Does Sup Forums prefer Alien or Aliens? I like them about equally but if I had to pick one it would be Alien

Does Sup Forums prefer Alien or Aliens? I like them about equally but if I had to pick one it would be Alien.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5WZpx77fE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I prefer Ripley's grey cotton panties.

Can you imagine what her BO must smell like after waking up from stasis? Mmmmmmmmm...

Post pancake ass.

Salty coins

Alien is better

First half of Alien >>>>>>>> second half > Aliens > Alien Isolation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest

I agree.

I wish the first half had been a little bit longer so some of the action in the second could have been cut.

That's a lot of hair

Get your syrup ready

No it's not.

UU
UU

IMAGINE

Thanks, now we feast.

Alien is a fantastic film.

Aliens is a great flick.

Aliens > Alien
Alien is good but it drags once it's Ripley vs the alien.

Alien is my favorite film so there ya go.

But if you leave details aside and simply do a (slightly selective, but not much) plot synopsis of both, they're the exact same film on paper.

Something I was thinking about, just today: why does Hicks always dis-believe Hudson's ability to correctly read the motion sensor?

Hudson was a bit of an idiot. He cracks under pressure and makes mistakes

Bad opinion. Everything that happens in the course of Parker and Lambert's death and immediatley afterwards can be construed as a short film contained within the film, which would stand on its own merits as a short, or else as a third act here. This is also where the film expressly makes its turn from a sci-fi film into a pure horror film.

It is easy to imagine as a short: crew members "go downstairs", or else we catch them mid-kill with some important bits of info for a little setup. Surviving person finds their bodies, the back-and-forth about setting the self-destruct, the thing gets all fucked up, back, forth, back, forth, then the later gotcha. None of it padding, all tension and fairly going through the right beats.

I have even conceived this part of the film as being a /silent/, because the solitary character beyond the kills, and you can still have your big swelling music and simply have no dialogue (or else include the odd yelps from the protagonist). (One would have to dispense with Helen Horton's countdown dialogue, but this would be easily accomplished via visual cues). One of the characteristics of a great film is that you can fundamentally discern what is really going on by simply watching the screen. Alien's third act executes this perfectly.

Both are masterpieces.
I think they are both fantastic, but don't listen to the roleplay niggers that think that Aliens is inferior just because it has shooting in it.

Personally I like Aliens more because I feel like it was the stronger movie throughout, whereas Alien had a weaker second act.

also I thought the message/theme in Aliens (importance of the nuclear family) was stronger/better than any themes in Alien. Alien had the better chest bursting scene though

>importance of the nuclear family

Please explain even if you're baiting.

White panties were better even with the lack of semi exposed furburger
Dat tummy

It's coming out the side of her panties

not that user but
One thing that ruined the end of that movie was the ending, and it has spawned arguments between me and just about every I know that has seen that movie.

Throughout the movie, the alien is never really shown to have any sort of higher intelligence. We see that it is obviously a dangerous predator and a natural hunter when it stays still to kill Dallas, and when it ambushes the other crew members, but we still don't see any actual evidence of intelligence higher than that of an ordinary animal.

So why do people think that the alien retreating to the shuttle at the end was anything other than the alien going getting away from the loud noises and blaring alarms by going to the one place on the shit that is quiet. It's not its intelligence, it could have no comprehension of an alarm or a selfdestruct.

This isn't supposed to be me having a go at you, but I just feel that ending ruined the whole "scary monster ultimate predator" vibe by having it hide in there.
i dunno where i was going with this, i just wanted to get my thoughts out

Ridley Scott originally wanted the alien to kill Ripley and then it would have actually spoken in her voice or something like that. He's kind of an idiot.

Sure, the thing that makes sense is to see the alien as just an extra-deadly lion, tiger etc. Personally, I've never seen it as anything other than an extremely lethal and nasty animal, although when I was a kid, I took Ash's description literally, and entertained the spooky concept that they were literally immortal.

Where you have some nitpick because you feel that the creature is "too smart" (or is perceived as such) for whatever reason, I instead see a nasty animal that makes predictable animal behaviors, much as you've described. What do we /see/ on the screen in the final moments? A fairy tale. A girl is trapped in a room with a big nasty dragon... but the dragon is still an ANIMAL after all, and being very tired, is doing some weird sort of hibernating. The girl watches, puts on her armor, and casts a magic spell to vanquish the evil dragon.

I enjoy your wacky interpretations, user. Still waiting for an explanation on the nuclear family thing.

Ridley is also responsible for pushing the last bit of budget to get this great "fourth act" which I strongly and respectfully disagree with the other well-spoken user about, and which was so good that James Cameron directly ripped it off and did the exact same thing for the end of his own movie.

Before Ridley became senile, he did Blade Runner and Alien after all. In the context of the above, his workshopping of crazy ideas while at the height of his powers can be totally forgiven - /especially since he came down on a right one/. Alien's production was an absolute perfect storm of creatives coming together, collaborating, fighting, and proving themselves to make a perfect film. You have to get past the recent abortions to understand the truth of this.

All true but the mere fact that he even had that stupid idea in the first place didn't bode well for things to come.

No one listens to Ripley (the woman), someone who has had experience with xenomorphs, and instead they try the macho man way of doing things which results in disaster.

Then Ripley and newt get attacked by the facehugger and their knowledge and experience about aliens is useless, because they don't have any strength (men) to actually do anything about it. They need the men to come and protect them because they can't kill the aliens on their own.

Only when the Hicks (the father figure) actually listens to ripley's (the mother figure) advice and what she has to say, and he acts on it, do things actually go well for them.

The men that don't protect the women get killed, and remember at that elevator part in the second act when hicks protects ripley by shooting to save both their lives but gets acid on him?

Even Newt represents the child figure, they go out of their way to protect her, and it pays off when she knows her way around the vents and leads them to safety. Ripley going back to save her is her not giving up the chance to save her 'daughter' figure, unlije her real daughter who she found out died at the start. She doesn't miss the chance to be the good mother figure by risking her life for her daughter figure

There were other themes in their as well, such as the chess theme (knights, bishops, pawns, and queens)

So you've conceded the old point which is the only thing that matters to my point, since I don't argue the merits of the later material. Well met user.

Except to say that despite the Covenant people acting just as stupid and retarded as the Prometheus people, I WAS gratified that there was an express reference to Bocklin's Isle of the Dead (as valuable information for the first great film). And that's all. Beyond that, yep, dreck.

>especially since he came down on a right one

Well... more like the Fox executives told him no because it was retarded.

I've always had a vague thing about Bishop as a chess piece but fuck this is valuable.

I'm going to get fairly out-there and speculative with my autism but here we go. I've always conceived Aliens' principal cast (the people on the ground for the main part of the film) as sixteen. When a game of chess begins, you have sixteen pieces of material.

The next part is for me to shoehorn the above group of sixteen, in a rather ham-handed way, into this metaphor. We have lots of military grunts so it should be fairly easy to transcribe the idea:

WHITE

QUEEN: Ripley
KING: Newt (the object of the game is to protect the king at all costs. it's the whole official reason of the mission)
BISHOP: Bishop, natch ( :^) ), Gorman (rank, access)
KNIGHT: a degree above pawns, lower-rank but valuable: Hicks, Apone
ROOK: straight-flyers. Ferro, Spunkmeyer
PAWNS: disposable material. Includes regular outfit of Frost, Crowe, Wierzbowski, Dietrich, Drake, Vasquez and Hudson but further includes pawn of corporate machine (and own greed) Burke (why be point on your little profiteering adventure? Exactly becase you can't get someone else to do it for you. So, you're a pawn).

BLACK

QUEEN: natch.
EVERYTHING ELSE: etc.

I wish to stress that I wrote this post before taking the next obvious step of looking up pic related. After posting this I'll see how my ideas fare against this particular set.

I personally prefer Aliens, but I admit Alien is the better film overall. They're both fantastic in their own right, as they play on different fears entirely. So much so that they're really almost completely separate films, sans the character of Ripley.

Alien is like finding a spider in your bedroom, so you leave to go get a shoe to kill it. When you return, the spider's gone.

Aliens is like finding a spider when you walk into your kitchen, so you leave to get a shoe to kill it. When you return, there's 100 more.

Also, are there any other pieces of media (that aren't Giger) that have a biomechanical design like Giger's?

PS FIX YOUR FUCKING SITE GOOKMOOT I CAN BARELY POST ON THIS PIECE OF SHIT

then the 3rd movie comes along and shits all over all of that

A cult classic sci-fi with well implemented horror elements or your run of the mill action flick? Hmm, a tough choice indeed.

>The girl watches, puts on her armor, and casts a magic spell to vanquish the evil dragon
;_;... it's beautiful

*woof woof* beware the Xeno-pupper

Or the cow, depending on what version you watch.

*woof woof*

youtube.com/watch?v=Xu5WZpx77fE
You know doesn't this scene kinda mess with canon? I mean doesn't the alien hi-jack DNA.