Was this the most underappreciated show in the history of television? HBO admitted they fucked up by cancelling it...

Was this the most underappreciated show in the history of television? HBO admitted they fucked up by cancelling it. I think if it had started airing after 2010, GoT wouldn't hold a candle.

I thought BBC pulled out

I read they were going to make a movie. I think they just said that to placate the fans.

It was more expensive to make than GoT with a lot less viewers.

Second season was a bit of a mess, the whole jew sideplot and it felt rushed as hell.

I haven't watched this yet. But I'm probably going to in the next month or so. What am I in for exactly? I constantly here good and bad things, but the setting and some of the clips I've seen really interest me. What are the good and bad things?

Good things: Acting, character development, realistic and gory depictions of battle and a lot of steamy sex scenes.

Bad things: The majority of the second season and some omissions of actual history.

Good things
>Caesar and Mark Anthony
>Octavian's
>brotherhood between Veranus and Pullo
>set designs and costume designs
>Roman politics and intrigue in general

Bad Things
>Octavia and Veronus' wife and childrens
>a lot of battle conflicts are resolved offscreen (budget), like they will prepare for an epic battle and it will just be "I have won" afterwards
>second seasoned they rushed the Cleopatra and Mark Anthony plot

>a lot of battle conflicts are resolved offscreen
No, that was not a bad thing, capeshit fag.

What does wanting to see Roman battles played out have anything to do with capeshit?

They don't have to show the entire thing but at least build up why other side won. Or interject it with turning points in a fight rather than just resolve it anticlimatically after building it up.

Nice deflection, capeshit MORON.

A few battles really suffered from not being seen. Like Mutina which wasn't really a victory for Octavion since he lost more men and Antony escaped encirclement. But for all season 2 they go on about how it was a victory for Octavion. Would of helped if they showed the abttle and we could learn the details more.

>most underappreciated

Even though Rome is great, that would be Carnivale.

Was he a big guy?

>tfw you will never eat true Roman bread for true Romans

The series was terrific and didn't need any battles to be more better.

>Good things
>>Caesar
Meh, I didn't like their version of Cesar. It's hard to think of anyone besides Genghis Khan who directly impacted human history through their achievements more than him, and he did it by virtue of genius. Only really massive mistake he made was underestimate just how incredibly stupid and ignorant the roman nobility was. Anyway, it was lame to have so many scenes of him looking like an idiot who seems barely to understand what's going on or relies on his slave to remember things for him. Especially when the slave has to come up with his rhetorical device for him. Guy was one of the best rhetoricians who ever lived, that shit isn't acceptable.

You do know why this portrayal was this way, right?

The final scene with Vorenus and M.Antony was one of the most heartbreaking moment in Sup Forums
"Don't you die here with me"

S2 sucked outside of Antony and they fucked up the most important character to the story (Octavian). Also I got tired of Vorenus's bullshit pretty quickly and didn't care about his family. Deadwood is better.

why?

Claim your Romewaifu

>What does wanting to see Roman battles played out have anything to do with capeshit?

honestly, nothing

but in a show like rome, im more interested in the characters and drama than i am in watching 20 dudes charge at 20 other dudes while tricky camera work and cgi makes it seems like there's hundreds/thousands

gay

I remember blindly ordering this on ebay in the late 2000s and forcing the senpai to watch it on a whim

after the first episode they were all blaming me for the nudity and unnecessary sex but by episode 4 we were marathoning 3 eps a night and by the end tho whole senpai was hooked and had a jolly good time the whole way thru

I miss this show

>tfw you will never give your life defending Rome from the uneducated barbarian hordes

Rome is the only other civilization that can give the USA a run for its money for greatest civilization

>it's a Vorenus Family episode
As many other shows, this was far from perfect
It's still one of my favorites, I marathon it at least once every couple of years

heh

It was pure miliuskino

I have a feeling it didn't attract a huge women audience because it didn't have too many hamfisted stronkwomen like GoT currently has

I finished watching the entire series two days ago. It was brilliant, the only thing I didn't like about it was the glaring time skips, although I can't fault them since that time period is too long and expensive to flesh out on screen.

Vorenus didn't by the way.

pls explain

They had a whole story arch with the younger Octavian, but when the producers found out the show was getting axed, they had to condense what was supposed to be a couple seasons worth of material into only a couple of episodes.

Didnt it have a bad time slot?

No but it premiered the day hurricane katrina made landfall

Vinyl. Seriously I don't understand how it can't just get one more season