Japanese
>Chinese is harder
False, takes just as long to learn Japanese

>False
It's a tonal language. It's way more complicated than Japanese, dude

yeah this
FUCK viet and FUCK chink

tones aren't that difficult if you don't have a tin ear

According to the FSI, Japanese is even a little harder than the other "Category III" languages, which include Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese Chinese but also Korean and Standard Arabic.

>According to the FSI
and who the fuck are those??

Learn chink at your own risk

It's hard to believe.
If we leave beside the writing system, the non-tonal Japanese is way more simple to learn and pronounce than Chinese.
You can learn Japanese almost without even heard a word, but It's impossible in Mandarin, since all the words have their specific sound.

Agree, but It's still more difficult to learn compared to Jap

>It's hard to believe.
of course it is.

This. Pick the one that you -want- to learn. Because here's the deal:

If you love learning Chinese, you're going to be putting in the effort to speak correctly and to be completely literate. You will be commended for your efforts and will be taken seriously.
If you hate learning Chinese, you're going to not want to put in the effort towards learning tones, which will make you sound like an incomprehensible retard.

If you love learning Japanese, you'll be putting in the effort to speak using good grammar and to recognzie kanji. You will be elevated above other weebs whose vocabulary only stems from anime and video games.
If you hate learning Japanese, you're not going to want to learn the grammar and you're going to come across as yet another dumbass gaijin.

Pick the language that -you- will enjoy learning. Pick the one that will feel rewarding to learn every time you sit down and review it.

state.gov/m/fsi/
livelingua.com/fsi-language-courses.php
fsi-language-courses.net/

Recently they moved French from "Category I, 24 weeks" to "Category I (French), 30 weeks" and German from "Category II (German), 30 weeks" to "Category II (German, Indonesian, Malay, and Swahili.), 36 weeks"
oig.state.gov/system/files/209366.pdf

they're nobodies, you could have spared me the (You)

learn anime

If you love Japan you should learn Japanese

What do you want to do with your newfound Japanese knowledge? Watch Yuru Yuri without subs?

Do you love Japan

日本を大好きです!

Why not both?

Learn Chinese. You’ll be able to read Japanese as a bonus, and far more people speak the language

thank you

Cantonese is the real redpill

Pu-Xian Chinese is the real redpill

Never ask people which language you should learn. You already know the best. If you are learning because you have a specific hobby (literature, anime, movie, etc) then you know exactly which one you should. If you are learning to increase job opportunity, ask yourself if you want to work with Chinese/Japanese/French etc.

People who ask for advice on things like this are always disappointed.

It's easier for Chinese people to learn English than for non-Chinese to learn Mandarin. Why bother?