My interest in film bloomed with Dunkirk...

My interest in film bloomed with Dunkirk, which absolutely blew me away just recently when I experienced it at a theater.

I have liked films before and I find cinema to be very interesting as an art. I love music, and Zimmer's composition was absolutely rich and compelling, just as the visuals were...

I'd like to find more films that I would enjoy but don't know where to start. Are there any sources or films that you all would recommend? How do I really get into cinema?

If you're a completely entry level casual then there is a long way ahead of you.
First you have to figure out what your taste is exactly, which films you genuinely like and to know why do you like them.

I'll just recommend Das Boot for starters because it's also a ww2 film that deals with suspensful tense situations and also has great sound design just like Dunkirk, but it's all set in a german submarine.
Also here are a few Sup Forums essentials which I would basically recommend to anyone
>The Hunt
>The Vanishing (Spoorloos)
>No Country for Old Men
>Drive
>12 Angry Men
>Wake in Fright
>Master and Commander
>Memories of Murder
>Threads
>Heat
>Lawrence of Arabia
>American Psycho
>The Thing

I'm definitely at entry-level status. Infinite thanks for the recommendations, I'll be sure to check them all out.

Does Sup Forums use particular resources for finding films similar to those that they enjoy? I'm a Sup Forums regular and I know they like to use a few.

There are quite a lot of ways but your main resource should be you and your acquired knowledge and taste.
Expore film just like you explore music. If you like a certain film, check out the other films from the director of that film. And if you like all of his films, then check out his entire filmography, ideally chronologically.
Just like you find an album from a band and then check the rest from that same band.

Or if you like a certain aspect from a certain movie, then check out who worked on the execution of that filmmaking element. If you liked the visuals see who was the cinematographer of that film, if you liked the soundtrack ofcourse see who did the soundtrack, same with actors etc.
You could also expore it by periods (the 70s are pretty much universally called the best film period, again depends on the taste of the viewer) or by specific waves in filmmaking or genres.

I can link you a few youtube channels if you're interested in understanding films and filmmaking a bit more too if you're interested.

Remember when I said Baby Driver gave me an adrenaline rush like I had never experienced from a movie before?

Well the adrenaline rush I got from that film PALES in comparison to the rush I just experienced during the entirety of Dunkirk.

Dunkirk is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. The wonder, the scope, and the magnitude contained in this film is something I've never experienced before. I teared up a few times because of how overwhelmed I was. Between the score and what was happening on screen, I was at a total loss. Hans Zimmer has really outdone himself. The score is nothing short of phenomenal.

Watching Dunkirk is perhaps the most visceral viewing experience I've ever had. It's some of the most masterful filmmaking ever; period, point blank, end of story. Visual story telling at it's finest. In a way, it's a silent film with a booming score. There is dialogue, but the speaking is minimal through out the movie. Most of the time we just hear the score, bullets flying, airplanes zooming through the air, and bombs being dropped.

I've seen a few people (word to Jeremy Jahns) complain about there not being a main character or they don't give us enough background information to feel for these characters. That isn't the point of this movie!! YOU, the audience member is the main character. The purpose of this movie is to immerse the viewer into this situation. Nolan created this film so the audience could experience the event of Dunkirk. We are supposed to put ourselves in the shoes of these soldiers. We are supposed to be in the platoon with Harry Styles. We are supposed to be in the fighter planes with Tom Hardy. If I'm in a boat getting bombed, am I going to ask a bunch of questions to other soldiers about their personal life? Fuck no I'm not! I'm trying to survive not learn your life story!

I'm so shook right now. I'm not even sure if I can drive home right now. Saying this movie is epic would be totally underselling it.

That's true, I'll probably find a lot of parallels in the methods of discovering film. I appreciate your insight greatly and I'm eager my first steps with the help of your in-depth recommendations and advice, it seems like it'd be very rewarding to find more films on my own.

I'm definitely interested in any YouTube channel or resource that would help me along my way. Thanks a ton

No problem my dude, happy to help.
Here are some decent youtube channels for you to start out:
>Cinematography Database
>Every Frame a Painting
>DSLRguide
>Film Riot
>DP/30: The Oral History Of Hollywood
>RedLetterMedia for the memes (this channel is basically the Fantano of Sup Forums)

There are also quite a few channels like Nerdwriter1 and Channel Criswell, but I find their content too pseudo-intellectual with no so much actual substance, you can check them out if you want.

I also watch B-rolls, behind the scenes and crew and cast interviews if I enjoy a certain movie.
And if you want some basic filmmaking material to read on than go to nofilmschool.com for some decent non biased articles on basicly all filmmaking elements.

That should be a good starting point.

meant for obviously

I'll be sure to check those channels out, this will be immensely helpful. Once I do find my way into cinema and all its mysteries, would you suggest I stick around and give Sup Forums a swirl?

I've heard this place is a shitstorm but so is practically every board, and your genuine contribution doesn't reflect that reputation.

not that guy but you got pretty lucky with your thread. Most people wouldn't bother. Yes browsing Sup Forums can be a shitstorm but finding threads with recs for movies you might enjoy is easy. Just lurk a bit until you're feeling more accustomed to cinema

Also check out Paul Thomas Anderson and Wes Anderson movies. They're pretty entry level artsy movies.

Also, is 'The Hunt' that you recommended from 1978?

he's probably referencing the more modern one starring Mads Mikkelsen

>compelling, just as the visuals were

Nolan has some of the blandest cinematography, composition, and visuals in the business. It's only up from here the more movies you watch.

Tim Burton and Michael Mann blow Nolan out of the galaxy for visuals. (I'd skip most recent Burton though).

WTF? Politeness, on Sup Forums? Heaven!

Thank you.

I thought that might be the case. Appreciate the recommendations greatly

You could try Sup Forums, but avoid it at all cost whenever a Star Wars or whatever capeshit is released, then all tourist crossposters from other boards come in and it's nothing but those threads for a few weeks atleast, it's unbearable. But yeah you can find a few really good threads here and there with actual great recs, also Sup Forums is a prime meme factory.

No, I'm talking about the 2012 The Hunt (Jagten in danish) like the other user already said.

Hello red-dit.

Appreciate the clarification, hopefully I come across some more rare helpful and kind anons here. Sup Forums has its fair share too

Hello my little fella, isnt it to late for you to write on this board? Pls go to sleep.

Michael Mann was stood behind me in the queue for the airport earlier and I didn't even say hi. I am devastated. He's my all time favourite.

Agree, my friends saw it and thought it was terrible because "it was confusing" "no story", I almost murdered them