Are there any books that are truly "unadaptable"?

Are there any books that are truly "unadaptable"?

Your sex diary, because they don't make short films that short.

Not bad concept, executed poorly. Would have been fine with just "don't make films that short". Is English perchance not your first language?

fpbp

Almost every book written to remain ONLY a book is unadaptable

blood meridian

Dune.

IJ

The Wheel of Time.

>Sony is trying to make it a TV show now.

La Horde du Contrevent.

Finnegans Wake

Any book worth reading is unadaptable. If it's good in 120 minutes, it's probably shit in 10 hours.

The Silmarillion would probably be boring as fuck and not worth it.

Finnegan's wake would have to be art house.

Gravity's Rainbow

No, people have somehow latched onto the idea that the best adaptations are the ones that change the least from the source material, despite the fact that Kubrick spent 40 years teaching us the opposite
If you've got the balls and the know-how to actually transition (read: change (read: 'adapt')) the source material into a format that works for the screen you can adapt literally anything, you can adapt abstract poetry or whatever the hell you want

The quran

The Colour of Magic

Dark tower, to be honest. The last 4 books are too silly for an adaptation

mein kampf

Basically Pynchon stuff

Inherent Vice was adaptable since it was more straightforward compared to his older works

The name of the rose was supposed to be unadaptable/unreadable, but that turned into a masterpiece of a film.
So no, I don't think there is such a thing as an unadaptable book for screenplay.

The one and only

gilgamesh's private teenage diary

My High School algebra textbook

house of leaves

Really the only true answer

I could see House of Leaves being made into a shitty Netflix show though.

It would be garbage, but I can see it happening.

The Sirens of Titan

If you accept that ANY adaptation is going to make changes since written text is not the same as a visual-audio experience, then anything is adaptable.

>this
The best adaptations fundamental change the book for the better, look at drive or dr strangelove

Finnegans Wake

anything by william faulkner

stream of consciousness cant be filmed

koran
dictionary
multitude of upshinads