My ancesters :)

my ancesters :)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash-and-burn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sucks to be you
t. bättrefolk

What was the occupation of the people in this picture?

I unironically think that Finns and Swedes are the same brothers. All Swedes I've met are really nice. Love you my bros

filthy peasant

Finns are mongols from central asia and not germanic

Yet every Swede on Sup Forums believes that thinking anything other than "Finns do not exist and have never existed" is K-A-N-G-Z

Fuck off memer, we have much in common with Sweden. If you believe memes you're stupid. We have no connections with Russia

Better be a Finn/Sami under Swedish than Russian rule.

Karelians are almost extinct btw

Let's be honest, that's most peoples ancestors. At least in Europe. Not kangs n queens.

Finns exist only because we got lucky and managed to dodge assimilation at every turn.
Things were getting bad, bad bad before Ruskies took over. 18% of Finns spoke primarily Swedish in 1800. We could be some total fucking abomination without language, identity and independence now if we had worse luck and being a part of Sweden wouldn't be any better for us psychologically.

I don't. I'm studying archaeology, and I'm extremely interested in the hunter gatherer cultures in current day Finland. the rock paintings, the pottery, the stone structures in ostrobothnia (most notably kierikki): it's all very interesting.

I hope to get to do fieldwork in finland in the future.

pic related: it's a reconstructed "stone age commieblock" in kierikki next to the Yli-li river. during a short time period, the hunter gatherer culture that lived there reached a very high level of social complexity, and began to build much larger settlements than they had before. it's believed that this complexity was triggered because the shoreline temporarily became shorter (following the post-glacial transgression in the baltic sea), forcing more hunter gatherers to form larger communities on smaller areas. the social complexity peaked around 3000-2000BC, and then it disappeared following receding sea levels and the introduction of metalworking. they made some pretty cool pottery, as well.

I really think that we're brothers. Yes, Swedes conquered Finland but culturally we're not different

>What I see is what I believe

They think this was used for storing seal meat around 2000BC. Considering the population size of the time, it's very unlikely they would make something that makes this much work without it having a practical function.

pic related is a typical settlement from that period. what we see is a hill in the middle, surrounded numerous semisubterranean houses. since these houses were dug into the ground, the remains of the pits can still often be seen with the eyes.

on the top of the hill, we see one of the more remarkable elements in this culture: a huge stone monument, which is called "jätinkirkko"(lit: "giant's church") in finnish. many of these monuments are scattered along what was then the shoreline. for a hunter getherer culture, it's really impressive to build such things. in their monumentality, they rival even most bronze and iron age monuments in southern scandinavia.

that's a really beautiful painting
is this style called realism?

probably closer to romanticism. it's mainly supposed to be a nationalistic painting showing how the proud finns endure hardships.

Wtf I hate swedes now

i thought depicting the struggle of the common man was typcial for realism
a romantic picture would portray the ancestors in a more glorified way

it's a thin line, really. basically, it is as you say. but the bourgeouisie also really had a thing for romanticising the plights of peasants. to them, the peasants symbolised a nobler, preindustrial way of life (as opposed to the growing urban proletariat, which symbolised soulless modernism instead).

also, I would argue that they are portrayed in a glorified way. in real life, you never see children in poverty have that "determined" look on their face. it's clearly added to portray them as stronger.

but like I said, I'm not saying you're wrong, but there's clearly other interpretations you can make as well. the established interpretation also seems to be the nationalist one, in this case.

My guess is charcoal makers.

You are a rare type of swede.

It's a farming method.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash-and-burn