LOTR

I just finished watching the Fellowship [extended] for the first time in what may have been 10 years.
Never has there been a movie; a trilogy of movies, that has been more Perfectly executed in Scope, Vision, and Passion.
These Film continue to be the Shining Example of an Epic brought to Film, of such that has yet to be seen on screen again.
>inb4 you have your opinion, and I have mine. When I last saw these films, I was too young to grasp the Grandeur and Emotion The Fellowship held, and today, the film has left me in tears; more so than anything I've seen on the Silver Screen.
I maybe 'sucking this movies dick pretty hard,' but I stand by these Films, as something more Pure and Heartfelt than anything in today's world; a fragment of Hope still worth fighting for; and I love walking every step through Middle Earth.
Also, sorry to the intense gushing. i just needed to get it off my chest. Feel free to discuss and post LOTR, and/or dismiss my pleb tastes,or whatever.Love ya guys

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=im5CIpMFo4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=lIHFBJGj-yQ
youtu.be/nuUkLbOAWcU
youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I rewatched the series recently too and I found that while I was a kid, my favorite parts of the movie was Legolas kicking ass while character conversations and interactions bored me. Now that I watch it as an adult, I can't stand the Legolas + any hero fanservice and really enjoy the character interactions the most and realize I never really appreciated just how fantastic every actor was in that series.

Or how godly the soundtrack was.

Concerning Hobbits still gets me all choked up.

Evenstar and Forth Eorlingas are my favorites

youtube.com/watch?v=im5CIpMFo4Q

youtube.com/watch?v=lIHFBJGj-yQ

Yep, it's pretty much the best. 100 years from now people will still be watching it. Now read the books and the Silmarillion to go full Tolkienfag. It's a fun path.

youtu.be/nuUkLbOAWcU

that's the thing though isn't it? There is something for everyone but those somethings work in such a way that, even when delivered in the same package as something not meant for you, you still enjoy the films.

that said, the success of the first film did alter how character's were portrayed in later parts. For instance, Gimli becoming more of a butt monkey because audiences latched onto the "nobody tosses a dwarf line"

How did you feel about Boromir when you were a kid compared to now?

what the FUCK went wrong with The Hobbit?

did someone besides Hackson make LotR good?

youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

>the film has left me in tears
It's a great movie but grow some fucking balls.

thats just wrong though. They filmed all of the movies at once

filmed but not edited

As a kid, from the moment Boromir was introduced, I thought of him as the typical power-hungry, jealous villain type who wanted the ring for selfish reasons. Also, he had an unattractive face while Aragorn was handsome so clearly Boromir was the bad guy who would betray the fellowship while Aragorn was the good guy. But at the end he "redeemed" himself a little bit despite being a bad guy when he died trying to save Merry and Pippin.

As an adult though, I saw that it was more complicated than that. I realized that Boromir wasn't a bad guy at all and that I could relate to his actions. He was good and noble and always had his people's best interest at heart, but what made him incompatible with the rest of the fellowship was his lack of faith in Frodo. He saw the mission to Mordor as completely suicidal, which was completely reasonable, and had no belief in the fellowship to begin with. And what little faith he had in Frodo and the Fellowship falters even more when Gandalf, the most powerful member of their party, dies

(part 1/2)

(continued)
But the one thing he did have faith in was his own people, so much that one of the first things he does in the meeting at Rivendale is to brag "by our people are your lands kept safe!". He believes in the strength of men and takes great pride in his people and he detests Aragorn, not out of jealousy or insecurity, but because Aragorn believes the opposite: that men are weak and that the ring should be nowhere near the race of men. He saw Aragorn being ashamed of his own people and abandoning them, something Boromir would never feel or do. So that's why his death was especially tragic because his actions proved Aragorn right. Men were weak and it's why he is so devastated at the end. Not because he's dying, but because he believes his actions shows that the strength of men will fail and that his people are doomed because of it. But Aragorn comforts him and promises him that he will not let their people fall because he too had a realization after witnessing Boromir's bravery that would later affect his character down the line :"Yes, there is weakness, there is frailty, but there is courage also, and honor to be found in Men".

(part 2/2)

It's really a combination of things but the over reliance on CG, mediocre score and lack of a proper pre-production phase are some of the main reasons

Those conditions sound miserable as all fuck.

>Ride out with me as a last ditch effort to save our skins and abandon the women, children and the elderly to the mercy of the orcs.
Why was he such a coward?

Gandalf told him he would arrive with reinforcements at that time, and Theodin was going mad, so in order to buy some time for the women and the children he played off Theodin's distraught with a horse charge into the orcs (effective but suicidal). And obviously Gandalf was there as promised so they didn't end up dying because of the rohirrim charge.

LOTR cant get enough praise. Can't see this being remade in the next 30 years, if ever.

It makes the Hobitt trilogy very bad compared to it. Sorry for being negative here but Unexpected Journey was my biggest movie disappointment in life.

Continue with LOTR praising.

>never watched the fellowship
i'm reading it now though; i don't want to turn myself off it by watching the movie. I've watched the other two though

Breddy gud posts tbqh. Boromir did nothing wrong, though. He was my favourite as a kid and my favourite now. I was mortified when I couldn't play as him in the vidya.

"We must make for the gap of Rohan" (Where everyone ends up, anyway)

"Let us take the ring to Gondor" (Where everyone ends up, anyway)

"He will betray us all" (Which Frodo does)

in the books the women and children weren't with them there

They were escaping through the mountains at his point; the charge was a last ditch effort to buy time and hope Gandalf showed up with Éomer

>yfw you will never go into the West on a gray ship as the sun sets over the sea

the weird thing about lord of the rings is the best part is before the fellowship even forms at the council

>Never has there been a movie; a trilogy of movies, that has been more Perfectly executed in Scope, Vision, and Passion.
>These Film continue to be the Shining Example of an Epic brought to Film, of such that has yet to be seen on screen again.
jesus the lotr dick sucking on this board has reached whole new levels. either that or you need to watch more films

>never watched the fellowship
>I've watched the other two though

I will pray that this is bait.

yeah rewatching the extended bluray editions after a few years is some epic shit

Good analysis

>that comfy as fuck shire
Gets me everytime

No one involved wanted to do the hobbit, much less a trilogy out of it
Jackson was forced by the studio through legal mumbo jumbo

So the spanish fat fuck ruined everything and threw jackson off

WB executives also didn't seem to grasp what worked about the LotR movies

gib more films then

Best trilogy ever made in terms of sheer enjoyment. They are not high cinema, but for what they are, they hit the mark perfectly.
I am guaranteed to cry at least once every time I rewatch these movies. It's often at different points but I almost always will.
The only problem is that nowadays some of the CGI falls flat, particularly the longer shots.
But that's fine; it's very forgiveable and if you don't let that spoil it for you the movies are some of the best fantasy on screen, period.

Fuck the hobbit tho

What was the deal with Denethor? Did he and none of the guards realise that Faramir was still alive or did he intentionally want to burn him alive?

Calling LOTR "some of the best fantasy on screen" is such a gross understatement.

Denethor saw himself and everyone around him as dead already, and the guards are the typical too-dumb-to-question-orders type

What with how authority worked in this sort of quasi-medievil society, you would never question an order or action that your king gave, unless it was so batshit crazy as to threaten you and your family directly. Maybe not even then.
If you want examples of common footsoldiers and citizens doing retarded shit under orders, look no further than chronicles of Caligula's time ruling ancient Rome as emperor. He ordered people to do the craziest shit, and they had to do it - it's how societies functioned back then.

>Hey guys, light me and my kind of dead son on fire while the city is under siege by orcs

Yes, this and more stupid shit than that are totally believable. In those days your King's word was literally the law, you had to obey it, they hardly comprehended the concept of not obeying a King's orders.

Denethor was a steward, though, but I see your point. They might have noticed Faramir was still alive and just chose not to say anything. It's still pretty dumb.

I'm reading the books again and one of the truly amazing things is how well the writers knew the source material. So many lines are taken directly from the book, but put in different places or spoken by different characters in the movies. A lot of stuff Gandalf says in Moria is actually from when he first visits Frodo to test the Ring in the book. There are things Galadriel says that are given to Treebeard in the movie, and lots of Tom Bombadil's lines made it into the movie prologue. It's staggering.

GRRM is so far ahead of Tolkien its not even funny. His characters are so much more iconic and memorable than the bland ones in lord of the rings. Think of Jon Snow, Daenerys, Jaime Lannister - household names, they all have real in depth character development and the audience feels attached to them. This is no contest against fucking Aragorn and Frodo, and the entire plot of Lord of the Rings is so convoluted and confused that it's not even worth talking about. Whereas GRRM's plot, full of twists and turns, is compelling and engaging. He portrays war so much more realistically, and his story is gritty, human, real, and authentic. He actually draws from real history, and unlike Tolkien doesn't rely on meme languages and """lore""" to make his work great. His work is already great because it stands on its own merits, and his is the story of our generation. It is for this reason that Game of Thrones is the current pinnacle of television, and why ASOIAF is so iconic and beloved, and why its legacy will far outlast Tolkien's.
He isn't the American Tolkien because he is far beyond that level.

Yeah I think you have to suspend your disbelief a little bit for the sake of the drama. I remember that scene creeping the fuck out of me when I was younger though, Denethor's acting is very solid in those couple of scenes.

Im still hoping for another extended edition of the trilogy, maybe a 4K master as well

Fellowship especially has a lot of good cut scenes

I doubt there will ever be a series as perfectly cast as this

An F post. These posts were too good for this place.

Boromir's death is one of my favourite moments of cinema. It's so fucking poignant. You really feel the anguish of the world of men as it seems to come falling around their ears and all hope is centered on this one suicidal party that is now torn to pieces.

After ten years i must say i almost let out a tear at

>You bow to no one

Time for the annual rewatch I suppose.

3-5 years later and I still haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies a second time, I've had absolutely no interest.

I unironically agree with this shitty bait

The problem with the Hobbit movies is that you COULD NOT have liked it in optional conditions

The book was tonally completely different than LotR
People and Warner Bros wanted a repeat of the trilogy with the same tone, but that's not what the Hobbit is.
Even if it was done well, you all and everyone else would have hated it because it was a faithful adaptation.

Game of thrones literally has no plot, it's a neckbeards Chad fantasy made to make money.

why? it's literally all bullshit.

Not sure why you felt the need to post this, almost every user here agrees the LotR trilogy is top three trilogies ever made, including me.

Solid. I'm hungover as fuck, but I watched FotR and haf of TTT last night and god damnit I just can't stop watching these movies. They're my ultimate go to and each time I watch them I glean a little something new. Boromir is indeed a great character. These movies are fantastic in every way. You can watch them and simply enjoy the cinematography and action or you can delve deeper and really wrap your head around exactly what's happening in the grand scheme of things. The very existence of their world and races are in question. Brave men and women are sacrificing everything so that countless others can survive. The relationships and the struggles the Fellowship deal with become so real that it's hard not to get swept up. Boromir's death is such a great example of the depth of the movie. Amazing action scene, but there is so much more behind his death.

Well put. I fucking love these movies and I will never tire of watching them.

I know exactly what you mean in that they are go-to material. If I'm really stumped for something to watch I can do much worse than sticking on one of the extended editions and being comfy for a few hours

This is where I'd reply with an example of bad casting in the movies, but there's literally none.
They even cast heights correctly, they cast gimli as a 6'1" actor (tallest in fellowship iirc) and it was the right call.

Tolkien is to creative literary genius what Martin is to hack pulp idiocy. They both so far surpass anyone else in their field that they will be remembered 1,000 years from now as a kind of yin and yang of fantasy, a Manichean duality of speculative letters. For every sublime, luminous beauty that Tolkien has gifted the world, Martin has cursed us with a tedious, banal ugliness. It is unfair to compare the two directly on any one point, because Martin is in every way the anti-Tolkien, patently sterile, parasitical, and inferior, but so much so that he becomes a monument in his own right, and counterbalances Tolkien. Could one exist without the other? Tolkien obviously could. But it is only by the contrast that Martin offers that we can truly appreciate the full depths and heights of Tolkien. Our understanding of Tolkien would be incomplete if Martin had never set pen to page. It is through only the abject failure and futility of Martin that we can approach an apprehension of the true scope and scale of Tolkien's hitherto inconceivable greatness. Perhaps this is what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about the Music of the Ainur. If Tolkien is a subcreator in the image of Eru, truly Martin is like unto Melkor. It is only reflected in the awfulness of the one that we can fully see the goodness of the other.

Jackson spent years passionately prepping LotR. He was dumped onto the Hobbit after years for studio fuckery with just 6 months to turn in the first movie.

Thank God this movie was made back then and not today. They would have forced niggers and fags into it.

How does Sup Forums feel about Arwen?

Why do film makers think horses are abrams tanks? They would have all died in seconds charging down the causeway packed with heavily armored pikemen. if they could even get the horses to do it.

Elves are for rape.

You are now aware Arwen is a half-orc rape baby.

Well, I can just wear a blindfold and pretend she's someone else.

beregond did exactly this, killing his way through denethors guards to get to faramir but they cut him for gdalf

Wow a thread that is pure reddit with nothing new to say and everything to say thats predictable. Only fellowship is great.

I wonder if anyone did the raceswapping app on the lotr characters before they pulled it

There's lots of got threads up

I'm going to leave this here.

Arwen is nice, but I preferred Eowyn.

The series was perfect except for Legolas and Merry's casting and the comic relief. Still, that's a remarkably small amount of shit to get wrong in such a huge undertaking.

>what the Fuck went wrong with The Hobbit?

Aside from all the production problems, over-use of CGI and change in tone from dark-fantasy to 'light'-fantasy, Im not sure if the Hobbit itself is a good premise for a succesful feature film.

My biggest issue is just with the characters. In LOTR you have a diverse group of characters that are all different but the hobbit you have a big group of dwarves who kinda all act the same, and then you have the actual hobbit Bilbo who for some reason the film barely pays any attention to. Honestly watching these movies there were times I forgot Bilbo was even there. Instead the film focuses on the dwarves and other side characters who just arent very interesting

Not to mention when Aragorn jumps in you get one of the best fantasy sword-fights in a film. Shit was intense, felt so raw and gritty. Totally opposite of what the Hobbit would later become.

>tfw the dagger block was sheer luck
>that head smash

the whole scene of the charge at pelennor fields still gives me shivers

based theoden

>We cannot break the lines of Mordor!
>No, we cannot. But we will meet them in battle nonetheless.
Or Gondor calls for aid. chills.

This, i prefer strong female cutes.

exactly this.

you wanna know why movies like the original two SW, Titanic and Avatar were so well regarded (despite what you may think of them)? Because they, like LOTR, had huuuuuge pre-production planning. Things were decided years in advance. Actors were educated about their roles. Set designers about their worlds. Directors about their vision.

They had time to plan and refine it.

Take Avatar. Most people on this board hate it. It is, in my opinion however, one of the best produced sci fi files to date because of the world it is constructed around, which had been in production for something like 10 years (on and off). Same thing with LOTR. Most studios just won't donate the time and resources to stuff like that.

Tell me you are retarded on purpose

you are retarded on purpose

If this trilogy had been made today, Sup Forums would go nuts over this scene because its "pushing an agenda" and because muh feminism.

Not really, because that scene still happened in the source material. The line was just made cringier.

Yeah it's a work of art, and the casting is perfection.

We are blessed it was made in the few years before the forced diversity meme and the SJW agenda took full control off the movie industry. Made today half the cast would be black or muslim. It would have been garbage.

F

those results are le kino