Is this any good or is it, you know, Deadwood good?

Is this any good or is it, you know, Deadwood good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nmsVwJZz0lo
youtube.com/watch?v=DPMqmoUwzCc
youtube.com/watch?v=RGYI1UHK5jM
youtube.com/watch?v=QZeRkvvAKhI
youtu.be/QZeRkvvAKhI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What the fuck is "deadwood good"?

I don't know what the fuck Deadwood is, but yes, Rome is good.

It's god tier.

Most of the Romans are San Fransisco cocksuckers

How did we go from this

To this?

Fuck off! Jaime and Bronn did nothing wrong on Dorne, and they do have chemistry

The first season is 10/10. The best historical series ever created. On par with I, Claudius.
The second season is also pretty great, but gets rather rushed at the second half because they needed to put a lot of things there.

Season 1 is very good.
Season 2 is mostly crap.

I still get chills when caesar dies

The silence is devestating

It's not as great as some people claim, people tend to overrate it for being less popular. But it's still very good and worth a watch.

10/10 is pretty extreme. It's a drama, sure, but a lot of the drama is extremely tedious. Like the whole plotline with Vorenus' wife/kid. It had a payoff, I guess, but not a great one - which is another less than amazing part; how it contrives for Pullo and Vorenus to end up in almost every relevant event, even so far as being the reason for why those events transpired the way they did.

It really strains disbelief, and I'm not sure if it was good or bad that the show practically broke the 4th wall to speak directly to the audience to address it, when Caesar refuses to execute them because he recognizes that they're blessed by the gods.

It does get the 'feel' absolutely perfectly though, can't deny that.

It's good. It's okay.

youtube.com/watch?v=nmsVwJZz0lo

>Is there any other form of law, you wretched woman?

Deadwood is shit, user.

spoke like a true pleb

Season 1 was good, but Seasons 2 and 3 were terrible.

It's a solid 8/10. It's like Game of Thrones but more realistic and in Roman times, it has the same quality of production and acting. It also has great research in showing features of Roman life that you'd not expect in a tv series.

>it's like Game of Thrones

>It's like Game of Thrones but more realistic and in Roman times

deadwood was terrible imo, rome's far far better.

It has superior soundtrack

youtube.com/watch?v=DPMqmoUwzCc

Hasn't aged at all. Production values are incredible, costume and set design quality shows throughout. The acting is almost universally stellar (with the possible exception of adult Octavian), and the writing is great. Not amazingly historically accurate in terms of the sequence of events, but it's really authentic and is undoubtedly the best representation of ancient Roman society ever put to film.

Overall 9/10 show.

they basically ran out of money by the last season so they had to rush everything in the storyline. Kinda like GoT is doing right now with the teleporation bullshit

I thought it was because they were told halfway through it would be the last season.

post kino scenes

youtube.com/watch?v=RGYI1UHK5jM

spartacus is shit
Rome is good

>hey David, our series is about to end
>yes David, should we shore more road traveling scenew or more action?
>well some dweebs want more time with characters trapsing around on mud roads

HBO has publicly regretted canceling Rome after DVD sales started rolling in which they did not expect to be so good.

youtube.com/watch?v=QZeRkvvAKhI
>HE REFUSES TO MEET ME!
>kek

both are good
rome is better
rome>got>deadwood

i bought the dvd's and the blu ray
i'll probably buy the next format (if there is one)

What other historical stuff could they really have done with the same cast?

>rome>got>deadwood

>tfw you have to share this board with 'people' like this

Napoleon with caesar actor as napoleon and the same cast

Rome is good, but Deadwood is far better

Rome relies too much on "badass" fight scenes, which is okay, but drags it down a bit when the character drama is the best; except Lucius' family, fuck that
Much preferred the Pompey arc or Marc Anthony's downfall

>HBO announces a Rome reboot
>DnD are the showrunners
How mad would you be?

>relies too much on badass fight scenes
what? there is not many fight scenes. the only memorable ones i can think of is the intro in ep1 and when Titus enters the arena.

>he didn't like vorenus saving pullo from execution.

Are you joking? Pretty much every other scene with Lucius and Titus is a fight scene

its certified kino.nothing else to say

>Rome was white!!!

Rome was better than Deadwood. Deadwood had too much slog (priest, every female character, charlie utter).

>Literally only 2 short battle scenes in season 1

>priest
>slog
Shit fucking taste

one of the best things HBO has ever produced

SIT DOWN

It is an excellent show, why didn't it last longer? Definitely one of my favorites.

Wow, wow, wow, wow, I did not like Deadwood and think it was overrated, and agree with you on every females (except Calamity at her best and the little Hungarian or wherever she was from girl) were boring, angsty and awful, but Charlie Utter was one of the best characters, and the show died with the Priest

>caesar isn't killed by the senate for political reasons
>he is stabbed up by all the stronk women for slapping servilia
>atia is the real power in rome, and antony is her cock slave

juno's cunt

It was expensive and not enough people watched it.

>best historical series ever created
I wish that statement *wasn't* true: the politics of the first Triumvirate had much more potential than Rome S1's well-crafted but streamlined ego-conflict.

Crassus fucking mattered, Caesar's expedition in Gaul should have began, not ended, with S1E1, there are a bunch of major historical inaccuracies - which I don't mind! - so as good as Rome is... it's a low bar.

Rome S1 is for all intents and purposes, the Legio XIII standard of historical drama, but it "deserves" to pass on that mantle soon.

If only all the money that went into GoT and capeshit could come back into this, a similar project, with greater scope and a more comprehensive retelling of the 1st and 2nd Triumvirates.

Also those fucking TITS.

it was just before the Netflix revolution, now with streaming creators don't have to worry as much about "finding" the audience in front of TVs. All the more reason for it to be rebooted/continued.

The reason Gaul was a sideshow and Crassus was skipped is because the whole point of the series was to observe Caesar's role in the fall of the Republic. While the Gallic Wars are great and certainly historically significant, it's quite superfluous if your main aim is to capture the look and feel of Rome itself during this period. I'm glad they kept it relatively confined to Italy (although I wish they'd have included parts of the civil war in Spain)

Vikings and Band of Brothers are both superior historical series.

>The reason Gaul was a sideshow and Crassus was skipped is because the whole point of the series was to observe Caesar's role in the fall of the Republic
Which starts with the constant warring against Roman-allied Gauls and other Roman-proxy Gauls with Caesar as the arbiter of whom would receive support, pissing off the Senate, putting his relationship with Crassus and Pompey to the test, and would have provided time and content for a souring relationship.

If season 1 was all about the breakdown of the First triumvirate, S2 about Caesar's ascension to dictator, and then S3 about the 2nd Triumvirate, the series could have had so much more depth and content

in short, fuck HBO and the BBC especially

It literally is, you autist. Half the fucking team went on to make GoT when they cancelled this show. It's not fantasy and isn't using every popular trope in existence to chase view records like GoT does but that's about it. Large cast, lots of subplots, huge decorations, tons of money, sex, blood, politics. I love rome and don't like GoT too much but they're very, very similar shows in the overall premise and how they approach everything.

>Vikings and Band of Brothers are both superior historical series

I am watching it right now and its great

>it has the same quality of production and acting
But the quality of production and especially the acting in Game of Thrones is mostly shit.

>old HBO made:
>deadwood
>rome
>sopranos
>the wire
>band of brothers
>generation kill

>current hbo makes:
>GoT
>westworld
>vinyl (not anymore lol)
>nothing of value

we got the might eighth coming and true detective is the only current HBO show that is redeemable, especially season 1. 3 may be good

>all these numales not liking Deadwood

THIRTEEN!

Any thoughts on Penny Dreadful?

TRUE ROMAN BREAD FOR TRUE ROMANS!

Deadwood was shit m8

HBO has never made a good show other than The Sopranos.

Half of Rome is good. The half that deal with relevant figures in Roman history. The other half, which deals with the lives of two retired soldiers, is... forgettable.

It's correct though, Rome is on the same tier as Game of Thrones (i.e. shit)
The only good HBO shows are The Sopranos and True Detective S2.

I was honestly surprised something like Carnivale was ever made, to be honest.

fuck you man

the forgettable part is the one to deliver insight into the simple man's daily life in rome. I loved it. The historical part was sloppy on the other hand

Basicaly this, when they were runing that gang in the slums i hated every minute of it.

How could possibly a centurion from the Roman army after the coquest of the new territory be a simple man? They have paycheck, being a centurion in the Roman army was alone a lucrative bussiness(discharge bonus alone was 3,000 denarii), not many live that long, also he had large share of the war booty.

Because it was perfectly normal to serve in the military for a period of years before going back to normal life. Sure, advancing up to centurion meant you were closer to career military but it wasn't like today.

People don't like Deadwood?

Holy shit, how are multiple people hating on Deadwood in this thread? You must be faggots or women.

nigger

They didn't do it well, and every character in that story line was a parody.

S N I V E L R Y

youtu.be/QZeRkvvAKhI

That's just how things were. You usually served for half your life and if you didn't die and your campaigns were successful you enjoyed your fruits of labor the other half of life. You could make investments like buying some farmland, or some small business, and enjoy relatively hassle-free lifestyle (if that word is applicable to that time period), with wife, kids and wine.
What else you expected him to be? There's no reason to serve till your death whatsoever, unless you just gotta feed a lot of relatives or something and paycheck is the only thing keeping them alive, or if you just like that soldier lifestyle (and there isn't a lot to like). Serving for a decade or more usually resulted in accumulating quite a decent sum. And there's barely a reason to serve less, just a single campaign gonna take multiple years just for marching there and back. You either spend half your life being a solder, advancing the ranks and accumulating money (soldier himself barely spends anything while serving, family can be a pain in the ass though), or you don't even touch military, no reason to.
So after the military the family guy got back to his family and even dipped in politics for a bit (being ceasar's right hand and all), and the free-lifestyle guy was free-lifestyling. I'm not quite sure what else you expected of them.

how do you go from this

TO THIS??

TRVE ROMAN DVBS

That gypo puss will fuck a man up

Rome is great. Pullo and Vorenus kick all kinds of shit.

Which was the best episode and why was it Caesarion?
>that ending

I'm a fan of them both but you have to admit Deadwood was far better than Rome

Rome was good enough but UTTER schlock.

>He worships dogs and reptiles! He has blackened his eyes with soot! He dances and plays the cymbals in vile Nilotic rites!

it's all there

HEEEECTOOOR!

>honour the mos maiorum, marry a highborn matrona, participate in respectable Roman orgies weekly, fuck slaves, both boys and girls, on the regular
or
>forsake your ancestor ways, be the pussyslave of a crazy egyptian queen, participate in Egyptian orgies daily (same as the Roman ones but with more beer and less wine), fuck and be fucked by everything you can put your penis in

well, Sup Forums?

goddamn she was such a babe
the best part was when augustus' sister banged him and then realized she was just a whore

TONIGHT WE DIE IN HELL

THIRTEEN!

it's shit but not as bad as borewood

>we will never see him as Euron Greyjoy

The greatest tragedy of our time

>"and finally, the wife of Lucius Vorenus is a whore!"