunno about korea but I think japs have a suicide culture, it's the ultimate way of redeeming yourself if you feel like you failed at life, in any other country you just become an alcoholic or a bum

They aren't actually overworked. Both Japan and Korea have lower work hours than the US.

All of the things you're talking about are very complex phenomena, it's normal that we don't find just simple correlations between them.

Btw,your country also has high suicide rate,why?

asians actually work though not just sit around in walmart sharting their pants

I didn't realize Switzerland was happy with being car-hating nazis

>Hungary

shit sucks
I'm not dissing I'm just saying, we have high suicides because living here sucks, asians have high suicide rates because it's part of their culture

>culture
"Culture" doesn't really contributes a lot to complex metrics like suicide rates, homicide rates, mental diseases prevalence, happiness, working hours etc., if that were true we would find clusters of countries with similar cultural background grouped together on those metrics and they would barely overlap, following OP's example for instance, countries/regions like China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan share a lot of cultural traditions (they're East Asian, traditionally Classical Chinese was used as a lingua franca, Confucian, Mahayana Buddhism-secularism, etc.) and yet they perform very differently on those metrics, maybe it was a surprise to OP and other people but the truth is that the reason why some countries or people have high suicide rates is because of things related specifically to suicide rates, the reason why some countries or people have high homicide rates is because of things related specifically to homicide rates and so on.

>Why aren't they as depressed as their East Asian neighbors?
Have you talked to a Chinese person? Not just watched the state media?

chinese seem to be optimists by nature, and by and large china is still growing and improving rapidly, so they can expect a bright future.

This. Honestly, I’m always astounded by the sense of optimism that Chinese display. The quality of life has improved tremendously over the last 25 years. To most Chinese, China becoming the most powerful country in the world is only a time question.
t. 去中国留学

Let's expand OP's example.
Again as stated above, if culture is so important to suicide we would find similar countries with similar culture very close to each other on suicide rates, but that's not exactly what we see.

Age-standardized mortality rate (per 100 000 population) in 2015:
Sri Lanka 34.6 (highest in the WHO Database)
Guyana 30.6
Mongolia 28.1 2
Kazakhstan 27.5
Angola 25.9 9
South Korea 24.1
Sierra Leone 22.1
Hungary 15.7
Japan 15.4
Togo 15.4
Uruguay 15.2
North Korea 15.2
Nigeria 15.1
Hong Kong 12.6
Taiwan 12.1
Macau 9.6
Turkey 8.6
Singapore 8.6
Luxembourg 8.5
Portugal 8.5
China 8.5
Niger 8.5
Nepal 7.2
Vietnam 7.2
Afghanistan 7.1
Grenada 0.4
Barbados 0.3
Antigua and Barbuda 0.0 (lowest in the WHO Database)

because third worlders are pretty happy, being pressed by society on every aspect is not a great feeling at all
I'm glad being third world
but not for China, they're getting their first world status soon

Visiting a country as a tourist and looking at people isn't an effective way to figure out of depression is a problem there.
although fyi I've been to China, from countryside to rural town to metropolis.

happiness is a meme anyways.

I mean they are on the rise, and Trump is basically the nail to the coffin of any kind of liberal democracy in China, being the ultimate boogeyman for their news to use as an example of democracy

It will become my country on steroids and creatine, but also a superpower

>and Korea