Interrogates him closely about his accent

>interrogates him closely about his accent
>satisfied enough about his background that there isn't issue after extensive examination
>He holds up 3 different fingers to order a drink, couldn't have anything to do with his supposed remote upbringing
>the jig is up

What are some situations when a writer desperately needed the plot to get from A to B so came up with a desperately contrived way to get there?

That's not that contrived, he knew no German would use the Brit 3 instead of his native 3.

It's lame and contrived as fuck.

Ok

Not if you're actually German
I feel sorry for people who aren't, anyway

Admit that you didn't question it until you read about it somewhere and only then you really considered it.

There won't be any 3 finger Germans soon so I pity you

The real question is why would even hold up your fingers like that to signal 3 since the "German" version makes more sense in everyway

Or why even hold up your fingers at all, it's a small bar, you can just say it and everyone will hear you just fine

Saw it in cinemas. It always irritated me because it screamed of either a guy desperate to get from A to B or a guy who went to a bar with some German girl and was for some reason surprised at how she signalled 3 with get fingers. It doesnt work and sours an otherwise strong scene.

Germans are literally the niggers of Europe

if this scene holds any bearing to reality then it shows you just how autistic germans are, who would even think about the way you fucking motion 3

The first question is completely explicable because it's completely determinant on where you're from. I've never ever seen anyone do the German 3 in America and it never occurred to me to do it that way since you learn how to at like age 3.
Second question is a better critique than OP's dumbass opinion

I'm also American and if I saw someone signal a 3 at me including their thumb before I knew about the German 3 I probably would've thought for a second that they were signalling a 2 lol. I wouldn't even take the thumb into account because it only ever means "5" here, not "1".

although I've noticed when I'm counting things out or going through a list in my head, I do start with my thumb.

How the fuck do Gernans signal a 4? Trying to raise up all your fingers except the pinkie is not possible

Maybe they autistically put their thumb back down and do the traditional 4?

>Trying to pass as German
>jig is up when I don't hold up the correct three fingers and such the duck if the economic refugee next to me when ordering 4 drinks

This is perfectly reasonable. In most European countries, a strange accent can easily be from growing up somewhere obscure. This was probably even more true back in the 40s when there was no TV/internet and people didn't move around as much.
The three finger thing is universal, though. It's like saying that you use a different version of the "okay" symbol because you're from a different region.

>Or why even hold up your fingers at all, it's a small bar, you can just say it and everyone will hear you just fine
How is this even a question? People make hand gestures all the time when in normal conversation cos it's just automatic.

>such the duck
Fucking phoneposters.

They use their other thumb to make a one.

yeah, its a great honour to have lost both world wars

When counting tucking in the pinkie (Thumb, Fingergun, Peace+Thumb, Tucked in Pinki, Full Hand)
When ordering both the tucked pinkie or the four fingers both are possible.

The overlap between phoneposters and reddit has to be at least 96%

How do niggers call their pinkis?

It's still a pinkie in burgerland, we just add an "E". No idea about niggers because I don't have to interact with them

As a bilingual German i can tell you that this scene was one of the best moments Ive ever seen in a cinema. Its so well acted and the dialogue was perfect. Not to mention the casting. Its very difficult to immitate German as a mothertongue, if you didnt spend your childhood in a German speaking environment, especially for anglophiles, since English is a linguistically primitive language.

>Gestapo guy knows something is weird with the meeting of famous actress and high ranking officers in some shady bar
>He would know most officers and he knows none of them
>Fassbender's accent is strange to say the least
>It doesnt sound like the usual Brit trying to speak German, but it doesnt sound ANYTHING like a native speaker from anywhere in Switzerland, Austria and even German diaspora in Romania, Sudetenland etc.
>Gestapo guy starts politely interrogating them
>plays around with them in a card game
>just waiting to see if one of them slips up
>eventually sets a trap to see if all 3 men drink the same drink, knowing that she would drink champagne
>DREI WHISKEY

That scene was genius and as I said, for a German speaker it was perfection.