Are we italians the only retards who study latin and ancient greek in high school?

Are we italians the only retards who study latin and ancient greek in high school?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3Byl2WG0Fks
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

italian girls have the smelliest feet

>feet shaped country

I did study latin in highschool

I know that American high schools, even the rich ones, don't offer latin or greek as classes. Why waste your time on a dead language?

Studying latin is very handy if you plan on studying in any form of Physiology, Medicine ,or Chemistry since all the names are in latin, it would help you study things quickly since the names literally just describe what's what without you having to read about the intricacies of each thing

No, we learned Latin too but I think it's just my state

t. lingue classichelet

No we learned it too. I learned French and Spanish(obviously English as well) too because I went to a language school, but Latin is offered at every single high school. It's pretty useful for learning anything related to medicine and science in general.

There are still some that teach Latin and/or Greek, but sadly it's died off. When my grandparents went to school it was commonly offered, but high schools today don't give a shit encouraging literacy or culture.

Yeah I mean it's not like those languages are particularly influential or anything. Learning a language is healthy full stop.

is it common in spain to teach latin in schools?
it's because it's our heritage. We study latin literature too.
Bavaria?

we only study Latin because WE

I studied latin

Don't some Ivy league schools still have latin?

You can take Latin at pretty much any college in America, but it's very rare in high school.

Saarland. Maybe Bavaria too tough, because

Do you pronounce it like italian? my teacher was a priest and he used the Vatican standar that is italian pronunciation, but some study the classical way
Caesar sounded like "Keasar", similar to Kaiser

I think Latin and Greek are still pretty commonly taught at the university level. Basically any university with a classics department will offer them.

Not OP, but we learnt the restituta (kaesar, kikero, and so on). It's actually how they used to pronounce it

I think classical pronunciation is more common among hardcore academics, but the prof at my uni pronounces it the italianate way because his specialty is the middle ages, he studies a lot of latin texts from the middle ages, and that's how they pronounced things

latin was a foreign language option at my high school.

nah, its also common here, they are taught in high school if you choose the branch of humanities

or at least it was an option a few years ago, not sure now

>is it common in spain to teach latin in schools?
I'm not sure if it's a compulsory subject, but in my high school you had to take it if you wanted to go through the "university itinerary"

knowing many languages makes you MUCH smarter
so, you are not retards
probably you as OP is

We used the ecclesial latin pronunciation. Fun fact: mass in italy was in latin until the mid 60s

Do you learn about Church Slavonic in school?

this guy knows what's up. Latin is the lingua franca for medical doctors. if you say carcinoma, every doctor in the world knows you're talking about a cancer growth because they all know Latin

Mass everywhere was Latin until the mid-60s. Technically mass is still supposed to have a place of honour in all masses even today, but most ordinary masses have little to no Latin. Latin mas in old form are still celebrated and have become more popular over the last 10 years or so (Pope Benedict XVI released a document in 2007 unambiguously allowing the old form of the mass to be celebrated without exception), and some places do celebrate the new form of the mass in Latin as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=3Byl2WG0Fks

Technically Latin is*

>Yeah I mean it's not like those languages are particularly influential or anything.
Spanish and French (taught at pretty much every American HS) are much more valuable. Obviously they're based on latin, but if you go to Spain/France/Latin America/Africa and try to speak Latin nobody is going to understand you. You speak Spanish or French you might actually get somewhere.

>it's because it's our heritage. We study latin literature too.
Fair enough. It makes perfect sense for Italians and really most Europeans to study latin. But it's not the same for the rest of us.

>Spanish and French (taught at pretty much every American HS) are much more valuable.

They're more practically useful, that's not the same thing. Every aspect of education doesn't need to be practical.

Only if you go the humanities way.

Most of American mottos are Latin, half your country follows a Roman religion, and Roman law constitutes most of the foundation of American law. I'd say it's very much part of your heritage as well.

Some Americans do.

are you the albanian or romanian?

Latin is world heritage. A huge chunk of every relevant document between the fall of Rome and the rise of nationalism in the 1700s was written in Latin, because of the Catholic Church and colonialism it has a global impact. Greek is similar because the Greeks started everything.

Subhuman fetish

My school forced us to take 3 years of Latin in middle school/high school. Biggest waste of time ever.

I learned some Latin in high school, it was one of my favorite classes. Unfortunately there wasn't enough demand from the incoming classes so it got dropped (the same thing happened to the French class I was in before) and I got forced into Sp*nish to graduate.

You are the most based Europeans by far.

It's part of our heritage but not in the same sense. A bunch of Anglo-Saxons colonists with a boner for roman architecture and made our motto "e pluribus unum" is not the same as a tangible connection to Roman times. Your country and many other western/southern European countries were ruled by Romans for longer than the USA has existed, you have cities which were founded by the Romans, and in many of those cities the original roman architecture is still standing in one way or another.

>half your country follows a Roman religion

Sure, the same way that Buddhist countries like Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos technically follow follow an Northern Indian religion. How many of them speak Sanksrit?

Here it's Russian or French as 3rd language

*technically follow follow

Should just say "technically follow". Sorry.

Simply beautiful. I hope more and more the Ordinary Form dies and the Extraordinary Form to take its place.

No, we do too but only humanity courses. Science and economy don't have to be bothered with that.

All of your relevant Founding Fathers had a good knowledge of the classics and of Latin and Greek, it's not the same thing.

Ossi?
It's German -> French (3rd-12th grade) -> English+Latin(6th-12th). You can also replace French for Spanish in 6th grade

>dat german accent
This is hilarious

No, and you are right to do this. Latin and Greek are the basis of the Western civilisation. Studying their languages and cultures is far from retarded.

A government saying It's useless to learn it (like France, Fuck you politicshits), THIS is retarded.

I'd be content if they just stopped with shitty music and started singing Latin hymns regularly again.

Nope, I studied latin when in med school

here is no good literature/science/philosophy works on it
it was mainly ceremonial language

I was so sure you frenchies would at least study latin. Spain beat you in that regard.

We do study Latin and ancient Greek, but recently recently gov said that it was "useless" to learn dead languages instead of "usefull" languages (English, Mandarin...Etc.).
What an intelligent speach from them.

So some schools don't teach ancient laguages anymore, and this is just stupid. We got "debates" about learning or not our own history basically.
What a time to be alive.

>:(

Echt?
Also ihr habt mehr Französisch als Englisch?

Hier ist es
German -> English (3rd-infinity) -> Russian or French (5th-12th)

Saxon btw

What about italian? Is if offered in some schools?
insane.

Jau, haben auch ein halbes Jahr Austauschprogramm mit den Franzacken. Russisch ist nice, hätte ich wahrscheinlich auch gewählt wenns zur Auswahl gestanden hätte.

Lol never had brown or black girls

Darker n hairer people haveiee sweat glands.
Byt asians have the least