What did they mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xKyp9rGzZ20
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

don't be greedy

that the old police guy cant compete with modern criminals

if you stumble upon a pile of money it aint your money

No country for racist grandpa presidents

That America is full of useless faggots and it needs an army of french guys with pig pistons to heal it.

moral of the story:
>acquire stolen money from criminals
>never return to the crime scene to give water to a dying thug

The world has always been fucked up, and will continue to be fucked up.

he would be killed sooner if he never returned to the crime scene

>french

dont talk to weirdos and dont try to be a good guy

here is a good explanation:

youtube.com/watch?v=xKyp9rGzZ20

The movie follows the book really closely, pretty much scene for scene, untill the end. The sherrif doing the soliloquy is like 100 pages of more story in the book.

If you stumble upon a drug deal gone bad make sure you cover your tracks and find the signal locator in the briefcase full of money

the 100 pages are just describing the dream? what happens?

This. The end bit where the sheriff visits the old cripple with the cats makes it blatant.

Big difference is the book's main character is the sherrif and the movie's main character is llewelyn. The book has a lot of additional elements that were cut for pacing as you can imagine, including more mini-essays from the sheriff (which are incorporated into the movie in the form of voice overs or in dialogue with other people), a bit more about how llewelyn was in vietnam, and a long section at the end of the book was entirely cut which detailed how llewelyn went on the run before the cartels eventually caught up and murdered him. On the run he met a teenage girl who was running away from home and wanted to fuck him but he didnt and they bonded, then they both got murdered by the mexican cartel's men.

movies main character is the sheriff

It's not that I'm afraid of it. I always knew you had to be willing to die to even do this job. But, I don't want to push my chips forward and go out and meet something I don't understand. A man would have to put his soul at hazard. He'd have to say, "O.K., I'll be part of this world."

I don't think the movie had a sole protagonist. It felt to me like it was split telling 2 character's stories. Kind of like how The Gods Must Be Crazy tells the story of multiple characters, whose stories all end up intertwining in some way.

>the old cripple with the cats

That's his father,a former sherrif

The story is about Tommy Lee Jones and how he is getting too old to witness and compete with the new crimes that are coming up. Man has become an Animal and the sheriff don't want to face it

Many countries for young girls?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not. The old cripple is his uncle, not his father. His father is dead. And the whole point of that scene is that Chigurth is nothing new.

God has left the scene and man is the ultimate Animal. The world is a fucked up place and apparently it has always been. In this lack of moral people set their own codexes/rules (The lawful Sheriff and Chigurh) but in the end the only law is the law of chance, no matter what you do your destiny won't be of your choice
Chigurh embraces this by forcing the rule of chance with a coin toss, but eventually meets chance as he randomly crashes his car in the end, random chance prevails
Sheriff on the other hand only starts to realize that the world isn't changing but that his enthusiasm about it is, he has been waiting his whole life for things to make sense but they never do. The only things that do make sense are the stories from the past, but even his father reassures him that it was always as violent.
>"I always thought when I got older that God would sort of come into my life in some way. He didn't"
For Sheriff this is truly no longer "a country for old men" thus he retires. In absence of god or law, the sheriff doesn't want to work . he doesn't want to meet something he doesn't understand so he removes himself

Chigurh is a perfect representation of this violence and absence of God. A ruthless machine with no moral code whatsoever, a perfect killing machine lacking empathy and any other basic human trait. But as we see even he is vulnerable to the only law, the law of chance

As for llewellyn, he is just a person in a wrong place and a wrong time. A hunter that is being hunted

the whole point of the movie was the sheriffs character and how it changed as a result of the case. the thing this movie did that was so unique and hoodwinked so many people into thinking llewelyn's character was important to the plot at all was showing the case unfold on screen, rather than the classic way of having the sheriff arrive at each crime scene and piece the whole thing together. think of another movie in which the main character's story involves reacting to a specific event; the entire llewelyn vs. anton story was just that case, but actually shown on screen rather than alluded to

Why didn't he just threw out the signal locater or put it in sewer and go in opposite direction. It would've given him more to escape.

So Llewellyn is killed by cartels? I thought he was killed by anton.

When he found the locator it was already too late, Anton found him and was in front of the door
In the shootout later they injure each other and Llywelyn ends up in hospital, he manages to escape later but the Cartel finds him (his wife's mother accidentally tells some Mexican where Llywelyn is )

>So Llewellyn is killed by cartels?
Yes. There's a scene where you can see them running from the crime scene. Chigurth was travelling to kill Llewellyn's wife.

In both movie and book he's killed by the cartel. They track him by the phone calls he make to his wife, i believe.