/lang/ - Language Learning General

Sup Forums's most patrician general edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. (feel free to contribuite

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3QyX9XhGX3s
youtube.com/watch?v=_FRKBxLvKmw
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Hungarian
youtu.be/aZItyhGb9fk
youtube.com/watch?v=TgRte6oSoF8&t
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

OP screengrab source [short video]:
youtube.com/watch?v=3QyX9XhGX3s

More in-depth video on the same topic of comprehensible input:
youtube.com/watch?v=_FRKBxLvKmw

Krashen is based

Let's try out some Japanese I learned:
下げる。

C O M P R E H E N S I B L E I N P U T
O
M
P
E
L
L
I
N
G
C
O
N
T
E
N
T

Holy fuck did the last thread only last 12 replies

It died when Euros were just waking up and Americans were going to bed or already sleeping

Hmm l will work on my German and ask some German questions later

Also, check out the Hungarian wiki page, much improved

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/Hungarian

Why does no one post in here. Tell about what languages you know, are learning and want to learn. Any small breakthroughs lately? Or have you hit a wall. Just fucking gety psting boys. I myself am very close to fluent in Irish and french. Late begin stage with spanish and going to start learning Korean once I'm finished with uni. Wish me luck lads.

Yes it's good that an Irishman is getting close to being fluent in Irish

German and Latin

Chinese is so fucked up. Especially, pronunciation.

you have a long road ahead of you bucko. keep at it tho, it'll be worth it.
Why latin? For school or just for reading out of your own interest?

>Why latin? For school or just for reading out of your own interest?
my own interest and because, regrettably, I didn't study it in highschool since I went to a technical school

Did you at least get a covetted apprenticeship and guaranteed lifelong factory job?

Good luck then bud. All the cases are a nightmare from what I've heard.

This is why I think anki is dumb and should only be used as a tertiary tool if at all. This is also why playing certain games can be quite effective at teaching. Skyrim for example is especially great because of all the actions you must do in the game like opening and closing doors, harvesting flowers, or whatever. The voice actors are quite good in both French and German versions.

Another thing I really like are things like this:

>Die Gäste kommen aus vielen verschiedenen Ländern.
>Kommen die Gäste nur aus einem Land? >Nein, die Gäste kommen aus vielen verschiedenen Ländern.

A statement followed by a question then followed by an answer. You get triple exposure to the same words with minor changes that highlight the difference in meaning.

no, at least where I live tech schools are nearly useless
but I'm also studying applied maths in uni so that should hopefully lead to something

I have some cute Americans in Latin class

youtu.be/aZItyhGb9fk

I thought worse at the beginning, maybe my exposure to German first sort of "prepared" me to Latin due to its simpler but still hard case system(at least hard to us romance/english speakers and our essentially complete lack of cases).

Also knowing Italian definitely helps immensely with the vocabulary, not only because of the roots but also because genders essentially overlap except for the neuter, and I can also nearly always guess the noun declension from the ending of the corresponding Italian noun(a -> 1°, o -> 2°, e -> 3°, etc...).

Wait, are you learning Latin because my ancestor?

in part I guess

aint nothin' wrong with that

>Start reading literature.
I already read every single day.
I've noticed that reading doesn't help to improve active vocabulary.

> How is it possible to speak your native language at only a middle school level?
Throughout most of my life I've had a bad case of /r9k/ faggotry. I also used to browse exclusively english content on the internet since it had all the good stuff.
When I speak english people usually think I am American.

> Did you graduate high school or attend uni?
Only finished High school.

The race of Casanova on /r9k

I find reading only helps to solidify the shit you've already learned. But it does a very good job of it imo and is better than using anki or some shit once you're past beginner

not him, but I was thinking about combining the two, basically starting to read something I'm interested in and as I encounter a word I don't know, add it with its translation to a custom anki set and then review them at the end of the day with it

Can't hurt to try it.

waddup any progress in Korean ?

That's one of the best way to practice a language

hello my french fren
I can introduce myself, say where I'm from, that is(not) few basic bits of vocab and think I'm getting the pronunciation change rules down pretty well. How's your korean anyway?

stagnating, I don't have time these days, tons of exams, our Korean exams are large lists of vocabulary, needless to say that it's pretty pointless.

Hopefully I can go on an exchange program next year to 성균관 university, a pretty good school. I have funny a anecdote on this topic.

Tell us the funny anecdote, Jacques

>I have funny a anecdote on this topic.
Let's hear it.
>stagnating, I don't have time these days
Sure but how good are you and how long have you been studying?

Can you correct me a phrase please?
>If we had said that in the XVII century the people would have laughed at us
Si nous avions dit cela au 17 siècle les gens se moqueraient de nous
I know when you make an indirect report one verb demands an specific one after.Want to know if I made the correct one, I thought it could be "ils se seraient moqués" maybe?

In my school to be part of the exchange program you had to pass your first exams and then you had a meeting with the Korean teachers and they would choose in which university you were allowed to go. In my major there are about 60people, 5 guys and 55girls. The overwhelming majority of the girls are your stereotypical Koreaboo.
Our main Korean teacher came to me at the end of a lecture and told me she would put me in the best possible univ because "the girls only care about Korean drama".
>mfw not being Korea saved my life

>Sure but how good are you and how long have you been studying?
I spent 10months in Seoul and learnt Korean by myself, and now I'm studying it as a part of my major, so it's been around one year and half. I have a very average level, around A2/B1, but it's quite difficult to tell. Future seemed quite gloomy but now I have huge incentives to study Korean because I was made really interesting propositions, right now I just don't have time because of my exams.

Yes it's "se seraient moqués de nous"

>videogames in target language
mm nice should try this

>anki as a tertiary tool
yes, agreed. Good for that though.
Personally I use Anki like this: any particularly important or interesting words, I look them up, find a context, and make a flashcard of the sentence with a translation. It's just for vocabulary revision, things I've already seen.
I used to have a shitdown of decks downloaded.... "5000 most used words", "10000 sentences in _". It was pointless. You just get completely swamped by all these cards which don't mean anything to you. It becomes a chore and you lose interest.
So, one day recently, I just deleted all that, and well as the shitty old decks I had since starting the language with basic single words and their translations.
Now I just have a few decks with sentences I've made. It's much nicer, and much more satisfying.

Being able to see my mistake means some improvement. Thanks man, have a flower

Post your estats frends
>actively learning: Spanish, Italian, Japanese
>in future: German

My Spanish and Italian are above intermediate. At this point it's just about finding compelling content to increase exposure. I talk to a few qts as well.
Japanese is a tricky one. I like the language, but I've been taking a class this year and it's a real drudgery. Course content is stale. Teacher barely interacts. This is how I imagine they learn English in Japanese schools, and obviously nips can't into English for shit. I think I'm going to drop the class and just continue on my own. Hopefully I have passed the beginner hurdle and I can't self-sustain my studies

any tips or comments?

>Actively learning : Korean, improving on my English
>In the near futur : Japanese
>In the futur : Chinese

This is how we learn languages too in France in case you were wondering why French ppl suck at English :(

Here is a good video on what are the different methods to learn Kanji, which one is the best and why : youtube.com/watch?v=TgRte6oSoF8&t

I tried pre-made Kanji decks and they proved to be quite disappointing for me too. I only use my decks now. And obviously it's good as a tool.

Holy shit dude, learning Chinese jap and korean is quite an undertaking. How much free time do you have on your hands?

My settis:

German: L1
English: C1 (certified)
French: B2 (certified)
Japanese: N3 (according to JCAT, though my oral skills are shit)

I'm talking about lifetime goals dude lol
Japanese doesn't look so hard when you already know Korean, they have the same kind of grammar.
For Chinese I don't even know if I will do it, but my teachers are pushing me to do a PHD in Korean culture and language, in this case I will probably have to know Hanja anyway so...

My Korean is a French dude who has a PHD in Chinese he used to teach Chinese to Koreans, so I know that at least master two Asian languages is possible, once you've done that, learning the third one should be quite simple with all the common vocabulary, grammar and Chinese characters.
Also according to him Chinese is easier than Korean because Korean's sentence structure is just so hard to master.
Anyway I say that but maybe I will be so bored after learning Korean that I will just learn Hanja and won't bother with the rest.

>youtube.com/watch?v=TgRte6oSoF8&t
>not kodansha
hmm
but I haven't watched the video yet, so I'll get back to that

it says that it's kodansha you can even see the name in the thumbnail...he makes great point on why and how to use the method.

Korean teacher*

About to study a bit of Russian. Why am I learning this? I don't know, not even gonna use the language for anything.

you post the same thing in every thread. just give up if you hate it that much. learn something yuo will use

Russian is my first language, and I'm gonna say that it's quite an interesting way to torture yourself by learning it. If you survive, you're truly a madman with amazingly great willpower.

So I wish you good luck.

no

If I want to learn another language would it be better to grind out duolingo or something first or just play an MMO I like in that language? I’ll use Google Translate/online dictionary and then Anki to remember the words/phrases I encounter. I’m asking because I really want to learn, but I hate studying vocabulary lists or translating simple sentences like “It is an apple” over and over again. Do I just have to suffer?

>I hate studying vocabulary lists or translating simple sentences like “It is an apple” over and over again.
Then Duolingo isn't for you :^)

Im too dumb to learn another language :(

very interesting video. He makes a compelling case.
I'm planning to blast through either RTK or Kodansha this summer so I'll see which one works best for me

>it says that it's kodansha you can even see the name in the thumbnail...he makes great point on why and how to use the method.
What are you talking about? Did you misunderstand me? I said "not kodansha" because he recommends RTK over it, whereas the consensus I've seen is Kodansha>RTK

Duolingo gets boring as shit after like an hour. Use it to get a taste for the language then move on to something better
As for the key to learning a language? : MMO might work idk

I got confused my bad, my brain is K.O

Watching a documentary on the Maya language and how they manage to puzzle it out. All writings are so cool

your english is good, man

How many hours per day do I need to study to learn? I want to study a lot but I'm a wageslave and I need to schedule it in. During the week I could do maybe 20minutes? Weekends I can do like 2-3 hours.

ah no worries
cool, I'm just going to watch anime after dinner I think
p.s. don't let the thread die

Toothpaste user where are you, I need something to translate

And then Christians come and burn everything, only 4books remain FUCK

Which language do you want to learn and what are your goals ?

depends on your goal really, obviously the more you do a day the better, but as long as you are constant with it even 20m a day + 2-3h weekend can certainly bring results

If you're past 50% duolingo just drop it.

I started using LingQ after that to start reading and listening to shit. There are free alternatives to LingQ. Also, buy a textbook. What language are you learning?

Any guides about russian for native spanush speakers? I'm using the Penguin book so far but I think it will be much easier to understand if I'm not learning a language through a non native one

>spanish

>haha, youre learning a language user?
>go on, say something in [language]!
>oh oh, how do you say x?!

>start to learn Korean
>3weeks later father asks : "you fluent yet ?"
>Asks again every sunday

>[language] is useless, why don't you just learn French or German instead?

>Oh you're learning (language), user?
>I'm also fluent in it!!! Let's have a conversation right now!

>French? You planning on moving user?
>Family bursts into laughter

>why are you learning X
>X is useless lol
>everyone speaks English these days anyway

I usually tell them to fuck off in said language without they realising. It helps a lot to endure it all.

Keep on learning rare languages guys that's the way to go, way more opportunities with these, nobody care if you talk well a language of a developed country that already has tons of binational citizens and had the possibility to teach their citizens English, unless you speak C2 it's not a big plus. Also people seem so confident that English will stay the dominant language but there are totally valid reasons to think that its use will decrease over time.
Main while, speaking a rare language even at B2/C1 opens huge doors, and intellectually speaking it's way more fun.

It's very difficult for me to understand why Anglos think that France is so funny...

Spanish. Just want to learn since everyone here speaks it.

Thanks. I’m trying to figure out how to fit more in. Commute isn’t bad but my phone rings off the hook now so keep getting interrupted

Then you don't need more than what Italy said, it's not a very difficult language and there are plenty of opportunities to practice it.

>It's very difficult for me to understand why Anglos think that France is so funny...
The follow up line is even funnier tho
>"You'll not get away from us that easily
Monsieur!"

What ? you lost me

Thanks. I just feel so dumb, I keep trying and I feel like I never learn much. I know I have had progress, but it just feels so slow. I've been doing Pimsleur and Michael Thomas. I tinkered with LingQ but they immediately wanted money after I copy and pasted some news article in and started messing with it, like after 10 words or something they had their hands out.

Lost you because you're laughing too much

that was kind of how it started with me, now I am putting myself in the firing line in order to learn. I started learning Polish and a friend told me how to say 'I don't have enough time' in Polish and it is a surprisingly handy phrase to use.

acquisition can be slow to produce results, but if you keep at it, you will get better. Some things are just going on in the background. One day it will start to click

n-nani?

Thanks that’s very motivating. Appreciate it

пpивeт
кaк дeлa?
я из aннглийcкий
пaкa

>я из aннглийcкий

I don't even know Russian but I can tell you've got no idea what you're doing.

my mistake
Я из aнглия ?

why are you trying to form sentences when you don't even know the simplest basics of the grammar

pipe down abdula i wasn't even using google translate and made a mistake, anything else mr shitstain?
also what type of thread do you think this is I mean wtf dude calm down

>ask legitimate question
>"LOL calm down ahmed why so mad xDDDD"

u stupid or somethihng?

yeah I AMMMM SO DUMB :)) are you ?

nah i'm p smart actually

Bumperoni
I haven't studied today somebody shoot me

Bump
Stop letting these threads die you shits

>somebody shoot me

just go outside

I don't live near any schools

Learn the grammar famalam the verb 'to be' isn't really a thing in Russian in the same way it is in other langauges

What video games are good for Finnish?

what lang are you learning Connor?

Don't try to correct shit you don't know

из takes genitive so it's
>Я из Aнглии