Rey

Why don't people like her and how can Disney fix that?

What did Wonder Woman do right that the Force Awakens did wrong in regards to its female protagonist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pszDixb_ZqQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

character development is one of them

>What did Wonder Woman do right that the Force Awakens did wrong in regards to its female protagonist?

Sympathize with Diana and didn't let her go "I can take care of myself!!".

>What did Wonder Woman do right that the Force Awakens did wrong in regards to its female protagonist?
Chris Pine was the love interest.

Disney won't do anything. Most people love Rey and it's BECAUSE she's a shitty character. Mary Sue feminist icons are in right now

Luke knockoff but better in every way.
You can smell the entitlement of the target audience a mile away.

To quote Mr Plinkett

"WHY DOSEN'T ANYONE WANNA FUCK ANYONE?"

I think one of the major differences were love.

Wait, is this real? Is this the new outfit she has? Movie will be shit but that's aesthetic as fuck.

Was wonder woman actually good? The one consistently good thing I keep hearing is that the love interest/love story was great. Pretty much a better version of captain America and peggy. Can anyone confirm?

They cut all the scenes about her character flaws.
it was clear from her early scenes that she was intended to be full of hubris, stubborn, abrasive and arrogant, but someone had the pay off scenes cut, so she looks like a colossal Sue.

It would be easy to Blame Kennedy for this, so that's precicely what I'll do.

>Why don't people like her and how can Disney fix that?

She is universally beloved outside of Sup Forums you basement dweller

user, honest trailers even called her a Mary Sue.
They're about the biggest plebs pretending to be edgy on the internet.

She's a mary sue.

Its retarded just like you cunt.

but, MUH STARWARS.
Reminder that they are planning a Jabba the hutt movie spinoff.

LOOK AT THE TOP OF HER HEAD!!!

Surely the new Ewoks will make people love her

youtu.be/pszDixb_ZqQ

>Do you like Rey in Star Wars
meh, she's fine

>Do you like Finn in Star Wars
meh, he's fine

is the opinion of the vast vast majority of people

Wonder woman got the best love interest and romance of any capeshit easily but thats because her boyfriend is pretty much a co protagonist instead of a random poor developed character to complete the generic formula like MCU always do.

Because kids don't care about Star Wars in the 2010's

They have the Avengers, Marvel, Disney, Video games...

Star Wars OT was amazing because there was nothing else like it. Nu Star Wars is just more of the same and is only hyped by the previous generations.

Permit me to speak as a fa/tg/uy for a moment.

Imagine the events of Episode IV are part of a RPG campaign module.
A New Hope is a game that features a well balanced party of adventurers. Luke, Han, Chewie, Obi Wan, Leia, R2, 3pO. They generally fit into archetypical roles like rogue, wizard, fighter, cleric, etc. More importantly, they compliment each others' skills and abilities and function as a team. They're all at different power levels, but each one is important, so much so that if any had been missing, their quest would have failed. The unseen GM of A New Hope matches the players against enemies and situations that challenge them, and does a good job of keeping stakes high and the events moving forward. The game is exciting, players are invested, and at the end, the victory feels earned and everyone feels like they contributed something to the campaign.

The Force Awakens is the same module played by a party that includes the GM's girlfriend.

>how can Disney fix that?
By becoming Felicity Jones

She's not Jyn or played by Felicity Jones, so there's no hope for Rey or Daisy.

This post failed on every level.

please critique in a constructive way

lol this

she's one of the few things people actually like about tfa

Wondie didn't know everything and one-up everyone in every situation she was a naive fish out of water making comical mistakes and learning new things while also still being able to fuck people's shit in because she's a superhuman Chosen One whereas Rey basically doesn't do any of that except fuck people's shit in because she's the Chosen One but that isn't indicated so instead she's just a remarkably omnicompetent normal person who seems overwritten because they didn't give their master of all domains character that special "out" to excuse their dominance.

you and I both know you don't believe that user

Why is she wearing a painting?

Because.

How can anyone defend this?

Kill yourself.

>Rey being interrogated
>her powers start going off like crazy and she doesn't understand what's going on, can be felt through the whole station as she gets more and more upset and scared
>Han, Chewie, and Finn find her by moving towards where the vibrations are coming from

Scene fixed. Rey gets to uncover her Force powers, the peanut gallery going in there to save her isn't pointless, Rey gets a human moment, Kylo can even get accidentally btfo by the feedback, etc

Diana's way more sympathetic and likeable than Rey is. She's cleary strong and capable but the movie doesn't beat us over the head with it nor feels like it has to demean the male lead in order to drive home how strong the female protagonist is.

The dynamic between Diana and Steve is more balanced than Rey and Finn. What does it say that Wonder Woman was directed by a woman and TFA was directed by a man?

>muh damsel in distress trope
Fuck off, idiot. YOu bitch about formulaic movies and when star wars FINALLY bucks the trend where she can save herself YOU BITCH ABOUT THAT TO

That's wicked dumb.

They could have just had her learn through time and desperation how to unlock the restraints with the force, and then sucker-punch the guard.

Not perfect, but way more believable, and without some "my power level rocks the station" bullshit.

>What does it say that Wonder Woman was directed by a woman and TFA was directed by a man?

Women are talented writers now, deal with it.

No they wanted to show that she's a Force Demi-God and that serves the purpose while also giving her some human form of emotion.

I like the porg and I also feel is if they will have more character depth than the rest of the cast. They also look cuddly

This needs to be screenshotted and reposted in every TFA thread. Excellent way to put it, user.

In addressing the article, why is this news? If I had a production team, where 70% of my employees ate shellfish, it wouldn't really be headline worthy; what do the chromosomes of the crew matter?

Second
>JJ Abrams
>man
Pick one

i like her

No one cares, samefag

I always find it odd how those who hate Rey never seem to loathe Darth Vader quite as fucking much, even though his character was basically "oh he's a force god? i guess? midi-chlorians :)"

>but muh flaws
Face it, if Rey had been as flawed as everyone seems to expect her to be, you'd all be out here calling her a bitch. There isn't any way to win. Plenty of heroes of plenty of franchises are highly skilled with no explanation, and nobody kicks up much of a fuss. At least Rey has it better than most, wherein her skills are at least somewhat logical - her ability to pilot ships comes from a lifetime of working with them, her ability to fight comes from a lifetime of fending off hostiles on her harsh homeworld, she grew up hearing stories about Luke Skywalker and his abilities - when she discovers she's Force sensitive, she merely replicates what she knows. What she's seen Kylo do, even. And so on.

Speaking of Luke Skywalker, he isn't exactly a flawed individual but he turns out to be a Force god with amazing piloting skills when there's absolutely no basis for the latter. Hope you all hate him too.

Everyone loves her

Not sure why some don't like Rey, but I think the best part of Wonder Woman was the dynamic between her and Chris Pine.

WW was naive, but principled. Chris Pine was savvy but ended up doing more good with WW there to put him on the more heroic path. They both learned and changed from eachother in a positive way, making them both flawed with room to grow in some respects, but heros in others.

It wasn't a fake arbitrary flaw like say Marty McFly always doing dumb shit when somebody calls him chicken. They had flaws that were natural results of the premise of the movie and relevant to the plot.

>The Force Awakens is the same module played by a party that includes the GM's girlfriend.
kek

I believe the only way to save Rey is to make her a villain

Luke took 3 movies to become a Jedi skilled enough to take on the Dark Side and he's canon strongest Jedi who ever existed. Rey had no troubles with anything at all. Everyone liked her, she figured things out immediately like how to fly the falcon, and even used the mind trick, despite having no prior training.

How do they fix her? they literally can't unless they start all over again. Her Mary Sue damage has been done and knowing Disney it won't stop.

>canon strongest Jedi
>lost every fight and only survived Sheev because of Vader's change of heart

WW actually had heroic qualities that were admirable.

Rey represents the typical self-entitled millenial mindset of "I'm good at a lot of things, I've been in a lot of places, people SHOULD love me" where achievements are measured in kikebook likes.

As much as Sup Forums hates it Star Wars is more than just the movies. Also Luke set up the plan to rescue Han and took down Vader with little effort.

It's important for a character to experience struggle and hardship so that the audience can better relate to them and celebrate their victories.

She needs to lose something personal. Not some random guy she just met.

Also, it's kinda late, but they fucked up by making her more naturally gifted with the Force than anyone we've ever seen. I don't know how they can fix that except to maybe explain that she was trained as a child but forgot her past or something.

Yes, in the third movie, after almost an entire movie spent training.

In the first movie he didn't do jack shit except for drop a bomb into an exhaust port, and that was built up to as a payoff to his expertise at killing sand rats or whatever.

The ships thing is fine. The force powers and making friends with Han and Leia is bs. Kenobi was a jedi master and his mind trick thing was always hinted to be some high level spell. She just uses it all of a sudden? I don't even think that's physically possible in old canon. I mean it's a "mind trick" it probably required a bit of force control and practice to get it right no matter how in tune with the force you are.

Off the top of my head, problems with Rey:
>of all the things in the literal galaxy to run into she just happened to find the Millenium Falcon?
>Lack of any fucking training at all
>Her first cast is a high level spell, no starting with lifting objects or anything, just straight to the mind control
>Undeserved friendliness between her and the old crew. "Look all the old and new characters are friends with each other, are you happy goy"
>Leia goes straight to hug her at the end

>still no daisy panty scenes/photoshoots
why! not even a swim suit wtf

Fucked up that was for but nevermind.

That's what I said user. Luke had to train his ass off to get gud but Rey does it as a hobby.

>I don't know how they can fix that except to maybe explain that she was trained as a child but forgot her past or something

I think that would be worse because then she would basically be a female Revan and that would cause one hell of a storm of shit.

this if they want men to like daisy give us some underwear footage

Rey is supposed to be the underdog while Wonder Woman is supposed to be the overdog. Rey didn't know anything about the Force and yet after a couple days she could beat Ren who's been trained by not one but 2 Jedi masters. So she comes off as more of a mary sue. Wonder Woman's strength was never in question. She's a amazon warrior naturally more powerful than any normal human. The fact that she still fights for normal humans is inspiring. But her journey was one of discovery. Learning that the world isn't as black and white like she thought. That's why we don't give her shit for being powerful because for her it's not about gaining power but what she does with it

I want to fuck that bunny.

Don't say such things.

What she found out about the force a day or two before?

Well said.

This here pretty much covers it.

Sorta related, but is Han Solo ACTUALLY a good smuggler?

I don't think he is. All we knew is that he has the Falcon, which is very fast, he had those secret storage compartments, he dropped a shipment and ran from the Empire, shot some alien, fired like 1 shot during the Trench Run, flew into a giant asteroid worm's mouth, got caught and frozen in carbonite, got caught but luckily saved during a jungle moon attack, and kissed a princess.

Everyone AROUND Han seems to be capable of something, but he's just kinda there and occasionally helps.

Is he ACTUALLY any good at his chosen profession?

>Leia goes straight to hug her at the end

that made me so mad. Not in a raging neckbeard way but more in a "this makes no sense" way.

Also knowing the millenium falcon better than han solo.

Keep in mind that there's very, very little set in stone now after the great canon cull of 2014. Perhaps now it's possible for an individual who's Force sensitive to be a natural with certain aspects and not others, which would explain away why Rey managed the "mind trick," but still has to hone her Force abilities in general. Or... something. There's any number of acceptable ways that it could be explained, and as of right now, I don't believe there's anything currently canon that would contradict an explanation like that. She may be able to use the Force as is, and managed to use it in such a way as to be beneficial, but she's far from a master of it. It just comes naturally to her - like it came naturally to Anakin. The difference is that Anakin was trained by the Jedi order from a young age, so we never got to see if those abilities would've surfaced on his own terms when he was Rey's age. And... age aside, she was in a very unique situation too.

I do understand the issues you mention with the old crew, in particular the hug from Leia. Whilst it was a lovely moment, it would've made far more sense for Chewbacca to get that hug. However, that's... not a problem with Rey as a character, per se. That's a problem with how other characters were written in relation to her. By which I mean: if you isolated Rey and had to point out her flaws, that obviously wouldn't count because it covers something that occurs in the bigger picture and is representative of flaws with how other characters were written too.

As for the Millenium Falcon stuff... that's not a problem with her character. It's a problem with the story overall. But given the themes of destiny in Star Wars, are you really fucking surprised by such a convenient coincidence?

Honestly, I would only truly understand the outright hatred for Rey and her Mary Sue tendencies if the same people also hated Luke and Vader for similar reasons. But they don't.

It's KK and her story group (which is full of women).

One of them said they outright saw Rey in herself when writing the character.

I don't like the actress, she can't act and doesn't deserve to be in Star Wars.
>inb4 star wars always had bad actors
Not this kind of bad.
I also don't like how she's so over powered, compared to Luke who was just clueless and lucky in his first movie.

wonder woman was an actual god so her mary sue powers were at least believable

Is Han Solo actually good at anything?
>cracks under the slightest pressure on the death star's prison
>is johnny-come-lately at battle of yavin, stealing glory
>cant even properly service and maintain the falcon in esb
>is easily duped and misled by lando and the empire
>can barely protect his waifu on endor

Outside of the Falcon stuff, he doesn't seem remarkable in anyway. Lando is as good, if not better, a pilot. And Mary Rey Sue is even better than either.

Seems like Han is just a jobber on all levels.

Gal a cute, Daisy a shit

Mara Jade canon for when?
Or she is too hot and heterosexual for Disney?

>The Force Awakens is the same module played by a party that includes the GM's girlfriend.

10/10

Seen the exact same thing happen in actual pen and paper.

>perfect character
>no one else is needed
>everyone lets her do it because she has a vagina

Fellow fa/tg/uy here. I liked TFA quite a bit but I still think you hit the nail on the head in terms of its problems.

>Fellow fa/tg/uy here
>I like TFA quite a bit
Disgusting.

>Mara Jade re-cannonized when?
>Or she is too hot and heterosexual for Disney?

Luke can't be gay with a red hot hottie assassin force user trying to kill him/get the D. So never.

God I hate this.
In my current game going, the girl is the DM's gf, and she has the most OP stats and gear and loot, and he keeps giving her shit to the point she is beyond overpowered.

Daisy isn't that attractive. Film is almost exactly the same as Episode IV. Rey somehow has the force and can use it instantly. Rey has Mary Sue Syndrome. Too many feminist moments. Daisy Ridley also can't act. (Seriously if the lead can't act, nor looks hot, you're fucked)

Disney fucked up and have already noticed NO ONE is buying Rey dolls, they requested more Kylo Ren for episode VIII and IX due to this. (confirmed)

They are probably going to rewrite IX to write her out more.

>hey requested more Kylo Ren for episode VIII and IX due to this. (confirmed)
where was this confirmed?

disney can make the male character male and also the nigger side character

I like her in the move but she just looks terrible in all the promo art and shit

Like all Disney movies, she's a Mary Sue with absolutely no character development.

Imagine stating Rey as a Player Character
>Strength: enough to overpower two thugs and later, Kylo Ren
>Dexterity: enough to bullsye stormtroopers with a blaster at range (no training), pilot the falcon like an ace (no training and a two-person job), sword fight and defeat a skilled opponent (no training), and climb/rappel with ease
>Constitution: enough to resist mental torture, enough to recover from physical damage due to being Force-thrown into a tree
>Intelligence: enough to be able to repair and modify the Falcon on the fly, speak several languages (wookie, droid, scavenger)
>Wisdom: enough street smarts to survive as an orphan scavenger on wasteland planet, enough intuition and awareness to naturally use the Force (with no training)
>Charisma: enough to be admired and desired by ever character she meets (BB8, Finn, Han, Chewie, Kylo, Snoke, Leia)

Toss in a legacy weapon (Luke's light saber) and boom, you've got a well balanced 1st level Rogue Fighter Wizard Monk.

>Wizard
You mean Sorceress, right?

>You mean Sorceress, right?
Wizard, sorceress, monk, paladin, cleric, I don't know how to translate "Jedi" into D&D-speak, but you get what I mean.

Put more effort into your bait next time

>DM's gf's character

It all makes sense now.

Dude, fuck you.

The Jabba the Hutt standalone is the only one that actually sounds good.

Everyone loves her as far as I've known

That's an accurate description of Rey, for sure.

Sorry but I have to rant this.
The chick in my campaign is a rogue with 20 dexterity, yet somehow has more charisma than the sorcerer or warlock in our campaign, has a magical sword that does +4 to hit and +11 to attack, and wears magical armour, giving her more AC than the paladin wearing heavy chain mail, and advantage to stealth.
She's basically immortal at this point. Everyone else has fallen unconscious a handful of time this campaign, except her. Because if the fight gets tough, all she does is stealth away and keep letting us tank hits until we die.

Sorry, that's enough from me. Felt good though.

>write a rescue mission for her
>for some reason you can't just let her get rescued

>In the first movie he didn't do jack shit except for drop a bomb into an exhaust port, and that was built up to as a payoff to his expertise at killing sand rats or whatever.
Lol no he shuts off his targeting computer and closes his eyes as Obi-Wan tells him to "use the Force" as the Force music plays. Literally the only training he had was that scene with the training remote on the Falcon and he can use the Force to blow up the Death Star with his eyes closed when the fucking leader of Red Squadron couldn't make the shot ("It didn't go in. Just impacted on the surface.")

>big forehead
>shark teeth
>little beady eyes
>manjaw
>the physique of a little boy
>can't act

Neither of these anons.
Jedi is remarkably difficult to translate to D&D; it's sorta divine and mystical, is used by monk-like dudes, isn't a series of spells but has a codified group of techniques, requires training and study, but also requires natural tendency towards it and strength of will.

But the way Rey uses it only involves that last one. This is most similar to Sorcerer, as they are basically dudes who have no idea what they're doing, having studied nothing, but are so naturally magically powerful that they stay on-par with real wizards.