/lang/ cause the other one dieded edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. (feel free to contribuite

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IgQEVIOtZ8o
comic.naver.com/webtoon/weekday.nhn
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

we're going to be easter/barted out

OLD THREAD:

3rd for study for at least 3 hours 5-6 days a week

german speaking anons, could you see if this translation was correct?

I wish I had time to study for three hours. I can maybe squeeze in an hour and a half but on most days I can only get 40 minutes between classes and work. Anki, Duolingo and other apps like those have been a great help in supplementing those 40 minutes with quick practice sessions here and there.

can you afford to split the three hours up into segments at different times? i take 15-30 min breaks between each hour so i can have some rest and do other stuff

>Without love, it can not be seen.
>Ohne die Liebe kann es nicht gesehen.
Ohne Liebe kann es nicht gesehen werden.
>I assume that if I were to say "Without love, it WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN seen", I would have to say "Ohne die Liebe wurde es nicht gesehen."
Nope. Ohne Liebe wäre es nicht gesehen worden.

>The single element that makes up the world is Love.
>Das einzige Element, das der Welt besteht aus, ist Liebe.
Das einzige Element, aus dem die Welt besteht, ist Liebe.

>"Zwoelf Eier werden aus ein Dutzend bestehen."
einEM Dutzend. Your sentence is just simple future though, meaning "Twelve eggs will consist of a dozen." The passive voice requires the participle ii of bestehen, which is bestanden BUT

you can't use intransitive verbs like bestehen aus in the passive voice. bestehen aus is always intransitive because it lacks an object.

bestehen without aus can also mean "to pass, to overcome", so that is a transitive verb because it can use an object, so you could say Die Prüfung wurde bestanden., "the exam was passed" but bestehen aus can never be used in the passive voice.

Thank you.

How to learn German?

how to learn anything

halp

TRANSLATION CHALLENGE
>The empire, long divided, must unite; long united, must divide. Thus it has ever been.
-Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Moss Roberts translation

Do you know anything about persian at all senpai? I can help you/give you some resources, but I need to know what you do or don't know already

« L'Empire longtemps divisé doit s'unir ; longtemps uni, doit se diviser. Il en a toujours été ainsi. »

Am I doin' it right?

شاهنشاهی, طولانی تقسیم شده, باید متحد بشود.
طولانی متحد شده, باید تقسیم بشود.
همیشه چنان بوده است .
Transliteration
>Shahanshahi, tulani taqsim shode, bayad motahed beshavad.
>Tulani motahed shode, bayad taqsim beshavad
>Hamishe chonan bude ast

El imperio, hay mucho dividido, debe unirse; hay mucho tiempo unido, debe dividirse. Como él siempre fue
Unless you're learning french... The idea is to translate to your target language

teikoku, nagai wakareteiru, awanakya; nagai atteiru, wakarenakaya. zutto kore desu
japanese

>romaji

>ローマ字

Ist das nicht meine Freundin von der Bushaltestelle?
Gehörst du auch dazu?

biump

Hace mucho dividido
Hace mucho unido
Como siempre ha sido
"hace mucho" implies time so you don't have to include tiempo unless you want to give it a more serious tone imo

where in the world would you like to go and live, taking advantage of your foreign language skills?

>tfw you keep spelling fucking everything wrong and are putting words in the wrong order and forgetting the words altogether and becoming very fucking annoyed and getting very fed up and not feeling nice
>And also your handwriting is so shit that the natives you ask for help can't correct any of your work
All in all its going well

No where because I'm a beginner
So how's everyone progressing?

don't forget to do the right stroke order when writing so your letters look better

I'm in a kind of indecision stasis where every day i worry about doing something but never get around to doing anything.

How much free time do you have?

Too much, i'm NEET.

Nigga i only go outside to go grocery shopping and go to the gym

Het rijk, lang verdeeld, moet verenigen. Lang verenigd, moet verdelen. Dus is het ooit geweest

I wrote a few sentences in Norwegian and German

Anyone learning Russian? Thinking about learning it and I'm looking for good resources, I'm downloading all the Russian stuff and I have this as reference, I'd like some more recommendations and stuff.

Shyo me the meaning of despair!

An Argentian posted asking the same thing, check old threads

Cheers senpai, I'll check it out

Give me a good site to practice reading in Finnish or Mandarin

Anyone got any resources for leaning Dutch or Afrikaans?

Really can't recommend Turkish Tea Time enough for anyone learning Turkish. Even two years after the last podcast was made, the creator will respond to questions on the site, usually within a day.

Livelingua.com has shit

How is Duolingo's Greek course?

Is this just a discipline thing? I really "want" to learn a language, but I can't seem to get into it. Is it just me being a piece of shit bitch?

Yes, it's mostly discipline. And I feel you man, it's tough. I was trying to make myself learn Japanese for almost a year after I quit my job but I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't make myself start reading. I think it's a comfort zone thing. However, once you start doing it it'll get a little bit easier. If you keep it up day after day you'll get fully into it and it'll be easy. Now I'm learning japanese 4-8 hours a day.

Set a time every day to study then. It'll naturally become a habit after a while. That's the hardest part desu, once you sit down it's smooth sailing.

How are you finding nippish? Are you learning just because of anime and Vidya ?

>habit
this
form habits

I also find that telling your normie friends and setting up a normie blog if some sort that tracks your progress, like Facebook or whatever, keeps you motivated

You don't want to lose face

Thanks user. I guess I just need to push through to get started.

>normie-ness
what no user just motivate yourself, you do not need external validation to succeed

The normies are (not always) the enemy

Embrace them! Behold the power of social media and the occasional question of
> teehee user, what have you done in [language] so far? Can I see your progress? :3

It's precisely that. Just do 30 mins a day.

Are you NEET or something?

Someone respond.

I don't know about Finnish, rare language, but Mandarin speakers are everywhere. They're the most common speaker in the world. You could probably go outside and find some Chinese people

youtube.com/watch?v=IgQEVIOtZ8o
>13 year old Japanese girl learns English just by reading a fuckton of books, doesn't even use a dictionary
So this is the true power of COMPELLING CONTENT

No, fuck off. Nobody wants you here

There are chinese people literally living next door, but I'm not gonna start up a conversation with them out of nowhere because I'm not a fucking lunatic.
Besides, I just want to practice reading.
Say that to my face irl, cunt.

I'll do my best tomorrow. For sure.

Learning 87words for a translation test, shows up to the test, none of the word seen during lectures, super hard text, have to learn five other text for Friday I'm so done, I want to die REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

desu that's how I learned English too, just change books for vidya

could use some help.
In korean and ran into
사람들이었다
I understand that 사람들 means people but I don't get the end part.

It's 이다 = to be
but at the past tense

so "they were people" ?

Yes, if it seems weird to you give the full context of the sentence

it's the very first sentence, just started.
프리벳 가 4번지에 사는 더즐리 부부는 자신들이 정성적이라 는 것을 아주 자랑스럽게 예기는 사람들이었다.

I live for the most part off the money I've made when I was working, so I don't think I qualify as NEET.

It's the very first sentence of what ? It doesn't look like a beginner sentence at all

of harry potter

neet just means you aren't in school, training or employed. doesn't mean you are poor or are getting government funding.

I see, I wouldn't read foreign literature in Korean personally

Why not? I read a bunch of posts of people learning languages by reading HP in the target language.

How hard are the following for an Anglophone and Hispanophone?
>N*rwegian
>Italian
>Est*nian
>*rabic
>Portuguese
>Irish

Which should I learn? Also, which are the most useful?

My desire to learn these are in the same order they are listed above.

From easiest to hardest for you
>Shitalian/Portuguese
>Norwegian
>Estonian
>Arabic
Why the fuck would you learn Irish, even they don't speak it

Usefulness depends on whether you want to communicate with actual humans are literal monkeys playing Dota 2

or literal monkeys*

Also for learning I'd recommend Norwegian. Personally I'd say German, maybe Dutch or Sw*dish if they were on the list

Yes but Korean is an Asian language which means it has dramatically different sentence structures and ways to express things. Of course the translation isn't "false" but that's a translation of something that was written with a western language, which means that it's steal heavily influenced by the way of thinking and the sentence building of it's native language.
Reading something more typically Korean would give you more, in term of cultural aspects, and sentence building, for example one thing, Koreans rarely write long descriptive sentences. Asian philosophy books are very short, that's of course part of their philosophy but because the language suits better this form of writing. You also won't have Korean expressions, typical Korean sentences etc...

I stopped watching anime when I was 21 or so, though I can occasionally read a manga or a novel. Japanese segment of the internet holds much bigger allure. But the main thing is, I'm a fighting game player and I want to move to Japan to pursue my passion (and also because fuck Russia). So Vidya I guess.
Japanese is pretty fun, though difficult. I was able to learn english simply by reading books and watching movies and stuff, but with Japanese it's simply impossible. I have to use anki and other programs to help with kanji. I've heard that it takes average person 7-8 years to learn kanji to the level of an average Japanese adult, and that figure is kinda demoralizing, but I think I'll get it to at least acceptable level for living in Japan in a year or two.

Thanks, bro. I just thought it'd be fun to learn Irish, but I guess you're right. Even an Irish dude in college said the same thing.

Isn't Dutch just drunk German, or is that a top level meme?

i’m a languagelet, pls help

“Dommage” translated to English is “Pity”, but isn’t Pity itself a french word? When you translate “Pity” back to french it comes out as “Pitié”

You're going to want something you'll actually get use out of (not Irish and probably not Estonian) and something that's not going to be absurdly hard to learn (Arabic) if we're being honest.
It's sort of a halfway point between German and English; the grammar in general and case system is a fair bit easier to learn and they basically combined the masculine/feminine gender into one. Pronunciation is harder though. Take what I say with a grain of salt because my Dutch is at a beginner level whereas my German's somewhere on the upper end of intermediate

While I don't like people bragging about impossible, or super ambitious goals, 8years is really a lot unless you want to be as good as a native speaker, between 3 and 5 year is an honest goal I believe

It means "too bad"

Ahhh that makes sense, i guess it’s no different than saying just “Pity” really. Thanks friend

If harry potter isn't good, should I just look for a book that originates from korea instead? I'd really like to be able to read a fantasy/sci fi novel.

next semester I'll probably have time to study a language, dubs decide which language

bee language

here, going to shill G*rman on you too.

comic.naver.com/webtoon/weekday.nhn
What about some webcomics ?

Tibetan

pls learn irish.
Bump before bed, uni in the morn boys.

Welsh

Klingon

Farsi

With an english and spanish background, Norwegian and Italian will be good. Spanish helps Italian more than English helps norwegian, though.

Like personally like Dutch. Currently working on it and it's comfy for an english speaking I think. Thinking Norwegian next.

pls don't die again

Stop posting shitty posts crying about how you haven't studied for a week with frog and feel pictures 10 times every fucking thread then.

how do you enjoy/learn from any media in a different language at 0 level?

Subs or being content with not understanding said media

Das Reich, lange geteilt, muss sich vereinen, lange vereint, muss einteilen. Es war immer so.

Even in English that last sentence is awkward. Also reposted because I forgot part of it

muss sich einteilen* I always forget reflexive verbs. Can a German tell me why translations are saying to use teilen when to my knowledge it means to share?

>Can a German tell me why translations are saying to use teilen when to my knowledge it means to share?

You do realize words can have, like, several meanings, right? "muss sich teilen" is correct. "einteilen" means "to ration".