Bar none the best film i've see this decade

bar none the best film i've see this decade

i know that hyperbolic af with examples such as drive and the social network among plenty others to fight for the throne.

but.

it takes the concept of the recent steve jobs movie (3 key points in a persons life)

but it

>is shot almost flawlessly
>has the cinematic grounds of a classic
>covers brutal themes without hitting you over the head
>has next level acting without making that a focus
>feels like italian neo realism butt fucked (no pun) NWR or Malick
>leaves you with both questions and answers in an unconventional yet heartbreaking ending
>tricked me into believing Miami was LA - which means the location is in itself a character, not just a backdrop, which in turn adds to the brilliance and motifs
>made me cry
>made me laugh
>shocked me
>and tied it all into one little bundle that blew me the fuck away.

I'll get into themes and motifs at a later date but in short this movie ripped my soul out of my chest, spat on it, and threw it to the curb. It's been a long time since that happened, and we've had a plethora of amazing films this decade.

gay niggas LMAO

>you're the only man who's ever touched me

The third part elevated this movie from 6/10 to 9/10

I liked it too.

I've been meaning to re-watch it recently but I don't think I can handle the feels rn ;_;

i agree OP

I kinda had to be forced to sit down for this movie because i thought it was gonna be some dumb gaynigger shit but it definitely affected me

Not sure I would put it at my #1, but it's top 10 in last decade for me.

>>is shot almost flawlessly
Its cinematography is piss poor and feels like a sad attempt at being creative.
>>has the cinematic grounds of a classic
It'll be remembered because of the current SJW culture not because it's particularly good.
>>covers brutal themes without hitting you over the head
Homosexuality is soooo complex. I want to be a gay but also I don't?
>>has next level acting without making that a focus
No one performance impressed me but as a whole it's well acted
>>feels like italian neo realism butt fucked (no pun) NWR or Malick
A glibe facsimile
>>leaves you with both questions and answers in an unconventional yet heartbreaking ending
Standard our story doesn't have an ending so we're just gonna end it here ending.
>>tricked me into believing Miami was LA - which means the location is in itself a character, not just a backdrop, which in turn adds to the brilliance and motifs
Locations are hardly ever characters and saying they're characters shows how plebby you are.
>>made me cry
Not Once
>>made me laugh
Maybe Once
>>shocked me
Nope
>>and tied it all into one little bundle that blew me the fuck away.
It's a fairly standard drama film that got overrated by people who think it's somehow super deep and artsy. Tangerine is a similar film that actually does nearly everything you claim this film toes.

>Tangerine
ENOUGH WITH THE MICHAEL CAINE MEMES.

DUDE WONG KAR WAI RIPOFF LMAO

It's a typical tryhard drama oscarbait. The only distinguishing feature is that it's about gay niggers from outer space, which is the actual reason it got any recognition at all.

It's not "about" that. It's about an outcast searching for his identity.

pretty much

>It's about an outcast searching for his identity.
Yeah his identity as a gay nigger from outer space.

That's not funny.

Alright op since you and several anons all watched and praised it I will check it out
No one or user I cared about watched it and I heard only complaints about Oscar about it if anything

Hope you enjoy it. One thing OP didn't mention is that it has a really good soundtrack.

Wait, what? Was he from outer space? Did I miss that or are you fucking with me?

The part at the end where his car lifted up and flew out of the atmosphere was a little subtle, to be fair.

>A better film would show us rather than tell us. This is bathos.Moonlight’sbest moments come in Little’s reaction to Juan’s affection, but later scenes of Chiron’s erotic confusion and Black’s maudlin self-pity (he wears muscular drag yet succumbs to weakness) insist that viewers feel sorry for black gay males. It’s nothing more than the vivisection of a political demographic.

Armond White is an idiot who pulls out a thesaurus and writes a review for a completely different movie.

The only excuse you have for writing something this awful is if you're not old enough to post here.

This is the kind of movie that made me think "ok, what exactly was the point of this movie" when I finished it. It's just some random scenes from a gay nigger's life. I might just film random shots of a house being built and call it a movie.

but
>was boring af

Ayo Hol Up!
What you sayin`is
We like some kinda
Oscarbait r som shiz?

sheeet

>I might just film random shots of a house being built and call it a movie.
And your name would be Terrence Malick.

>person puts thought into post
>some idiot writes a short quippy post calling them underage, pleb, from "that place", etc.
Every time.

Post your top five films if you want to have a discussion, otherwise get out.

"Oscarbait" is pretty much one of the dumbest terms film critics have come up with, up there with "mansplaining."

Watch more film its a 6/10

No lmao are you a dumb nigger or a retard. Anything thag baits oscars is oscarbait. Like la la land birdnan and this trash and everything that's won best picture recently

Now that's a gay nigger worth tvs love

>it's Oscarbait because it won an Oscar
Do you realize how stupid this sounds? It means you can't talk about a single Oscar-nominated movie without it being called Oscar bait.

Delicious.

The ending was genuinely beautiful even if you don't like cocks. And it sucks that people will think you're baiting if you say you like this better than La La Land because this was a great movie and La La Land was garbage.

Neither was the best movie of the year, tho.

I actually liked La La Land more than Moonlight, though I liked both movies.

What would you say was the best movie of the year?

Maybe not for a gay nigger such as yourself
Watch it yourself dumbshit. It's all a subtle homage to the cult classic

No, it was specifically created to get the most awards with least effort
>muh strong emotional scenes
>muh character drama
>muh social hardships
It's cookie cutter crap. It's just as lifeless and paint by numbers as capeshit. The only reason you feel it's different is because arrogant dunning kruger redditors like you are the fucking target audience.

Thank you for shitting all over this movie before I had a chance to. Moonlight was a tepid bore that didn't tell an interesting story but insisted it was. I could only say that the music was pretty good but the movie beyond that was worthless.
>That scene where he looks like he's going to rob somebody and they instantly cut to the next scene as it's getting interesting
That was absolutely cheap.

Yea, ""clever"" shit like that is what fucking defines oscarbait. It's all so ARTSY and DEEP and SUBVERTS EXPECTATIONS LMAO

Okay, what's an Oscar-winning film that ISN'T Oscar bait, then?

The last movie to win Best Picture which actually deserved it was No Country for Old Men

Damn, that was like ten years ago. Are you sure it's not just, you know, your opinion?

Lord of the Rings.

let's look at the wonderful movies that won since
>The King's Speech
>Slumdog Millionaire
>Moonlight
>The Artist
>Argo
>12 Months a Slave
Not one of those movies have stood the test of time

>le hidden le dude quote
I already had a suspicion I was debating a redditor
>how can you be so sure
It's common sense, really. Of course that once people figure out tricks to game the system to receive awards, said awards will mostly go to films that exploit those tricks.

Ben Affleck is the single greatest actor/director/producer in the last 60 years of film. His non-stop stream of smart and emotionally provocative films prove this. The Town? Classic. Argo? Classic. This man oozes genius out the ass and leaves the steaming pile for consumption by hacks like Paul Anderson and Scorsese. Actors look to him for whatever they need. He's always the first on casting lists for any and all parts. You want a snarky business man? Who else but Affleck. A femme fatale who will do whatever it takes to get the mission done? Affleck. A prominent civil rights leader? Affleck. He passes on a lot of these because he knows what he wants. That's what makes him alpha. He knows exactly where to go and what to do. Damon just rides his coattails. Long live Boston. Long live Affleck.

You forgot to mention he can also literally weaponize autism

Slumdog is still pretty enjoyable

And I'm not a pretentious person who only likes movies because the critics or the Academy praise them, my best of 2017 so far is Ghost in the Shell.

Well, you're entitled to your opinions of the winners, but I don't think anyone can seriously claim that every Oscar NOMINATED film "games the system." And being nominated is still a big deal. There are still plenty of films receiving exposure.

No. But I am saying that there are movies specifically designed with winning a ton of awards and appealing to self-centered arrogant wannabe intellectuals in mind. It's a marketing strategy like any other. And this nigflick is one of them.

the simple fact that the concept of this movie is about a gay nigger's youth in the hood instantly makes it dishonest as fuck.

I was so happy for the protagonist when he manned up and bashed that kid's head in with the chair. I didn't realize how invested I'd become until that point.

This is not an Oscar bait. Stop misusing this term, you idiots.

>This is not an Oscar bait
the only way it would be more oscarbait was if the protag was half jewish

Moonlight is one of the few that feels like it's actually genuine instead of pushing an agenda of some sort.

I LIKED LITERALLY THIS EXACT MOVIE BETTER, WHEN IT WAS SET IN SPACE

This thread is proof you can successfully argue about a movie you've never seen lmao

There is way more repressed homosexuality in black ghettos than you realize.

Yeah no shit, doesn't make the movie any less dishonest.

You just discovered why the oscars are shit and don't matter and aren't awarded by merit
0/9 1/9 2/9 film in the categories actually deserve to be nominated. All the noms are usually overrated garbage and undwrrated films don't win bc they don't get noms even.

People do that all the time. CinemaSins and critics make it easy. I've realized so many times that people haven't actually seen the movie and are just regurgitating the talking points from some well known critic.

>it's dishonest because it portrays something that actually happens
Wut?

You don't understand what Oscar bait means, you moron. Moonlight is a small indie film about gays. It's something that wins Sundance, not Oscars.

Oscar baits are big films. Big budget, historical events and famous actors. Seriously, just shut up, you don't know anything.

And a Holocaust Survivor

Yes?

Nonsense.

Seems reasonable to me. Movies like Moonlight are incredibly shallow and only play on the simplest and most obvious emotions. They're more interested in simplistic emotional manipulation than they are in telling a unique and interesting story.

Oh, so you're just trolling.

No it's just your post was fucking retarded.

>he considers Tangerine a better film than Moonlight
>dude gay niggers lmao, but I do wanna suck tranny cock
>Moonlight's cinematography is shit, but I enjoy the movie shot on a fucking telephone

Have you really seen the movie? Because you don't describe it like someone who has. Tell me something that you'd only know from having seen it.

And now you're doubling down on the trolling.

>A study by Gabriel Rossman and Oliver Schilke, two sociologists at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), reviewed data from the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), such as genres and plot keywords, for 3,000 movies released between 1985 and 2009 to see what elements were likeliest to draw Oscar nominations. The researchers found that war movies, historical epics, and biographies earned the most. Plot elements of political intrigue, disabilities, war crimes and show business were also very common element of nominated films. A release during Oscar season, or by an independent division of a major studio were also strong indicators.[16][17] The study found that some keywords had a strongly negative correlation with Oscar nominations, such as "zombie", "breast implant" and "black independent film".[9]

>hurr a film can't be dishonest if it actually happens
you realize how fucking retarded this sounds right, cunt?

You are probably an amerifat who can't read subtitles, why should anyone care about your taste?

Moonlight is a great movie though

...It doesn't though. Honesty means telling the truth.

Shittiest gay flick ever. Not even gay either. It's just nignog family problems that are dime a dozen.

>2009
you're an idiot

Nope

>bar none the best film i've see this decade

>The study found that some keywords had a strongly negative correlation with Oscar nominations, such as "zombie", "breast implant" and "black independent film".
BTFO

You are clueless.

What part made you Laugh???

What's the best gay film ever, since you word it like you've seen a lot?

And you are addicted to trolling because you prefer to talk in circles instead of explaining your opinion (because you don't actually have an opinion).

>i know that hyperbolic af with examples such as drive and the social network

If you think Drive, The Social Network or Moonlight are anywhere close to the best films of the decade you need to either stop watching garbage or accept that you're a simpleton and stick to capeshit.

Nah I just don't think clueless retards are worth conversing with seriously

>This movie would have no chance of winning an Oscar less anytime in the last 80 years because of the type of production it is
>Five years ago it would be considered the opposite of Oscar bait
>It's Oscar bait in 2016 because muh WE WUZ GAY NIGGER LMAOOO

Actually watch the movie or kys

There are no truly great films where homosexuality is important to the plot or primary themes.

Because you are a troll who doesn't actually want to talk to anyone. Talking to you is like wringing water out of a rock.

>what is Happy together and Beau travail

They're good flicks bront

for this decade, it's blue is the warmest kino

2009 was not 5 years ago idiot, and yes in the 2010's a film about a black gay youth in the ghetto is the closest you can get to the holocaust in being oscarbait.

>t. garbageman

YFW you realize that also includes the time he got beat up by him.

lets be honest everything you're talking about applies almost exclusively to the middle section.
The first act of the film is straight up boring with none of the artistic flair and brilliant camera work that made the next two stand out. Without Mehershala's acting there would be absolulutely nothing of value to the first third of the film.
Second act left me speechless though. It was truly fantastic.

How many films like that were nominated for the Oscars in 2010s?