Hannibal of Carthage

Now that the dust has settled, what's Sup Forums's opinion of Hannibal of Carthage?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCv_vLHiWVBh_FR9vbeuiY-A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Greatest general of all time and entirely justified in his cause.

You are no friend to Rome, traitor.

Dindu nuffin wrong, wuz gettin an education at Tarentum and shiz

the fuck are you on about, barbar?

he was black, do you even watch history channel?

Genius, Cannae was overkill tho he went a little overboard tbqh

Greatest Black Leader since King Tut.

Proud black man oppressed by the Nazi Romans.

You can admire someone for their skill and character without actually siding with them. Some enemies are worthy of admiration. I'm glad he lost, but that period of history is very fascinating thanks to him.

Nah, I only watch it to get a greater understanding of how aliens have interacted with humans throughout history.

I am 100% Germanic.
Why would I support Rome?

Also, whoever you happen to support, Rome was the aggressor and Hannibal only tried to free its victims.

Didn't shart in mart, literally pleb tier. Not even a Canadian would follow him.

weak

Don't tell me you're pulling that "War of Northern Aggression" bullshit.

Because even Germanic tribes on the borders of the Roman Empire were envious of it's security and wealth.

Hannibal is one of the most tragic figures in history. His life is proof that no one man could destroy Rome, no matter how great he was.

>Cannae was overkill tho he went a little overboard tbqh

He faced an army twice his size and much better trained and equipped.

What would you have him do instead?
Take prisoners?

The whole world envied the wealth of the city upon the seven hills. No man nor God has seen such splendor since.

>yo Bae julii Caesar was black too man Das why he wuz Kang of kangz nigga of niggas yo cracka ass ain't stealing our history don't frgt #blackhistorymonth

Hannibal at the battle of Cannae:
>Smaller force fighting Romans on home territory
>They fall for the trap, wind up encircled by your smaller force
>Proceed to massacre them in the greatest loss in Roman history
>Rome undefended
>Romans shitting themselves in terror
>Senators implement laws saying you can't ransom roman prisoners, and threaten to kill anyone who tries to flee
>Hannibal's generals tell him to march on Rome
>''No thanks''

Huge blunder by Rome, even bigger blunder by Hannibal. Cost him the advantage, then later the war, then later his freedom, nation, and entire race/civilisation.

Rome refused to pay ransom for prisoners while the enemy was on Roman soil, the defeated soldiers were as good as dead anyway.

Should have brought siege weapons instead of useless elephants.

Rome had greater influence from Greece while Carthage had greater influence from the Levant, it's for the best that Rome succeeded in the end

>Take prisoners?
certainly some, he killed off roughly 5% of the male population of Rome that day
I guess maybe as says he had no other options really but it's still a pretty fucked up situation to be in

greatest general in history gets his ass kicked by a no name general
Yeah sure!

It is very debatable if Hannibal could have taken Rome instead.

And it wasn't his objective anyways.

>gets his ass kicked by a no name general

Scipio was also a genius.
And he had a bigger and far more experienced army.

he did kill 100,000 roman soldiers

Carthago delenda est

I've heard this multiple times, and I'm still curious as to why it's commonly accepted that Hannibal could not have taken Rome with his 50,000 men, when Caesar took it with only 6,000?

Greatest black general to have ever existed, only defeated by another great black general, Scipio AFRICANUS.

Nigger who was more concerned with raping the towelheads in Italy than actually going for the kill and marching on Rome, then gets buttfucked by Africanus on his home turf how's that the sign of a great general?
Sure the cotton picker won battles and was daring enough to cross the alps with nothing but sandniggers and elephants but he had luck on his side, like those junglebunnies who steal DVD sets and get away with it

In part he was waging war the way it had been done in Sicily in the first Punic War, the way it was commonly done in Greece, and the way he had been doing it in Iberia, namely forcing an opponent to come to terms by depriving them of allies and limiting their sphere of influence.

Basically he was depending on the Romans to have a sense of self-preservation and be "rational" in terms of the way wars were fought then. Most parties usually came to terms in order to prevent things like the sack of Carthage in the 3rd Punic War.
Attackers usually liked this because it left their armies intact and looked good.

He simply didn't take into account that Roman leadership would never capitulate due to cultural differences.

He knew how to win a fight and even a war, but didnt know what to do with it.

Caesar did a surprise attack and had the support from the people.
Rome was expecting Hannibal, and every man left in Rome would have fought to defend it.

In the end he lost and his entire city was turned to dust.

>Many Carthaginians died from starvation during the later part of the siege, while many others died in the final six days of fighting. When the war ended, the remaining 50,000 Carthaginians, a small part of the original pre-war population, were, as was the normal fate in antiquity of inhabitants of sacked cities, sold into slavery by the victors.[4] Carthage was systematically burned for 17 days; the city's walls and buildings were utterly destroyed. The remaining Carthaginian territories were annexed by Rome and reconstituted to become the Roman province of Africa.

More man. One battle was against 80.000 romans alone and he won.

I even think it was cannae.

He had a clear plan: liberate cities from Roman occupation, tell them to grow a pair, and have them contain Rome.

Most pussied out, but if they hadn't they could easily have defeated Rome together.

Noone noes really why he didnt just march on rome after the battle of cannae. He won mate. But he didnt utilize his won battles.

Carthago delenda est

To be fair that was 50 years later and more the fault of Hasdrubal the Boetharch and their council for political and financial decisions they made in the years leading up to the 3rd War.

youtube.com/channel/UCv_vLHiWVBh_FR9vbeuiY-A

Obligatory post. If you love battle descriptions, this is my favorite channel.

Pease also share good channels for battle explanations and maneuvers if you have some.

My favorite one is the last fight between Caesar and Vercingetorix. Awesome fight and the biggest balls you have ever seen.

>greatest general of all time
>in a world where julius caesar and alexander the great existed

kekkles

He rekt Romaboos hard, made them go full REEEEEEEEEEE in the next war, which brought war immense wealth that permanently corrupted the Roman Republic. You could say Rome defeated Hannibal, but Hannibal planted the seeds of corruption that would follow Rome forever, like a curse.

Gonna read up more about Carthage in Salammbo.