Started using VLC like seven years ago

>started using VLC like seven years ago
>discovered the speed function shortly after that for audio files like lectures and podcasts
>eventually started watching all shows and movies like this
>now, I can't hear recorded spoken word, or watch anything unless I can control the playback speed
>can't watch television with my friends, or my parents, and I can't see movies in the theater anymore

Does anyone else have this problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

enounce.com/docs/BYUPaper020319.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I used to have this problem once when I started trying to see what all my favorite songs sounded like at 0.5x and 2x speed. You get so used to it that you feel like you can't enjoy anything otherwise, like you said perfectly. To make it stop just force yourself to listen to stuff at a normal speed and the problem in your mind will go away soon, don't worry too much.

>To make it stop just force yourself to listen to stuff at a normal speed and the problem in your mind will go away soon, don't worry too much.
It's not a problem I want to fix, as, even if I could watch content with other people, I would still watch 99% of my content alone, which I very much prefer to watch it at my rate. It's not something I'm bemoaning, I just want to know if others have the problem and I have actually told people this is the reason they can't watch movies or shows, like I have.

Sorry. Btw, just noticed you said lectures. I recently started watching videos about topics I need to learn for college, at twice the speed. I don't know if it really helps (I have trouble retaining infomation in my mind in general) but yes, I can't watch any of these videos at half the speed anymore, I feel like it's a waste of time when I can finish "learning" or "studying" twice as fast.

only for music.
i have to manually slow down most of my songs because it started when i would get so fucked up on heroin that i needed all my songs slow as fuck to match my high.

Severe autism?

No, just you, 'user'.

OP here. I would never speed up actual music because that distorts it in a much harsher way than I ever find to be the case with the human voice.

How is that autism? "Many viewers report that accelerated viewing keeps their attention longer: faster delivery keeps the viewer more engaged with the content."
"Some studies report that after being exposed to accelerated playback, listeners become uncomfortable if they are forced to return to normal rate of presentation."
enounce.com/docs/BYUPaper020319.pdf
Contemporary Issues in Experimental Phonetics, chapter 12, pages 419-458. Academic Press, 1976.

>quote, link, date
Did you make this post intentionally autistic? kek

Meh, that was probably going to far, but I'm just pointing out there's nothing inherently "autistic" in wanting to watching content at an accelerated rate, and then feeling uncomfortable when they listen at normal speed.

No because I'm not an autistic mistake like you.

Its like the pokemon emulators on the pc. I couldn't play the regular gameboy games anymore after I got used playing them at 10x the speed

You're a sad cunt

apparently you're putting all the save time to good use by shitposting on Sup Forums.
bravo.

A game like Pokemon is different because a significant portion of the time will be spent just mashing the A button as you power through the battles. Speeding up recordings of live lectures makes sense too because the lecturer will often talk at a slower speed than necessary because they are writing something on the board or waiting for students to take notes.

But with films and TV, the delivery of dialogue can be quite important. If you don't care about that then it's not an issue, but then you're better off just reading a plot summary online and not bothering to watch the video at all.

This is a somewhat valid point. However, I also enjoy the shows and movies more when I can speed them up. It's not like I originally did it to save time.

I regret that post, but that seems a little harsh.

>3 years ago
>went to wikipedia to read a plot synopsis to tell if I've seen a movie I wasn't certain I had seen or not
>hadn't seen it so I put it on
>knew exactly what was going to happen all the time since I'd already read the plot
>start thinking why should I waste 2 hours of my life on something I can do on wiki in less than five minutes?
>haven't watched a single movie since then, I just read the wiki plot synopsis and the only thing I miss out on are action scenes and other unimportant filler

Not all movies are about the plot though.

that's alright, I'm not interested in hippie trash

I actually really play video games anymore, partially because I can't speed up through cutscenes, and long pauses, and also my PC couldn't really handle anything beyond the N64-PS1 generation at accelerated rates, which is too old for me.

I wouldn't play Pokemon any more because that's not really challenging at any playback speed.

It sounds like you are too fast for this world. Maybe you need some hobby like car racing.

Do you prematurely ejaculate?

>But with films and TV, the delivery of dialogue can be quite important. If you don't care about that then it's not an issue, but then you're better off just reading a plot summary online and not bothering to watch the video at all.
That doesn't really follow. The only thing you're missing when you watch a show or movie at an accelerated rate is the intended timing, and even then, you can get a sense of what the timing of certain scenes are in relation to each other by comparison, (e.g., you know when something is supposed to be dramatic because they start speaking slower than they usually are, even if they're speaking faster than in a normal scene at the regular rate). I can somewhat sympathize with the notion of respecting the creator and watching content at the intended rate, (which is violated are a rule when watching most films of the silent era, with the playback rates increased by 1.33x, but you're way off base in thinking that somebody watching something at an accelerated rate gets nothing from a work than they would get from a summary, missing out dialogue, visuals, music, pacing, etc., that can very easily be understood at higher playback speeds.

Hm, I've never had sex, so I don't think so.

Dude delivery and pacing don't mean anything because my autism prevents me from enjoying things as they're intended because I don't actually enjoy or analyze anything I just like to have things going to occupy my autistic brain lmao

literally me

That's a bad thing, though. Your attention span is something you can and should train. If you're speeding up lecture videos so you can """learn""" faster, then you're going to check out of real life classes as a result.

This is a good point. However, if I took this to heart, I would challenge myself more with things that require my attention, which isn't shows or movies.

delet