There will be blood general

What the FUCK was his problem?

He swallowed all of the red-pills.

small penis

Was it autism?

Got cucked and raised someone's son

The embodiment of blind, unrelenting ambition.

I still have this movie in my backlog, is it actually good or a snorefest

How was he cucked? There was nothing sexual about his decision to raise the boy. In fact it was the one redeeming thing he did In entire film. Rest was greed and bitterness

Why was he not upset about his son going blind and going away? He seems to express in the beginning that his son means everything to him and that everything he's doing is for him, but he seems indifferent.

It's good. You just have to turn off phone and let it do its thing.

Reddit film

But he doesn't give a shite about his boy during the blowout scene. He saves him then celebrates the black gold. He forgets him then abandons him in his hour of need.

such a good fucking movie

(you)

The more you try to make something of your life, the more you succeed, the more you'll have to deal with petty, small-minded greedy people throwing themselves in your way, fucking things up for you, planning scams on you, demanding their "share" of your work.

If you don't have a loving family and good friends/partners on your side, to balance that out, the world will drain you out and make you cynical and hateful. By the time Daniel finally earned his mansion, he didn't want anything but to get drunk all day and hide from everyone.

Because he's a psychopath or, at the least , a narcissist. He never cared for the boy and even states plainly in the end that he used him for purposes of selfish gain.
I don't think it's even redeeming because there were never good intentions and Daniel's way of being only ended it in tatters

I remember watching it with my father who was a roughneck on the 'rigs in the 80s. He went very quiet during the blowout scene and said it was a damn fine film.

He used the boy though.

He forgets him? What about all the scenes of him helping H.W.? He takes time to have a conversation about getting a doctors to come out there to help him. The only reason why he abandons H.W. was because he tried to burn Henry alive which could have killed Daniel, and destroyed their home.

He burned Henry because he realised that he was a fake and had no way of telling daniel due to Daniel's refusals to Communicate with him. Then he sent him away to a school in a very cruel manner.

What was his intentions?

H.W. can't read. There was no way he knew Henry was a fake after looking at an upside book and finding a picture for 30 seconds. He wouldn't just burn him for that reason without maybe trying to wait for a time he can attempt to speak to warn Daniel. Daniel never refused to speak to H.W.

I think he really did love HW and want the best for him. I also think, by the end of the film, that he was such a hollowed-out husk of a human being that he knew he could provide nothing good for HW's life anymore.

The kid's life didn't "end in tatters," he married a nice girl and was ready to start his own business. On some level, the best thing Daniel could've done was to sever the tie completely, so that HW could live his own life and start a real family, without having to care for his alcoholic, demented "dad."

The "bastard in a basket" scene was almost like a "Harry and the Hendersons" moment. He had to hurt HW's feelings badly enough to drive him away for good, for his own good, because it'd only be bad for him to stick around Daniel at that point.

>going blind

>"You're an orphan from a basket in the middle of the desert, and I took you for no other reason than I needed a sweet face to buy land. D'you get that? So now you know."
Quote taken from the final conversation between the two

Good point my bad.

>The "bastard in a basket" scene was almost like a "Harry and the Hendersons" moment. He had to hurt HW's feelings badly enough to drive him away for good, for his own good, because it'd only be bad for him to stick around Daniel at that point.

No. He hated H.W. at that moment, he didn't do it for his son's own good. Daniel despised H.W. after learning of him going to Mexico to start his own oil business. Plus the fact H.W. married the girl who's family Daniel saw as weak, stupid people. He drove H.W. away for his own selfish reasons, for his own self deprecating decision to forget about H.W. He through away the last person he loved, and just drank, and remembered a nice time with his son taking his hat.

I meant the relationship between father and son was left in tatters. And you're probably reading too much into it when his reasoning for cutting ties with his son is foreshadowed.
>"I have a competition in me"
Is what he says to his fake brother earlier in the film, and he elaborates on his, it is not enough that I win but others must lose badly, mentality. In the final conversation Daniel specifically mentions that his son is competition now... you can infer from that how he wants his sons luck to play out

He dragged himself out of a mineshaft and through the desert with a broken leg, so of course he despises everyone else as weak and lecherous

Daniel Plainview's problem is that the rest of the world couldn't keep up.

I think he was just bitter and greedy prior to mineshaft. I mean who watches their gold getting measured before being healed.

Explain more please pal.

Someone who dragged himself through the desert on his own probably does

I imagine most would toss the gold as it was weighing them down and just be glad to be alive. My point is that that scene is an illustration of his character rather than the making of it

pretty much

If he drunk my milkshake, that pipe would be going in his ass.

ultimately he leaves HW because he loathes inferiority and he saw him as something that wasn't worth saving
his struggle throughout the film is knowing he's like that and not properly accepting it

You´re probably right

Thanks man

I think you're right about his thoughts and intentions in that moment. But at the same time, I still feel like it was the best thing he could've done for HW at that point. He was in an absolute tailspin, and he probably knew he'd never get better again. He would've been a burden and a negative influence on his son and his family, if he stayed in their life.

I think it's a little too simple to say he was JUST using HW for the entire movie. I think he really did love him and care for him, as much as he was capable of doing. If you see Daniel as exclusively hateful and bitter, you're missing a lot about the character and the film.

>What the FUCK was his problem?
this lazy shitty meme should result in autoban

Nailed it.

I don't think he was exclusively hateful and bitter, I just think he's a psychopath

There is so much other mindless bullshit that should apply to aswell

thank you
to add to that, that loathing of inferiority is also the main theme with Eli - he sees religious belief as what inferior people do to make themselves feel useful in the world; to actually witness Eli succeed while Plainview was the one doing "the real work" in the world drove him to madness bit by bit
Plainview's ultimate punishment is having bad things happen to him that he can't control (namely having no affection from anyone in his life); he built his life around materialistic pursuit and success through hard-work, neglecting and spitting on spirituality, and it's these ethereal things that he reluctantly craves but that money can't really buy

He did nothing wrong.

That's a big part of it, but I think he wouldn't have hated Eli quite as much if Eli was actually genuine in his faith. He could see throughout the film that Eli was faking it. He WAS a false prophet, manipulating the other people in the town and passing himself off as a visionary for the sake of social status and money. Daniel compared himself against Eli and felt that his business was providing a great deal of tangible value and improvement to the lives of everyone in the town. Eli just pretended to talk to God, and was loved and embraced for it.

In the end, Eli comes to him trying to make a deal for the oil in the Bandy tract. He's whoring himself for money and fame, talking about his radio show and shit. He finally shows himself to be a capitalist just like Daniel, he just doesn't have the gall to approach it directly and honestly, and he isn't much good at it.

I agree, Plainview always knew he was a phony. What I think angered Plainview the most was the fact that Eli actually presented himself as an happy man making something so simple and worthless of his life. As I stated he loathes mediocrity, and he gets completely triggered over people who feel happy in mediocrity. Mainly because he never feels happy, so those people make him jealous.
The last 2 scenes kind of nail this. He revolts against the grown up HW because he can't stand that he'll be leading a happy life, doing much less work than he ever did in the process. Also that last scene where he humiliates Eli is Plainview just making sure Eli isn't a happy man either. As in "I had these beliefs and I failed, so I must make sure you failed as well"