This was quite a good film, but to be honest I thought the ending was very anticlimactic

This was quite a good film, but to be honest I thought the ending was very anticlimactic

Leone knows how to end a film but this one just sort of petered.

Also, so why was Pesci in this at all? His character was almost completely irrelevant

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RVqOJGDrRXU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I like James Woods

Me too

>has police fake his death
>becomes leading politician

did anyone else find that really incredibly implausible?

whole movie is an opium dream

Did you watch the extended version with the extra recovered footage? The Pesci parts make more sense after that

I loved the last scene when he drifts off into an opium haze. Probably my favorite last shot of any film.

I feel that the ending perfectly encapsulates the entirety of the movie. Due to the nature of it being a very nostalgic movie, the somewhat subdued ending, while being both sad and peaceful, is what it needed. I can't imagine this movie with a bombastic ending, it would feel very out of place with the rest of the movie.

In his western movies, the action is always the center. There's always energetic music and intense cinematography with his westerns. In this movie, the action scenes are almost all music-less and with a more emotionless camera, except of course for the scene where the kid dies. Music, in this movie, plays over emotional moments for characters, and not over their action scenes.

lol, rereading this I kinda rambled on, but I just love this movie, and all his other ones, so I'll take any chance I get to talk about this movie.

Nah,just the 3h49m version. Pesci's character has a build up but literally ends up being irrelevant

Hm, I guess. When I said "Leone knows how to end a film" I was thinking of the Good,Bad and Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West, which have very strong, emotional and thrilling endings. I guess this is kind of like Leone's Unforgiven, in a way

Maybe it's a bad comparison but I like to look at Leone and Kurosawa and Ran to me is just a better experience imo

>Hm, I guess. When I said "Leone knows how to end a film" I was thinking of the Good,Bad and Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West, which have very strong, emotional and thrilling endings.

very low IQ statement when Once Upon A Time in America is a story all about regret and the cruelty of time. that's what the ending is about too. the fact that it threw you for a loop and you questioned why it didn't have some rousing climax just shows what an unsophisticated, uncomprehending child you are.

If you were to compare Kurosawa and Leone, I'd say that Once upon a time in America is more comparable to Kurosawa's High and Low than it is Ran. I think that some people expect OUATIA to be an action film like all of Leone's other movies, but fundamentally its not. It doesn't help that almost all gangster movies are intense while OUATIA is extremely melancholic.

*Tips*

tipped my dick into ur moms mouth gayboy

>I've been going to bed early

youtube.com/watch?v=RVqOJGDrRXU

>>There's also another scene in that movie, again involving the woman, played by Elizabeth McGovern. She's become an actress in New York. We are now in the 1960s, and he (Noodles) hasn't met her since the 1930s. She hasn't aged at all. Everyone else has got old. That's the only scene in a Leone film that I've ever watched where the audience was laughing, because they thought it was so bad. He (Leone) was trying to make a point that she was an eternal beauty. In Noodles' eyes she hasn't changed. But it doesn't work. It's a very subtle thing to do that. It just seemed that someone didn't have very good makeup. The audience was laughing. It's an embarrassment in a way. You shouldn't get that in a Leone picture.
cheekfu poster would be pissed

the whole opium dream theory would probably be the answer to why the 60s scenes and explanations feel so surreal, but the film itself has a lot of film-noir references. the missing money, noodles investigating, all of it feel like a film-noir.

Is Once Upon a Time in America better than The Godfather?

Watching this with my dad was an experience, we were both just in awe when the end credits came up and it felt like we lived a whole lifetime in just 4 hours.
What a fucking film man.

I find the Godfather more rewatchable and more fitting towards its genre, but Once Upon A Time is just about tied with it.

Noddles never left the opium den by his own means.

he gives Deborah and Max a happy ending in his mind after the rape and betrayal, there is no way one is a hollywood star and the other an accomplished politician and never had appeared on national television.

on the scene after the rape, you can see that there is tension between fat moe and noddles, but moe knows that max, patsy and cockeye would protect noddles, it is very hard to accept that after the death of the gang moe would help noddles escape and in the 60's welcoming him as a friend and discuss her sister career with him.

>he gives Deborah and Max a happy ending in his mind

Max committing suicide in an incredibly undignified, brutal way so that he doesn't have to face dying in prison and his family being ruined is a happy ending...?

I just meant comparing their final films, nothing more really

I especially noticed this in the "current time" scenes with Deborah. She still looked like she did when she was 12

Kurosawa made three more movies after Ran.

RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING

Absolute fucking garbage movie. Imagine the intended 6 hour cut. Leone had gone full retard. Not even fast-forward can save this one, and I switched to 1.5x (no frame drops so I saw the whole thing) about half way through.

The scene most representative of everything wrong with the movie is the scene where Noodles visits the tomb. He enters the tomb, examines everything extremely slowly and carefully, even examines the ceiling, and it's just an ordinary ceiling, no spider webs, nothing interesting, and the take drags on for like 10 seconds and you're thinking "get on with it!", and eventually the camera cuts back to eye level. And then it cuts back to the fucking ceiling! And we get another long take of the exact same boring ceiling we already saw! It's impossible to feel emotionally involved by now. I don't care about the story, I'm just thinking "fuck you Leone, fuck your bullshit time-wasting editing". It's more insulting than that ultra-long closeup while he's spying on the dancing girl, because you can at least theoretically justify that scene as suspense. The second ceiling shot is just plain time-wasting.

OUaTiA is the movie equivalent of the essays you wrote in school when you had a word quota to fill. Practically every shot has useless padding. It's even worse than OUaTitW, which was already painfully slow. If I'd been tricked into seeing it in theaters, with no fast-forward setting, I'd definitely have walked out.

This is why adhd pleb Americans should stick to Goodfellows

Cockeye's pan flute theme was coming from speakers inside the tomb

you almost got me upset.

What happened to him?

If you havent already then i suggest you read 'Hoods' by Harry Grey, it's what the films based on, great read.