Junji Ito cinematic universe

would it unironically be kino ?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imgur.com/gallery/qqGe7
monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2010/12/junji-ito-thing-that-drifted-ashore.html?m=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes

No. Ito's horror style relies to much on how he using white and black in his art, putting them into motion would would take away from the tension. Also the absurdity of most of his more well known works like Gyo or Spiral would be a major turn off for Hollywood.

pretty difficult to adapt

I'd like to see Guillermo del Toro direct Gyo.

I bet you would, faggot

The nature of the pus physics is really bothering me in OPs pic

She doesn't even react as it's traveled over 40cm to reach her face - implying great speed yet in second panel we see it coiling as though it was actually moving slow.

Be consistent or don't draw.

I've seen like two junji ito movies and they were both shit.

Admittedly the nips have trouble with live action, with a few exceptions (and a ton of exceptions pre 1970s,) so this may not be a good example.

That being said, the Uzumaki movie was absolute shit. Maybe a tales from the crypt type miniseries? Who knows. Now that Netflix is starting to fund the japs, maybe we can get it someday.

>Be consistent or don't draw.

What an obnoxious little autist you are. I'm glad it bothers you

fuck I love the Cat Diary
but yeah he doesn't really translate well to movies, even Gyo anime was kind of shitty, but some lighter works could make for a good black comedy thing maybe

>Be consistent or don't draw.
yes, this frogposter certainly knows more about drawing than a renowned underground artist.

a $200 million hard-R-rated horror flick about fart-powered fish monsters. suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

I'd love to see this adapted. Uzumaki is too broad and spans over so many events. Gyo would be a CGI clusterfuck. Maybe Hellstar Remina would be cool

Uzumaki is fantastic. Both the movie and the manga. I love all of Ito's work and wish more of his stuff made it to film. Also wished they released more of his stuff in English.

Silent Hills being cancelled might've been one of the top disappointments in my life. I still can't believe it. The Kojima/Del Toro/Ito train better come back together for something.

Yeah what a damn shame. Hopefully they collaborate later on

I'd love it but how the fuck do you make Hellstar Reina a movie?

lmao agree

Literally this. I will never, EVER, not be mad about it. So sad.

A monster movie. Show how society crumbles under apocalypse. Remina on the verge of being a martyr and her struggle to survive under circumstances not of her doing but is blamed for. I like it more than Gyo or Uzumaki

Easy. Stark black and white. Tetsou the iron man like

Whats the one where someone (the father?) turns out to be stuck underneath the house support poles or something?

m.imgur.com/gallery/qqGe7
The Sad Tale of the Principal Post

>Hellstar Remina
Is that the one with the flying people?

It does have a section where they are flying yeah

Yes thank you. Always gave me an uneasy feeling just because theres no sensible explanation for how he got there.

Yeah. Sometimes shit just happens.

It was good until those teens riding tornados came in, completely ruined the horror atmosphere for me. Also stuff like Jack in the box was dumb.

Loved the manga still though. Snail chapter a best

The Thing that Drifted Ashore was great too.

monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2010/12/junji-ito-thing-that-drifted-ashore.html?m=1

Ito walks a very fine line between straight horror (there's a monster, or a legend, etc) and what in literature they call weird fiction (which is more about some strange violations in the natural order of things; there might be an explanation but it's not as clear cut as in "oh it's happening because of X curse or whatever)). I think his better stories fall in the latter category.

Also Ito has a lot of troubles with endings. Sometimes his tales don't end, but just sort of stop

this would end as a ridiculous CGI fuckfest. it shines the best as a manga.

They can just make it black and white you know

yes. it would be great but they would have to trim a lot down even if it was dedicated to only 1 of the arcs

tomie would probably be the one they would go with but souichi is better imo because the end of his arc runs into other stuff smoother not a clean break. him being eaten by that thing in the swamp and its some fugly famous model that eats other people in a story dedicated to it

Why would you open your mouth

I think a black and white Netflix show just adapting a broad range of his stories would be good. Like an anthology.

I don't think he's very good at overall narratives or stories, but a lot of his smaller stories or pieces could be effectively turned into a solid hour of tense dreadful horror. Uzamaki would work better if you took the top 3 stories from it and just made those 3 stand alone episodes. Same goes for a lot of his other stuff.

Who should direct?

Maybe a different director each episode. Del Toro, Fukanaga, Fede Alvaraz, David Robert Mitchell. Just a whole bunch of capable talent.

this is retarded

I remember being scared by the hanging balloons for like 2 days, then I watched the live action film and couldn't stop laughing at it and it ruined the horror of the manga. I don't think a live action movie would be any good unironically.