Are foreign languages/second languages mandatorily taught in schools in the United Kingdom? What languages generally...

Are foreign languages/second languages mandatorily taught in schools in the United Kingdom? What languages generally? French and German? Do you actually end up learning them properly, or just get through the exams? Is Welsh compulsorily taught in Wales as a language subject, and Scottish Gaelic in Scotland? Is the latter taught at all, rather? Are there really some schools that teach in Welsh medium in Wales?

Other urls found in this thread:

surveylang.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

looks like busty taylor swift god damn

She's a British glamour model, Danielle Sharp. What foreign languages did you have in school? English and German?

elementary English, high school english+russian

>Are foreign languages/second languages mandatorily taught in schools in the United Kingdom?

>What languages generally?

But this five percent figure is only for secondary education, or are foreign languages only taught at high school, so only 5 percent of students learn a foreign language at all?

But here it says 48 percent?

All of the percentages refer to students in upper secondary schools which is the equivalent of grades 10, 11 and 12 (i.e. Level 3 in ISCED 2011)
>But this five percent figure is only for secondary education
>only 5 percent of students learn a foreign language at all?
Only 5% of students in secondary education in the United Kingdom in 2014 were learning two languages at the same time, meanwhile the average for the European Union was 58% (58% of the students in secondary education in the European Union were learning two foreign languages) and in Luxembourg it was 100%
>But here it says 48 percent?
48% in the UK were learning at least one in 2013

>Is Welsh compulsorily taught in Wales as a language subject
>Are there really some schools that teach in Welsh medium in Wales?
Welsh is really a thing in Wales, it is literally the official language in Wales together with English and it's spoken by a lot of people, according to the 2011 Census of England and Wales, 562,000 "can speak" Welsh in England and Wales (around 1% of the population of England and Wales) a little above Polish with 546,000.
Up to a fourth a schools in Wales have Welsh as the main medium of instruction.

The situation is very different for the other regional languages in the United Kingdom. they are not really spoken by a lot of people, well except for Scots.

30.12% of the population of Scotland can speak Scots
18.35% of the population of Wales can speak Welsh
6.05% of the population of Norther Ireland can speak Irish
2.04% of the population of Scotland can speak Ulster-Scots
1.13% of the population of Scotland can speak Scottish Gaelic

Sorry, I didn't read that image properly.
>Up to a fourth a schools in Wales have Welsh as the main medium of instruction.
What? Really?
Scots is more like a dialect of English and it doesn't make sense to teach it as a separate language I guess.

>2.04% of the population of Scotland can speak Ulster-Scots
*Ireland

>Scots
>An actual language
It's just lazy spelling

At secondary school we have the option of learning a language , about half of people will pick it,it depends on the schools but it's normally Spanish nowdays

I didn't think Irish Gaelic was really a thing in Northern Ireland. In Wikipedia they're saying that according to the 2011 census, only 0.2 percent of people spoke Irish as a home language. Ulster Scots is more of the "native" language of Northern Ireland, but the total knowledge of that seems to be even lower. So I'm guessing that only Welsh is taught mandatorily and not Scottish Gaelic or Irish Gaelic or Ulster Scots in the UK?

>Do they actually end up learning them properly, or just get through the exams
This is a more complicated answer but you can look up the results of ESLC assessment.
surveylang.org/

bum