Potential movie of the decade

What sets apart Whiplash from every other film released this decade?

>movie of the decade

For me, the pace was well off.

Drive, Nightcrawler and Black Swan were all better.

it had a good tempo to it

His technique was off the entire movie and sets a poor example overall of what practicing jazz is actually like

Shit, an opinion I actually agree with. What's happening to me?

Actually wait, nevermind. I preferred Whiplash to Nightcrawler

It's just a movie, it's not supposed to be a realistic portrayal of what being a jazz musician is like

No, the 1st and 3rd act are amazing, I hate the car crash scene.

i wrote this backwards i didn't like the car crash scene and what followed, but did like the ending

Nothing aside from the good acting. It's just a sports movie but with jazz music instead of football.

The hero and the villain switch places so many times you are not quite sure who is who at the end.

Dunkirk, probably the most out there mainstream film when it comes to style

The car crash and what happened thereafter is what made the movie a subversion of an artist's tragedy like the Black Swan.

Same
Im not sure why.
I feel like maybe whiplash played its cards closer to its chest, was more consistent with its serious tone.
There were moments in nightcrawler from what I remember that were self indulgent and bordered on comedy and or surrealism. I still loved it but I think tonely whiplash edged it out.

Dare I say "not quiet your tempo"

I always took Nightcrawler for a black comedy in the vein of American Psycho. I don't think it was meant be realistic.

I have no problem with it not being realistic, sorry if that's what my comment came off as
I more ment that if it's tone was that of a black, it didn't stick to that tone. some scenes were funny but some felt like they were from a different script.

Oh yeah, I can see that. It was kind of all over the place at times.

>Drive, Nightcrawler
Both are reddit as fuck, especially Nightcrawler. No idea why that movie is so heavily lauded.

>I have to hate everything people on another url like because I'm just that insecure.

who stole the music sheets?

Nightcrawler isn't a comedy in any vein at all and I've been a fan of American Psycho since I saw that shit on VHS like a million years ago. AP was hamfisted and obvious in how it's presented and executed. Nightcrawler is AP with all the fun sucked out of it and replaced with gritty realism that blurs the lines.

It's unashamedly masculine.

>gritty realism

I don't know about that. Nightcrawler is pretty over the top.

La La Land was so bad that it made me like Whiplash less in retrospect because it became clear the director only has a meme understanding of jazz.

I don't hate everything, user, far from it. I just see the same things posted about Nightcrawler (wow he's so crazy haha, whoa he got ropbbed of a best actor nominee lol) without much depth when I found it pretty garden variety.

J A N I T O R

Are you fucking dense?Have you ever been to a subreddit about cinema?Fat 20something pretentious neckbeards talking about being better than everyone is while liking shit movies is

Nolan in his worst excess.

>hero
>villain
>a movie set in real life

Stop watching superhero movies

I bet your favorite movie is TWBB.

>Fat 20something pretentious neckbeards

Like Sup Forums is that different

....No. Why?

Not even that user, but nice rebuttal, you're doing a great job defending your redditbabby Nightcrawler with posts like this. Muh gritty realism? lol

why would you want a gf? why? just think about it, they probably sit on the toilet to do w/e. THEN you go and sex her, but her ass cheeks have bacteria from the
toilet seat. (now your bed sheets are dirty as fuck, your hands are covered in microbic shit from the toilet and who knows what the fuck else) [this is the best case scenario where she hasnt even had another dink in her, don't get me started on that] FUKN GROCE, this is why you shouldn't get one and be glad you don't

He did it for the hotpockets?

I don't why miles let this faggot slap him. I'd be happy to get slapped by some wormlooking piece of shit it means you're allowed to smack the shit out of him