Does anyone here work in the political sphere (e.g. as a staffer, lobbyist, bureaucrat, or even intern)?

Does anyone here work in the political sphere (e.g. as a staffer, lobbyist, bureaucrat, or even intern)?

I start work on the Hill next week and I'm just curious about what people's experiences were like.

Bump

I'm working on getting in the political sphere, so I don't have any actual experience working in it per se, but I can guarantee that it's generally a clusterfuck.

I'm from a NoVA family, two of my siblings work in town in Foggy Bottom-tier lobbyist jobs and in various government organizations.

DC is a young person's town, last I checked it was one of the youngest cities in the nation demographics-wise. Good bars and sports teams music venues and shit to do.

Look out for niggers and Hillary's goons. Good luck, user.

Haven't heard that word used to describe it yet. From what I understand, everyone is constantly trying to take advantage of you and you pretty much have to bend over and spread your cheeks if you're low on the totem pole.

Just moved to Arlington myself.

It's absurd how much money some people I know within 5 years of me are making. I'm hoping that I can get cozy with a lobbyist and get ridiculously overpaid to house sit and dogwalk.

I'm happy my parents did it so I don't have to.

I've been dealing with those people my entire life and they manage to be cutthroat opportunists and pious civil servants at the same time. 26 year olds who really think they're doing the American people a service by working for the aluminum lobby in Congress.

Yet everyone got confused when I joined the army.

I did for years in my 20s. Completely terrible unless you're in a primo position, which 99 percent of people aren't, or you're a dumb young person that is simply impressed by proximity to power. Or a politics junkie that is uniquely unlikely to burn out like the vast, vast majority of people and move away.

Most of the young people you are talking about are low level staffers or interns. Rats in the race. Some people love it but don't get the reality twisted.

Nova is mostly disgusting urban blight and expensive to boot. I was in really good positions and even I had to hold my nose in the morning on the commute.

Maybe I'll go back again one day, still in my early 30s. Some stuff has to happen first though. Good luck o you, user, no bullshitting. Hope you have a good experience.

Well I'm going to he working in the Capitol so I suppose it's a step up from the House Office Buildings.

It's more of a stepping stone for me t bh but I won't get into that.

How exactly are people cutthroat? Is it more ass kissing or do they consciously try to make you fuck up?

>Completely terrible unless you're in a primo position

Not disregarding your experience, but that describes almost every career track for young people.

The DC administrative race is just as harsh as the New York financial race. People regularly 'volunteer' an extra 20 hours a week of work just to not seem lazy, on top of 40 hours of work and 12 credit hours.

It's becoming incredibly competitive.

Oops, cutthroat question was for you Also, I completely agree with you about NoVA. I've lived in shitholes in North Dakota and West Texas that seem like utopian dreamscapes compared to this place. Even when I start making serious money I can't even think of a single place in the area that would be appealing to live in.

Man that seems crippling. I'm lucky enough to be in a job where I go work for two weeks, then have two weeks completely off. Without that kind of off time, and 'unforced' overtime, I'd burn out so quick.

Nice, I worked in the Capitol during college. I didn't really experience people as cutthroat, I think some of these other anons did, but I think is a fair estimation depending on the position you are in.

My experience is that you should be prepared to play the education/prestige game. I have very good college and law school degrees and that was basically par for the course, town is awash with J.D.'s, M.B.A.'s, and other shit. Lots of Ivy League blowjobs. Also, the affirmative action is strong, huge liberal stronghold. If you're white, you're looking at stiff competition moving upward unless you spent a significant portion of your youth in classroom, have serious specialized skills (tech, etc), or are moving from a profession into something similar.

Fuck, and I thought there was pressure in software

I've heard Finance is hands down the worst, you're making decent money but working your soul away for it

Well shit.

I'm
>working for a Democrat
>got a BA from a school that barely cracks top 50
>white cis southern male

And I have a hard time keeping my opinions to myself but I imagine that this is a skill I'll home quickly.

But I met with a former chief of staff/lobbyist the other day and she gave me sound advice to never compare my insides to another's outsides, which may be slave morality but it's comforting all the same.

Anything can happen, I know people of very similar backgrounds that have had serious success. Above all, try to do something you care at least a little about, otherwise you'll burn out quick, and try not to be overly impressed with anyone. Move laterally if you need to. Never apologize for being Southern, you'll find a lot of social opportunities. Good luck and Godspeed user.

Where are you going to be living, man?

DC, Nova, Md?

I've actually heard that southerners are highly valued in DC for their appreciation of reciprocity. Some tell me this is taken advantage of frequently but I've always had a short memory when it comes to favors anyway. You've definitely echoed/reinforced a lot of the things I've been hearing (especially with regards to egos on the hill).

I really appreciate your input. One thing I've noticed about this area is that there's no shortage of people that are willing to help you.

I'm slumming it in Arlington right now

Working for a Democrat? I hope you're red-pilled in disguise user

Proud gun owning Son of the Confederacy here.. Probably should stay away from Sup Forums starting Monday though