Just finished The Wire and I was looking to check out some of David Simon's other stuff...

Just finished The Wire and I was looking to check out some of David Simon's other stuff. Is Generation Kill his next best series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sk_wYFRWza0
youtube.com/watch?v=CZvWl67Icn8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's good, but the dialog, while fun, just feels unnatural at times. People constantly saying things only a liberal jew would say. This is why The Sopranos will always be better than the The Wire.

generation kill is a serious gem, it is an extremely unique show that is pure kino

its really surprising to see the shite hbo pumps out now compared to the pure gold it use to make like generation kill.

if you want a great piece of war story then watch generation kill.

you know that 90% of the dialogue actually happened right? lol

Best war miniseries HBO ever made.
This is incorrect.

>you know that 90% of the dialogue actually happened right? lol

I seriously doubt that was claimed and that it's true in case it was.

It's been repeatedly praised by Marines for accurately depicting how they converse and interact.

its based off the book and the book was written by the reporter who took pages of notes in the back of the humvee? the show rips lines right from the book and the book was praised by the soldiers for being true and honest to events for the most part, there wasnt any "i didnt say that"

this

not this

Underrated

Generation kill is the most realistic/accurate depiction of how people actually act in war.

Boring

Generation Kill is very good drama that examines the fallout of the military industrial complex and the sorts of souls the marine corps churn up and spit out

really good shit

>converse
It's realistic in its themes and the way it depicts the military life but the actual dialog that comes out is far too polished to be realistic. This is literally undeniable, it can be easily seen in the The Wire as well from the same people.
I don't think a journalist's job is to write down what he just said heard and present it as is, it's literally his job to put things in a thought provoking way and I'm sure that's why his book was successful. The result in the show is that at times it becomes too noticeable to the point were the dialog is just a series of one-liners coming from soldiers. The book must've had enough space to not make it so jarring but in the show it's clear. This is the David Simon treatment.

Of course this is only a minor complaint, it's really a great show.

Some of the lines sometimes feel overwritten, but there's a lot of stuff that feels really genuine in there, for example all of Maj. Sixta's lines.

I'm going to take the word of every actual serviceman who has said the dialog is realistic over yours.

Show Me a Hero

>lying online

Nobody talks like characters from The Wire irl. The show is definitely realistic otherwise.

I'm talking about Generation Kill, not The Wire.

it;s so fucking good.

LET THE HAJI'S HIT THE FLOOR!

The characters in The Wire speak just like the characters from Generations Kill, which is not surprising since they're both made by the same people and with very similar goals in mind.

GARZA

GETCHA STUPID ASS DOWN

AINT NOTHIN FOR YA TO SHOOT AT

No they don't. You clearly have some kind of weird agenda going on here.

Did anyone ever actually find the leaked pilot of the Deuce? Or Curb? Or Barry?

Treme is his next best. It's very, very good.

don't believe these cucks.

Generation Kill is his best after Wire

GROOOOOOOOOOOooooOOOOOOMIN STAAAAAAAANDARD

wow it's almost like TV isn't real life

>it's a kid on Sup Forums thinks he knows more about how soldiers talk than actual soldiers post

No I actually have seen a both shows and have seen most of Simons material and even as far back as episodes he'd written for Life on the Street. If you claim you can't see the similarities and distinct style of his tv writing you're trolling.

curb has episode 2 3 and 4 out

dont think The Deuce is out yet

One of the best shows I've ever seen. Probably better than the Wire just for being more succinct.

>only a liberal Jew would say

None of the characters are liberals and I got zero feeling that they were. What makes you say this?

Y'ALL STARTIN' TO LOOK LIKE ELVISES!

>characters are liberal jews

hes clearly not look at any of the real life soldiers

Everything in this post is wrong.

Not really. The Sopranos for example has dialog that feels way more natural and realistic. Don't pretend to be retarded.
>mus soldiers
Military/war depictions being realistic has nothing to do with the actual dialog that appears in show being realistic. The first one is true, the second is very hard to believe.

David Simon is a liberal jew as far as I know.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sk_wYFRWza0

Rays shits on liberals the entire series. I also like the scene where the reporter takes pictures of dead people and Ray goes off

Again, I'm going to take the word over people who were actually there over yours. They say the dialogue is realistic, and I believe them.

And you honestly don't believe niggers talk like that? The one thing I'll give you is that nobody pronounces it po-lease.

You should think before posting.

Literally nobody talks like that. This show is easily one of the most quotable show. This can only be achieved at the expense of dialog that feel natural and not forced aka realism. And I have constantly heard the show being praised for its depictions of war being realistic but I don't think people meant the dialog. I'm sure when people say "yeah we talk like that" it means they break balls just like that and use racial slurs etc but not actually this is how they talk.
Nobody talks like that, it has nothing to do with niggers or cops. The show sacrifices natural dialog to make a point in almost every scene, the show's goal in the end is social/political commentary.

Don't you have some statues to protest?

Sorry you can't bantz

give me an example of a prime piece of dialogue that is unrealistic and stupid in the show

>it's reddit on the wrong site again where everything is circlejerked to either be 0/10 or 10/10 and any contrary or negative opinions/criticism must be downvoted episode

>the reddit argument

Well played, sir!

Wow, you just blew his argument apart, nice banter bro.

I can't go back to the show looking for things, it's something that can be noticed in the show a whole and like I said in The Wire as well and most of David Simon's material. Soldiers are fucking idiots who do what they're told and they don't constantly have thought provoking things to say, Of course when the guy wrote the book, that changed because this is how it works and because he had a point to make just like the show. The show naturally must have doubled that effect since the show had less time to do the story in the book.

>Soldiers are fucking idiots who do what they're told and they don't constantly have thought provoking things to say,
ah ok so you're just an assmad retard good to know

>G-g-g-guhnurashun K-k-k-kill would have moar realistic dialogue if the soldiers talked like me!!

Kill yourself faggot

>soldiers are an intelligent bunch

lol. never. least of all anyone who was involved in the recent iraq war.

you are aware that the soldiers in GK are not normal soldiers right? they are highly well trained and quite a few are well educated. the LT is trained in english and history, the black guy reading sun tzu and gnome chomp is real?

to get into force recon you essentially need to be special forces and that requires passing many many basic intelligence tests

trombly is the only fuckup because hes so new but hes not an idiot.

i dont think you understand the characters and the situation, the show on purpose makes a distinction between alpha bravo charlie and the delta company who are clearly a bunch of idiotic weekend soldiers with no skill.

as stated before, a vast majority of the dialogue is ripped from the book which is very accurate and true to what happened, the writer took so many notes constantly.

But that user knows that Generation Kill's dialogue is unrealistic based on absolutely no evidence that he can muster.

the wire > generation kill > show me a hero > the corner > treme

this is one of the hardest baits that i have seen on this site. hory fucking shit i really really want to punch your fucking throat right now

>show me a hero
>wow white people are so evil for not wanting their property value to plummet
>wow white people are so evil for wanting an elected politician to keep his campaign promises
>wow black people are heroes for being given massively cheaper houses in previously nice neighbourhoods and the white people being reasonably frustrated

there you dont have to watch it anymore

Jesus Christ you're a moron

Generation Kill is Kino. Your only regret will be when it is finished.

>wanting to make sure people don't have to live in dirty slums anymore is bad
Fuck off, Wasicsko did what needed to be done.

It's one of my favorites and probably the one I've rewatched the most, since it's only 10 episodes.

Fuck it I might rewatch it again starting now

Still soldiers and they clearly were duped as to why they were in iraq, soldiers are idiots because most people are idiots, the dialog, at time, simply doesn't correspond to any normal human interaction period. This can be seen in all of David Simon shows. Basically they care more about making a point than realistic conversations. David Chase has it right, people are idiots, not smart.

>as stated before, a vast majority of the dialogue is ripped from the book which is very accurate and true to what happened, the writer took so many notes constantly.
That's really hard to believe. He obviously did a lot of trimming, If you think this is how soldiers talked to eachother you're very gullible.

It's incredibly slow and boring.

People here will probably praise it for being some sort of kino but it was largely forgettable.

As a vet I can tell you that its one of the most realistic portrails of a combat deployment that I have ever seen. Jarhead is the only other movie that come close. Also the dialog is accurate as fuck.

>le downvote

>keeps saying it's unrealistic dialogue
>doesn't have evidence for what is an example of realistic dialogue

have you seen LA? it used to be blocks and blocks of suburbia and now its just fucking ghetto. around blacks never relax

gee i wonder how they ended up as dirty slums

maybe it was because the people in them didn't bother to look after them due to having a degenerate culture of joblessness and neglect

better give those people houses in a nice neighbourhood, i'm sure they'll magically start taking care of them now and not drag the neighbourhood into a dirt in a way that has been displayed literally thousands of times worldwide in the last few decades

>as a vet
Probably the only reason anyone would ever watch this.

You're either obsessed with the military or you're a wannabe trying to relive your 'glory' days of driving around a desert looking for places to poop.

Unfortunately it's "nothing happens: the show" and it's pertinent that the only people who like it are retarded americans, usually soliders or ex-soldiers.

what division etc were you?

>Soldiers get to choose where they fight
Yet again you're a fucking retard

how much did david simon do on generation kill anyway?
on the season 5 commentary for the wire, he talks about how ed burns was away doing generation kill at the time

youtube.com/watch?v=CZvWl67Icn8
For your viewing pleasure.

>most of the actors from the show actually look a lot like their real-life counterparts.
>except Ray
>this is the real Ray

user, if you're posting on Sup Forums, you don't have any room to complain about a culture of joblessness and neglect.

Get the fuck out of my face with that shit. It's like The Wire except nothing happens.

wow epic comeback with the adhommies there

Except i have a job, and a home i look after. in a nice neighbourhood

oh funny look, it's full of white people. Shocking

>I want an example of realistic dialog

Have you even spoken to someone else before?

And like I said, it's really not about one scene. It's just obvious if you know what it is. From the get go you feel David Simon in every line. Every conversation has a lot of reflecting and has a point to make, characters constantly dropping lines that can easily be quote-worthy. Generally overwritten dialog without the characters to match it. See The Wire, Life on the Street. I haven't seen Treme but something tells me it's similar.

>It's incredibly slow and boring.
Welcome to the military.
Most of the time you're just driving around eating, shitting and digging

I was artillery. First duty station was Ft. Lewis WA where I was with 1/37 FA. 3rd brigade 2nd ID. Went to Iraq with that unit. After that I was staiond in Germany with the 173rd Airborne. Went to Afghanistan twice with that unit. 8 years in and 3 deployments then I got out.

>Have you even spoken to someone else before?
Yeah, they speak like characters from The Wire.

Unless there's a draft I'm sure you could choose if you want to be involved to a certain degree. It's not the matter of the involvement in the war as much as to your opinion about it. It's safe to say that soldiers were duped with that one.

>has a job, a home that needs tending to, and lives in a cool neighborhood
>argues with people on Sup Forums about black people instead of either working, doing work on said house, or hanging out with neighbors
Yeah, sure.

So why would you waste 10+ hours watching a bunch of actors do exactly that?
Seems like a retarded way to waste your time.

There's one good character and he has maybe two dozen lines and that's it.

*heavyhandedly explains chess as an allegory for the life of drug dealing criminals in baltimore*

I'm probably the only person on earth who enjoyed the corner over the wire

>people with jobs cant post on Sup Forums

projecting much user? not everyone is as pathetic as you

I haven't seen it. I doubt many even heard of it.

YO PRESIDINT...IS WATCHIN

AMERIKEE...IS WATCHIN

BUT MORE IMPORTANT...

GAHHHHHHHDFATHER IS WATCHIN

>So why would you waste 10+ hours watching a bunch of actors do exactly that?
Because it's basically a road trip movie set in the Marine corps

But user, I have a well-paying job, and a wife who's reading your post right now and laughing at you.

I don't believe you

>imagine being this fucking reddit

>DUDE LMAO IT'S SO BORING
Is this how Game of Thrones has ruined everything? HBO shows are supposed to be methodical, but now if it doesn't have a dragon blowing people up ever 10 minutes people can't stand it.

>roadtrip movie
>No girls
>No boobs
>just faggotry
what did he mean by this

>still pseudo-downvoting

Get over it, reddit.

SHE WAS A GIRL