I'm a 23 yo white college graduate with meme degrees in Russian and Linguistics and no foreseeable career prospects...

I'm a 23 yo white college graduate with meme degrees in Russian and Linguistics and no foreseeable career prospects. Should I join the US armed forces?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BV7RdMAZmQU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Join the airforce as an officer and try to become a pilot. After you get out you can fly jets or helicopters for an easy 6 figure salary + women love any type of military men.

join the CIA. they will take you 100% (no joke)

Isn't there a height limit for pilots? That's what I've always heard being 6'5" myself.

Know anything about crypto ling? That's what I keep hearing is the gravy train of the air force.

The Russian thing might be useful if you used it right.

i'm a general in the secret memetic warfare division and you can't be taller than 6'1" sorry loser

>gravy train
Don't know what you're talking about here, all salaries are just based on rank alone. As for the height limit, yea it looks like you are fucked on becoming a pilot
>They must be 64 to 77 inches tall when standing, and 34 to 40 inches tall when sitting.

A single inch over the limit

youtube.com/watch?v=BV7RdMAZmQU

Gravy train meaning highly employable post-service. Though I never really hear exactly WHAT crypto linguists are so desirable for anyways.

Fuck yes you should. Russian terps might be in high-demand soon.

honest question why the fuck go to college like this and not be prepared to have a job immediately after grad, but instead you lazily ask Sup Forums and not the daily /k/ enlist threads or indeed even google or a recruiter or any related phone number... maybe you are retarded though, but my hunch is you're lazy and rode through school to do something at all

Take a 6 week roofing course and work as a roofer for $18/hr starting.

Join the russian armed forces you cuck!

1. Apply to the Air Force
2. Don't ever tell them you know Russian
3. Tell the recruiter you want to be a 1N3 (linguist) or 1A8 (airborne linguist)
4. Get qualified for it (ASVAB + DLAB)
5. Enjoy 47 weeks paid vacation in Monterey, CA (Russian language training)
6. Go on to be a linguist
7. Be really good at it, earn foreign language bonus
8. Move up in the ranks, or just use that time to decide what you really want to do
9. GI bill and/or tuition assistance available if you want to get a better degree

yes but this is 2 years dorm life like 30k banked if lucky, aka fuck that. why not start the actual career if he already has the quals

Fell for the whole "major in what you're good at and you'll thrive" meme and worked my ass off in both departments so that I could be a competitive candidate for grad school. Prepping for the upcoming LSAT, but the idea of throwing away more money into higher education with no guaranteed job (in a dying field nonetheless) is making it much less attractive.

>I never really hear exactly WHAT crypto linguists are so desirable for anyways.
I am one, and I can tell you the vast majority of military linguists who get out and continue to do work in foreign language become contractors who do pretty much the same job. They don't become language teachers or interpreters or interrogators or translators because big companies and big scary agencies like the CIA will hire actual natives for those jobs, as they should. No, they just do the same job but in civilian attire and without military obligations.

>black boots
>brown boots
>garrison covers
>beret
Is it a meme for Eastern European militaries to lack a cohesive uniform?

Why the fuck would he go in as enlisted when he could become an officer from the get go? You're talking a difference of nearly 20000$ a year which would pay for his college and more.

well there are plenty of opportunities to get employment with this. i'm not saying don't consider mil, but how do you not have job prospects especially if your professors have contacts? what people at 23 maybe don't realize is that landing job is a hierarchy from hr's perspective, i mean this; is he going to fit in, does he have the same qualities as other successful employees we've hired, does he have a good work ethic, and lastly- does he have the BASIC capability (education, in your case) to BEGIN to work here

i'd be talking to your department for prospects, getting job is 80% knowing someone and 20% what i mentioned

Since we're on Sup Forums and the dude admitted to going for a meme degree I think the kraut was assuming OP wants to do as little work as possible.

Just don't fall for the nuclear meme if you go Navy.

I was actually about to add, yeah with a bachelor's you can just go in as an officer I suppose. However, and I don't know if this matters to OP or not, but an officer wouldn't use any Russian. They'd never put officers doing any actual transcribing or translating.

i just tapped merkels phone and she keeps talking in arabic, what gives

DC think tanks

you do realize that on picture taken is georgean forces - supplied by Burgerstan (pre-invasion '08)

so blame yourself, not "east europeans)

Believe me, the faculty and staff at a midwestern state university teaching RU/Ling are far from being well-connected and typically push post-grad study in their fields so that we will be cursed to the same fate as they are. They literally lined up our other choices as "travel the world, waste money, live your life working in weird places then come back to an insurance job" or "get a job in insurance". So many schools just need to be closed if this is the "expert advice" that we're supposed to expect.

these are where the government can outsource intelligence so companies can justify large salaries to attract experts. maybe they'd hire an out of the box grad for analysis, i wouldn't be so sure though

>internships are everything

>literally did the only internship available for either major, as a research assistant for SLP

study history, learn to write long papers, you are already "current" by browsing pol, don't unveil your power level in an interview

trust me* there is interest in DC

dude in your shoes, i'd make up a very basic 1 page resume. nothing fancy, nothing that screams i'm albert fucking einstein meets mother theresa and i mentor children 20hrs/wk at homeless shelters etc... a very basic here are my quals, my degree, prior employment and summarize your goals. then spam that shit but with thoughtful discretion. thinktanks aren't a terrible idea (translate this newspaper article dude) but i'm sure you can think of others with relevance. i'd also hit your department for contacts, even if they are stuck in the whirlpool there surely someone has some kind of in

or the FBI.

If you know chink, russian or arabic you will get in unless you are a useless retard

I am in the same seat kind of. I know Polish very well. Majoring in Criminal justice and IT. thinking of going airforce and doing

>pic related

It's hard as shit but I been working out everyday and running on some days and have a year and a half before I make the decision

Got it. I'll try to get in touch with one of my family member's godparents who was in Nixon's cabinet and see if that gets me anywhere. Potentially the biggest thing holding me back is simply my internalized self-doubt about my usefulness in such spheres. I suppose everyone starts somewhere though.

You seem to be informed as far as I can tell, but chances are you're just LARPing as a spook.

You could join the Russian army and translate imageboard post for them.

>Russian and Linguistics

Join the CIA, they will hire you.

I met and fucked 18 yo Russian girls who speak better English than my parents while I was studying in St. Petersburg. I doubt there is a significant need, much less possibility for that.

Those are Georgians supplied by USA, dummy.

Got any tips/sources etc on learning russian? Just started yesterday. I'm an experienced language learner, but with this I'm starting from scratch.

>this phrase here
putin furls his eyebrows
>this is a kekposter
putin slams his fist on the table. everyone is quiet
>next slide has harambe
bottle of vodka slams into the wall, one lady dare's to gasp but quickly hushes her astonishment

Join the CIA or the state department

RIDF

OR go to work at a multinational and find a position working with Russians or in Russia?

Yo son. Don't be a fag. Millions so of people join the us armed forces. Seriously, foreign legion.

It's what van Damme would do. Also they sing songs.

Find some Russbros or a qt.

>learn Cyrillic
>learn your verb conjugations
>learn what the cases are and when they are used
>learn how cases decline nouns, then adjectives
>cry as you try to wrap your head around perfective/imperfective verb forms
>abandon all preconceptions of Russian and try to look at it like how a Russian speaks shitty English

You will not learn if you just try to watch Russian movies or TV from the very beginning. That's how you become a gopnik who speaks Russian like a fucking clown. It's a literary language, treat it as such.

and if you want to sound fancy/well-educated, use participles in your speech

also you're never going to make "soft" consonants correctly. just accept this for now.

>he thinks he can learn russian

>serving a non nationalistic "military"

better join the police/fbi/cia like other anons suggested

>this

you'll never pass as a fluent speaker, but Russians MIGHT be impressed that you even tried

goddamn if i didn't wish my parents wern't so liberal and dissuaded me from joining the armed forces and instead gave me a never ending psyop campaign about love conquering all yet accepting suffering as truth for myself type of shit

yes

Apply to the US Diplomatic Mission, NSA or CIA

>internalized self-doubt

- Language will get you in
- you can read on the internet to grow other areas of knowledge
- DC is run by people like that

ok you can drop the insecurity meme, also study abroad legitimizes you in both language and personal experiences

Well Danish is way more fucked up than Russian so it should be easy.

Thanks. I never watch TV, but rather focus on spaced repetition, translation and writing. Untill I get to a conversational level obviously.

Idi nahui friend

>Georgia
>Not Eastern Europe
>Flag visible on uniform

You sure got me there fellas.

Only if trump wins

I was a 35P in army for 8 years. Or a " crypto ling" if you want to be a faggot about it. If you want to sit on your ass and be the least respected branch in this area go air force.

Пиздишь, cпopим чтo, ты дayн кoтopый мoжeт читaть тoлькo пo книжкe.

I assume you're not naming the agency in which you work intentionally, otherwise you would have named specifics other than 'thinktanks'.

I'll absolutely look into you guys if I'm at least minimally qualified, if that's the case.

>чтo, ты
>,

Never mind. You're already a mole or a jon or whatever.

Я yчилcя чтo мoжнo в Aмepикe. К coжaлeнию, чecтнo нeмнoгo кpoмe книг.

U have problem, it's google translate if no.... so bad

Извини, peдкo я пишy. Глaвнee, пo-мoeмy, пoнимaть.

do not be a lawyer man, that career is fucking dead right now, if you aren't graduating from the top 3-5 schools, you will never get anywhere

i'm suing you for slander and defamation, famalam

You can fly helicopters in the army.

>me
>6'5"
>former army uh60 pilot
>now fly news copper for local news network

It's a pretty fucking great way to make a living.

Sure. Either that or find become a wage slave while you hone some skill (photography, language) then use said skill to find a career.

Learn coding

shameless bump