Windows 10 in S Mode coming in the spring; upgrades to full Windows are free

neowin.net/news/windows-10-in-s-mode-coming-in-the-spring-upgrades-to-full-windows-are-free

Last month, we learned that Windows 10 Home will have an S Mode, similar to how the current Windows 10 S is Pro in S Mode. In fact, it should come as no surprise that all SKUs of the OS will have an S Mode, and Microsoft announced today that that will be coming with the next feature update to Windows 10 in the spring.

Users will have the ability to buy new PCs with Windows 10 Home or Pro, with S Mode enabled and, as announced at Ignite, businesses will be able to deploy PCs with Windows 10 Enterprise in S Mode. Moreover, customers will be able to upgrade to full Windows 10 for free, regardless of edition.

The blog post, written by Joe Belfiore, says that Microsoft expects "the majority of customers" to be able to use Windows 10 in S Mode, implying that the company is expecting those that upgrade to full Windows to be the exception, rather than the rule. Belfiore also said that it's planning on partners offering more devices with S Mode enabled.

The reason for the change is multifaceted. Microsoft heard feedback from both customers and partners that the Windows 10 S naming was confusing. Apparently, the suffix 'S' wasn't enough to let people know that they can't use the apps that they normally do. 'RT' had a similar problem. Also, referring to it as a mode allows Microsoft to do this with various versions of Windows.

After all, Windows 10 S as we currently know it has most of the features of Pro except for the ability to run most Win32 apps. It has things like Hyper-V, something that you won't get with Home in S Mode, and it's also something that most users don't need.

Nevertheless, this rebranding should arrive in the next feature update to Windows 10, which is due out next month. The good news is, if you buy a PC in S Mode, you can switch it to full Windows for free.

hould I update my windows 7 to windows 10? If ye to whch edition?

What is S-Mode?
I don't understand?

should

yes

which

>jumped through all the hoops to block windows 10 mandatory updates a year ago
>suddenly the build I'm on has had its security updates dropped
>now every night it downloads and fails to install an update without my consent, alt-tabbing me out of whatever I'm doing at the time to give me an error message
thank fuck im not on a data cap anymore at least

its 64 bit only

>Windows 10 S as we currently know it has most of the features of Pro except for the ability to run most Win32 apps

Soy mode

App? What are they talking about?

i don't understand shit
what is this S-mode?
i use Windows 10 since release and this is the best system ever
cracked of course because i was too fat and lazy to look for my original Windows 7 cd and i used cracked windows 8 before
i don't even have cd rom anyway

long live piracy

>i was too fat
Does obesity slow your mind too?

app as in normal Windows application I think, at least I hope they arent talking about some web store apps

Only soyboys using windows

Why the fuck anybody would want that?
or is there some benefits leave 32 support from your OS?

I dont know, maybe it gives more speed
At least in Linux, purely 64bit is faster than 32bit/64bit mix

I was just thinking that after i posted...haven't tried 64 bit only distros tho.

THIS
FUCK YOU KIKEROSOFT

>Windows 10 S takes the core of Redmond’s latest operating system and tunes it for education. The OS can only use apps that have been checked and cleared for use in the Windows Store. There's no access to the command line nor the ability to run your own scripts

Surely this won't be automatically updated to?

Fucking idiot. Win 10 was always worth updating to.

>

>he thinks win 7 is superior

Can I still play vidya?

>my reading comprehension is less than that of a 5 year old

>I didn’t write anything and I’m complaining about his reading comprehension

I'm obviously referring to what you wrote in response to the Aussie you dumb cunt.

You can’t even come up with anything to reply with. If you weren’t such a brainlet, you would have said something to disprove me.

Okay how does this sound then, unlike the Aussie I didn't even disable updates. Microsoft just fucked up due to their astonishing incompetence and can't install them for whatever reason so now I have to format my computer if I don't want to be harassed daily by their shitty autofailing updates.

Well, that sucks for you.

No.

y

Tldr version: microsoft wants to wall its user base like apple does: they only way how to install games, applications or fucking browser is to buy it from their microsoft store.

Will they succeed? Probably.
Does anybody care?
Normies only use facebook so no.
Kids play vidia and dont care as long as steam is there. So no.
Windows 7 users will either be forced to go w10 eventually (no drivers for new hardware) or linux.

The days where you download / pirate app for free and possibly.download virus with it are going to an slow end.

only Windows store games
steam isn't in the store