Full Language Immersion

How long would it take an English speaker to learn Spanish in a full immersion environment?

Like if I moved to Mexico city for a year, would I be pretty fluent in Spanish if I had no previous background in learning Spanish? To a conversational level at least?

How long would it take someone dropped into Japan to learn Japanese?

It depends on the person.

At the very least, you should know how to order your favourite dishes at a restaurant or takeaway, where to find the restroom, and how to beg for your life in the event of a mugging.

Contrary to the intuition of monolinguals, immersion, especially for a short period of time, say

Do most mexicans know how to speak english?

That's why I asked about the difference between mexico and japan - see, Spanish might be similar enough to English that the time you would need to study Spanish to really benefit from immersion is likely pretty short, right?

Like, I studied Spanish for a year in high school - that's probably enough background for me to benefit from immersion to some extent, right?

Wouldn't know. I'm Canadian.

Like says, there's no real shortcut to learning a language. One year in high school, assuming you don't really practice that much outside of class, is not enough to learn any language, more so if you haven't practiced since. The main benefit of immersion is strengthening and building on what is already there. Communication in any language involves verbal expressions and non-verbal cues that you may not necessarily pick up on your own, or in a non-immersive environment.

Yes the difficulty of a language correlates negatively to its similarly with another one.

Well, intermediate means CEFR level B1 or B2.

Like I said, if you can't even hold a complete conversation in Spanish then you will be wasting a lot of time sitting in front of your desk reviewing the basics of the language instead of going out to practice your language skills while being at your destination. You are better off acquiring a solid foundation first, maybe with the help of language exchange partners and then do the stay. Pratice as in applying acquired knowledge is different and distinct from studying the actige act of acquiring knowledge.

The rule of immersion is : The more you already know the more you are going to learn.

and immersion is practice '

Reddit spacing

those are called paragraphs, mongol

It's not about moving to a place where the language is spoken but about using the language as much as you can (regardless of the place where you live)

On a daily basis that's it. And how much do you challenge yourself to improve your skills.

Spanish would be fairly easy to you comparing to non indo-european languages or even distant i.e. (such as slavic shit and etc)
I'd say if you're under 20 that would be okay more or less, the older you are the worse you become at learning languages

can you be my e-friend please
I will talk to you and pay attention to you every day

>Do most mexicans know how to speak english?
No, but in a middle class environment you could expect near everyone to at least have a basic, if heavily accented, level

It would be hit and miss finding people who would be genuinely fluent and articulate tho it obviously depends on the specific crowd

what percent of mexicans hate the US because of the way our politicians act towards mexico?

you say that most don't know how to speak English, yet in a middle class environment everyone could - what percent of mexicans would you say are poor, middle class, and wealthy

>The rule of immersion is : The more you already know the more you are going to learn.
I am sure there's a point where you know everything about conversational stuff and would benefit more from self study again

people who say reddit spacing are 100x cringier than people who put two spaces between sentences

It is a girl?

>It is a girl?
no

>How long would it take an English speaker to learn Spanish in a full immersion environment?
1000s of years

>Reddit spacing
Kid, Reddit spacing has nothing to do with Reddit. It has been used since the beginning of the internet.

>Kid, Reddit spacing has nothing to do with Reddit. It has been used since the beginning of the internet.
not true

>Good, readable format is now l'eddit XD
I fucking hatre this meme. It never was and still isn't a thing but newfags say it all the time because they want to fit in. And you're one of them.

this

wtf, you still remember forums?
how old are you?

>It depends on the person
methinks it depends on how social the person is too (or "only")
many immigrants don't learn as fast as those that force themselves to speak with the locals and get taught like babies. what those who "fail" do is usually rely on someone (or the entire group) that knows his/her native language, isolate themselves with what they already know and learn nothing new
so yeah

>Do most mexicans know how to speak english?
No, only people who go to private schools learn how to speak English from 1st grade.
People who go to public schools just learn basic English, even in fucking University I see people who don't speak the language.

Basically, becoming fluent in English here is for wealthy middle-high class, at least during your childhood. Other people start learning English when they reach University, but even then, they don't become fully fluent at it.

Also Spanish is an extremely tough language to learn because verb conjugations, accents and articles.