The list of shitty kids' book adaptations

Wanna play a game, Sup Forums?

Let's count how many shitty forgotten adaptations of children's books ever existed. Unfortunately Hunger Games and Divergent don't count because they have sequels.

I'll start.

- Eragon
- The Host
- Warm Bodies
- Stormbreaker

Harry Potter

The Hobbit part 1: shit on my face
The Hobbit part 2: shit on my face again
The Hobbit part 3: shit on my face, the end is near

Fuck this, I changed my mind.

Hunger Games and Divergent DO count!

how about we count all the ones that aren't shitty, it will be easier.

How about no.

Also just added two more,

- Paper Towns
- Perks of Being a Wallflower

what are you talking about the host was great

>Never hear of this movie
>Go to local cineplex one day looking for a matinee to kill time b4 shenanigans with gf
>One ticket for Eragon please.
>Pronounce as "E'Raggin", like Dragon with an E for a D.
>Dude starts crying laughing so hard he had to go in the back room
>Leave theater and not return for 2 years.

I remember being so let down when I saw this movie.

>Stormbreaker
wrong, the second book is getting a tv series

Unless it's been confirmed, not fucking likely.

>eragon
I'm still mad about the last book. Really the only good thing from this saga was his cousin roran or something like that.

Yeah. Fuck that shitty book.

Roran turned into a shitty mary sue too

"Stronghammer" indeed

>Eragon
Fuck this movie betrayed me on so many levels. I like Jeremy Irons as Brom but besides that the film was a fucking disaster.

The books were relatively good apart from the last one.

>Cirque Du Freak
A series I loved growing up, but they turned it into an abortion of a movie. That's what happens when you think you can adapt 3 three books into one movie.

Percy jackson

This garbage

>Cirque Du Freak
>Percy Jackson
>Bridge to Terabithia

Oh shit, I didn't even think about those ones.

Good job.

The Hobbit no doubt.
>short action-filled book of adventures and shenanigans turned into a 10 hours sloggy shitfest
>completely plain and sterile Friedman as cheery and cheeky bilbo
>idiotic interracial love subplots
>radagast the meme
Studio executives should be put against the wall.

*Freeman

the golden compass

Fantastic mr. fox

Huh really? I thought Wes didn't disappoint.

This is good though.

This too.

I think OP is talking about failed franchise launchers.

Well baited my friend

fuck off

I think OP is talking about failed franchise launchers.

This, or just shitty adaptations in general.

I made exceptions for Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, and Divergent, because they ended up getting successful and having a few sequels.

what did you like about Terabithia?

Ender's Game was a big flop if I remember correctly

I'm still mad about the whole series considering it was nothing more than a shitty star wars rip off with some heavily inspired lotr stuff as well

I saw it relatively young and I thought it was the stupidest shit ever.

>better swing across this raging torrent that will rightfully end my life

commentary track is pure kino

Fuck you! City of Ember is kino!

Is it me, or were the 2000s saturated with film adaptions of kids' books?

Was it because of the success of LOTR?

Why?

Harry Potter too.

CGI and special effects became much better and much more affordable with the advent of modern computers in 2000s.

Pretty much.

Every kids' book wanted to ride the Harry Potter train, and the only other book series to make a big break was Twilight.

lotr

congrats jews you ruined some more childhoods just to make more money just like you did with emojis
i wish your business goes bankrupt and that everyone globally loses interest in movies

anybody read these books? they were pretty comfy

read them all in a single day

I was disappointed by Northern Lights (Le golden compass)

Books were godtier

I was just horribly disappointed because I wanted something like Harry Potter or Stardust.

On topic, the spiderwick movie.

>Spiderwick Chronicles
>Nickelodeon movie
>"Spider"

Oh god, I just remembered Paramount made this shit.

Why did they make ender's game a kids movie?????????????

because it is a kid's book.

I remember reading the book in school but my autism never allowed retaining any knowledge of whatever I read that didn't interest me.

The terrible troublesome Terries!

What happens in Eragon's last book? Just read up to the black one with the golden dragon when I was 15

>that fucking chapter where he kills like a hundred dudes with a spear in one battle

I heard the BBC is making a series of it

>all these shitty adaptions wanting in the Harry Potter train
>meanwhile Deltora Quest gets an anime just because the author's daughter is a weeb
>and its actually good and faithful to source material besides one OC

Feels good man

Percy Jackson was the first movie where i left the theater before the first half ended.

I'm still mad.

The Golden Compass or whatever that shit with the talking bears was.

Ender's Game was utter trash

JUST

I remember in those books Alex Rider ended up getting poo-in-loo'd by an indian love interest

I gave up half way through book 3 when eragon become an unlikable jerk ass. The fact the author has autism doesn't surprise me.

Whoa, they got Malkovich, Irons and a jobbing Bixnoodalou to commit to this shit? Impressive. Who played that cut-rate Johnny Depp-looking villain?

Looks like Robert Carlyle lmao

I find it funny how Alex Rider failed so hard but Cody Banks, a series that essentially mocks the hell out of Alex Rider's entire premise, was kind of successful.

Gotta love Brendan JUST Fraser in this.
You can see that he has finally given up.

fuck that movie, the end was such bullshit and best girl dies

>Hey guys, remember when Eragon became a half-ef thing from some weird cerimony and basically became Mr. Perfect who is so above the stinky humans and doesn´t eat meat and is gonna fuck the elf cuite who is 1000 years olders than him and and his sword now lights on fire!
Fuck those books, I was reading mostly for Roran's wacky adventures

>The Mortal Instruments
>Vampire Academy

Gets the bad guy to an hero by making him feel the dragons pain. Somehow learns the magic languages name Gets space manipulation magic to hide dragon orb souls. Gets some eggs and the rest of the dragon souls and fucks off east. Still a beta bitch who cant fuck the elf.

Liked it desu.

Were the Narnia movies actually any good?

I know the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was kind of a big deal back in the day, then there was Prince Caspian, and then it died out by the time Voyage of the Dawn Treader was released.

They're maximum comfy.

If you're a kid, yes. If you're an adult, they shouldn't be unless you're just nostalgic for them.

>- Eragon

i literally couldn't even make it through the rifftrax version

Quick reminder, they actually made a Goosebumps movie...and of course it fucking sucked balls.

Dark Tower

wait when the hell it happened?

I liked it. Shame it never got a sequel if you ask me.

2 years ago.

Honestly this is the last time I saw Jack Black in anything too.

polar bears fighting to death!

not a book but still absolute JUST tier

This film was hilarious. I don't know shit about the cartoon but this was the perfect sort of trainwreck you can riff on.

> 4 guys to Kung fu lift a small rock

This movie depressed the fuck out of me when I was 11.

Thought it was going to be a fantasy movie like Narnia, but all that happened was ASR drowning.

i barely remember these movies, how far did they actually go with the IR elf x dwarf stuff? or was there some elf x human shit too?

i vaguely remember some scene having to do with some elf x dwarf shit in the third movie, but i have no recollection of whether it actually went anywhere bothersome or if they just threw in the bare minimum amount of dialogue for some lightweight pandering

>tfw this YA kino never got adapted

>Want to add The Fault in Our Stars, only because it looks boring as fuck

Yeah but the Netflix show is kino

>mfw i really liked eragon as a kid
>mfw i got the xbox game for it

Anyone remember the Lightning Thief?

Percy Jackson thread? Why'd they fuck it up so badly?

Gods that movie sucked, can't believe it got a sequel.

>Not the end is rear

This movie is a masterpiece though. The Netflix show is mediocre, the entire thing just made me wish we had gotten a sequel.

You can't go doing that sort of thing wants you've made the thread.

I heard it was pretty good and did well, it's getting a sequel.
>2 years ago
Really? Jesus fucking Christ.

it was ok, not as good as the show which were a lot better than the books to be honest

I remember Artemis Fowl was another big book series at the time that never got adapted

was bartimaeus ever on the level of artemis fowl though? no one i know has ever heard of bartimaeus but artemis fowl is still pretty well known

bartimaeus books are better anyways

Even as an idiot 9 year old that thought the Eragon book was good I realized what a piece of trash this film was