Just finished season 1 and fucking loved it. Immeaditely started watching season 2 and holy fuck what is this garbage...

just finished season 1 and fucking loved it. Immeaditely started watching season 2 and holy fuck what is this garbage. Should I even continue?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/nicpizzolatto/status/484347690755424257
youtube.com/watch?v=IvMttqmRdPU#t=43s
youtube.com/watch?v=oaJDU2Suwqk#t=50s
youtu.be/8sN_YtynITo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no

inb4 edgy contrarians will claim season 2 is as good as season 1

Just wait for season 3

No

season 2 is a mess

Season 1 was a fluke where a formula had enough decent dialogue and TOP tier acting to result in an excellent show.

Season 2 is that same formula, with shittier dialogue and worse acting, making it a pretty lame show.

i miss vince posting

Season 2 is shit in many ways but I couldnt stop watching. I think it's worth it for Vince and Colin alone

VINCED

S1 is inarguably some of the greatest television ever made. There's no way S2 was even going to come close.

Lower your expectations and enjoy it for what it is, user, because at the end of the day S2 is still a pretty good watch.

THE AUDIENCE WAS LOST
THE CONTRACT SIGNED
I WAS NOT LOVED
I CROSSED THE LINE

Season 1 is overrated and Season 2 is underrated.

I would actually rate them about equal desu because Season 1 dragged in the middle while season 2 was overall more entertaining until the absolute undeniable train wreck of an ending.

s2 is pretty good in it's own right despite it's flaws.

Nah i stopped like a couple episodes in as well

It all started going downhill after the fifth episode in the first season already, so much cliche twists and turns that you end up not even caring who the actual killer is anymore.

The execution of every single filmmaking element except the character development starts to get worse and worse.
You get an absurd amount of the same establishing shots, absurd amount of shots of a car entering a location, "let's go for a beer" exposition dialogues, exposition exposition exposition. The back to back camerawork in dialogue scenes get's so overused that you can basically just listen to the conversation without even watching the screen and grasp all the information you need, the visual storytelling becomes completely sidelined after the fifth episode. They are still entertaining yes, but certainly not on-par with the first half of the season

Caspere knew this.

It's shit because of the multiple maincharacter storylines
That being said, every scene with Colin Farrel, especially towards the end was pretty damn enjoyable

>It's a dog eats dog world out there, Ray. That's why I'm a fucking Chihuahua. - Caspere knew this.

>fluke
Season 1 had like 3 years of being worked on.
Season 2 was hastily made in less than a year to capitalize on the momentum of season 1. No wonder season 2 was hot garbage in comparison

Agreed.

Season 2's cast of characters was awesome. The concept was awesome.
(Three presumably underqualifed cops put on a big case because they were supposed to fail)

Unfortunately the writing just went off the fucking rails so hard at the end to a level seldom seen anywhere ever.

>YOU KGB KIKE MOTHERFUCKER

Despite all its flaws I would much rather watch S2 again over S1.

Season 2 only got good at the end

You aren't supposed to care about who the killer is. He only shows up in the final episode for a reason. He's irrelevant and pointless.

The show is about Rust and Marty. It's a character study of a twenty year long relationship, with all of the ups and downs that come with it. If you're watching it as some kind of murder mystery and trying to figure out who the killer is you're completely missing the point of the show and aren't the intended audience.

The seventh episode almost makes the season redeemable, but the eighth episode just took a shit on everything that was built up.

Shut the fuck up you pretentious cunt.

Part of the appeal of season 1 is that it takes place in the countryside in summer. Season 2 looked like any boring dark New York thriller. That's what the trailer felt like, because I'm not watching it

>p-please don't bring actual critique to muh circlejerk
Yeah it's good but why pretend like it's flawless?

>Season 2's cast of characters was awesome.

L M A O
M
A
O

The characters in season 2 were so bad they became jokes and memes.

>didn't get the show: the post
I thought the same thing on my first watch but upon rewatch i acknowledged it as a character study and a masterpiece at that. No tv show since has come close to what this show achieved

Season 2 isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Season 2 isn't nearly as good as people make it out to be.

AWARDS WERE LOST
THE SCRIPT WAS LIES
I WAS NOT KEKED
ACROSS THE LINE

AND PIZZA WROTE
THE LAMEST LINES
YET VAUGHN WENT ON
TO NEVER MIND

NOW PIZZA'S BACK
AND CASPER KNEW
WE WERE NOT KEKED
IN SEASON TWO

NEVER MIND
NEVER MIND
WE WERE NOT KEKED
NEVER MIND

I got it completely, I just don't like the execution, especially after the first five episodes.
I'm more critiquing TV shows as a whole because they are heavily underusing the visual medium compared to film by focusing on just the characters and ignoring every other filmmaking element. Rather make it a book then.

>show literally called true detectives
>the murderer is irrelevant
>wastes focus on slice of life filler
How moronic, no wonder you couldn't understand season 2.

But people don't make it out to be good in the first place you re re.

I liked season 2. It was more of the same noir shit for simpletons. Good quality, good acting. That's all nothing to discuss. It was still better than lots of shows.

Just finished my fourth viewing of S1 too.

S2 is good for the actors acting and that's it.

Fuckanigga was responsible for saving season 1 from Pizzalatte's bullshit. He wasn't around to do the same with season 2.

More or less this.

It had good acting and good tone. Only the story wasen't even close to what first season had.

But I'm curious about season 3. There has been more time to write it and David Milch is writing with Pizza so maybe there is good change to get something good.

TD season 1 5/5
TD season 2 3/5

Taylor Kisch was the super badass secret fudgepacker. He was actually my favorite character because he actually wanted to use his brain for detective work even though he was a totally unwualified lowly traffic cop.

Colin played the corrupt cop with a heart of gold as well as anybody could.

The chick was your typical man hating overachiever but her bitchy man hating ways ended up backfiring on her whitch was cool.

Vince Vaugn was kind of a complicated part villain that I totally ended of rooting for at the end. Its a shame his ending went completely off the rails.

You should only watch it for the Vinceposting. Well, and the ending isn't too bad, I guess.

But yeah, nothing to do with season 1. I often fear that was just lightning in a bottle.

Also Cottonmouth dude is supposed to be the main protag in S3 which I hope is true because Cottonmouth was fucking.based.

Yeah, he's been cast as the protag. No idea if he's the main, or if it'll be another ensemble cast.

>and the ending isn't too bad, I guess

????

The ending was terrible even though the rest of the show was solid.

You can tell the writers wrote themselves into a corner so hard they just said fuck it and smoked a few bowls (obviously laced with something) and just blew half of it up while running the other half into a ditch.

What? Calling something a character study doesn't negate its established plot or render it meaningless. You could have had the same long view of a relationship while approaching the reason that relationship developed with a little
More thought and precision.

This is the kind of reductive reasoning that excuses all kinds of missed opportunities and lazy writing. Everything on a show is important. The nature the murderer/cult is important. How the villain is dealt with is important because it all reflects back on that precious "character study".

so fucking wrong
you're right about them being equal but s1 was just fine throughout and s2 got better at the end if anything, although a lot of my fav scenes are in the first half

Everything he said was spot on. The atmosphere, which is what allowed Rust and Marty to be such great characters basically evaporates half way into the season and we're lift with a basic bitch procedural with the pretense of surreality.

And of course, 1 had the same director for each episode and you hear how Nic Pizzalato plagiarized from Thomas Ligotti for all of Rust rants.

these

also fukunaga left, so the production/direction was a different set of people

also they hired the director from the worst action scene in an episode of GoT ever (snek fight in season 5) to direct their "big action scene"

There's a semblance of a good story, the middle episodes before the finale are decent.

They should've stayed with just 2 main characters and got rid of a bunch of subplots.

Yeah, the first season was unique in that it was a tv crime thriller set in the country, pretty much all the others on tv are set in LA,NYC, and other big cities.

I really hope they go back to 2 main characters. The 4 (5 of you include Vaughn's wife) had to be given all these elaborate back stories that wasted time for the main story.

Season 2 is half-baked. Like they only finished writing a draft script and then started shooting anyway, overconfident of their success in the first season.

It needed another year of development, or a fresh set of eyes on it, and it got neither of these things. Caspere knew this.

Another think that people don't mention:

mobile.twitter.com/nicpizzolatto/status/484347690755424257

(that's his last tweet, hasn't tweeted since 2014 lol)

They gave Nic pretty much freedom to write whatever he wanted for the 2nd season. No matter how good of a writer you are, you still need an editor.

I also think he took out the occult stuff that made the first season unique was because of the plagiarism accusations, he wanted to distance himself from a horror writer like Ligotti so he can prove to everyone he can write his own stories.

Do yourself a favor and watch Hannibal instead.

I think Pizzalatto was angry cause he thought Cary Fukunaga got all the credit for the first season (which he deserves). They say that Asian director that appears in the second is making fun of him.

Where too much pizza ambition fucked the story up

I agree with this

I want to start this, but is it good enough even though I heard it doesnt have a "complete ending"? It got canceled iirc

Pizzalotto's first draft for the ending of a season 1 was where Rust and Marty go into Carcosa and kill the killer but not before the killer mortally wounds them both. Therefore they disappear completely and the conspiracy never gets out (I know the actual ending no one believes it, but it was still good to get it out, some will believe).

There's talks of reviving it now.

it'll be revived in a year or so. season 3 is an unpleasant mess though.

You're right but I think it's reductive to just call it 'the story'.

The plot was better the dialogue was better, the characters were better, the overall themes and ideological subtext were better.

It was all-round better writing -- not just 'the story'

It's tied up neatly with a bit of wiggle room for continuation (which is already being discussed since the rights were released this month, but it'll probs take about 4 years to actually air)

Either way it's an experience you won't regret.

I liked the fact about how they said there going to eventually redo all the books for TV. Although they'll do redo the last book with a lot of changes cause it sucked.

Season two is good dude. Gotta finish it to really get the whole essence of what the season was trying to be though

fuck off
You're so clearly jumping on a bandwagon here and exaggerating your opinion so that it seems cool and in line with Sup Forums's consensus.

fair enough if you think season 2 was worse but calling it garbage is nonsense

They did something new and unconventional with it instead, which is great if it strokes your preferences. It's horror fantasy art more than anything. Definitely better than making just another procedural. Also, staying faithful to books is usually just hot air to appease the original fans.

Reasonable people will claim that season 2 was somewhere between as good to a fair bit less good than season 1 but still decent overall and better than most shows.

edgy bandwagoners will claim that it was shit

give it a chance. it has a few great moments and is still a fairly solid show. doesn't hold a candle to s1 though.
oh lawd is this now a frankposting thread?

Please don't respond to bait threads guys. It's such obvious bait just use your noggin.

>binge watch season 1
>immeaditely go onto season 2
>first episode is immeaditely shit, come here asking if its going to get better
>everyone says its shit

I had no prior knowledge about the series firsthand either. go fuck yourself autist

season 1 is automatically better because it had mammario

I think Im gonna have to start rewatching season 2 tonight.

No desire to rewatch S1 though.

>hurr. ..I had no prior knowledge of any opinions of Season 2

>lying on a Cambodian chihuahua sweater knitting board.

le contrarian meme

They say the early bird catches the worm, Ray. But what kind of faggot eats worms for breakfast?

It's a dog eat dog world out there, Ray, and I'm the fucking Chinaman

Post songs you want to be the opening theme of new seasons:

youtube.com/watch?v=IvMttqmRdPU#t=43s

youtube.com/watch?v=oaJDU2Suwqk#t=50s

well done! i guess babby finally caught up to true detective. welcome to 4 years ago for most of the people here.

how fucking delusional/retarded do you have to be to spin some sort of narrative out of this thread? I never even paid any attention to the show before yesterday since an episode was played in my class as an example due to its phenomenal transitions. You might be genuinely retarded if it took you more than one episode of the second season to realize it was utter trite dogshit selling on its name alone

I liked season 1 well enough. Just not enough to re watch it.

My 2 cents:

My really only criticism of Season 1 was Marty's family issues subplot. I'd thought they'd tie it in with the rest by having Marty's daughter killed, but they just turned her into a goth slut. Also the way Marty and Rust separate could've been written better. Have Marty's daughter be killed by the Cult and have Marty blame Rust in some way. Therefore Rust leaves town for a decade while Marty feels likes he's failed and gets divorced.

Season 2 revved up this criticism by adding a bunch of unneeded subplots.

>Gay cops time in the mercenary group, implied he contributed to a massacre
>Why gay cop fucked his friend in a war zone
>Did gay cop's mom molest him, making him gay (That homophobic Pizzalatto)
>Girl's cop relationship with the rest of her family, why did her mom commit suicide? Explore girl cops rape more
>Vaughn's up bringing, what's up with his father and the black guys who bullied him
>Why was Ray's wife raped in the first place, why didn't he get caught beating up that kids dad? Did Ray kill the rapist? (Which reminds, the revelation of why Ray killed the wrong guy was stupid, they should've had reveled Vaughn intentionally lied to him)

I bet there's more but I haven't watch it in awhile. I get you can say that it was all backstory for the characters but a lot of this felt set up for a something that ended up never happening.

Every time

> I'd thought they'd tie it in with the rest by having Marty's daughter killed, but they just turned her into a goth slut. Also the way Marty and Rust separate could've been written better. Have Marty's daughter be killed by the Cult and have Marty blame Rust in some way.

And that's why you're not a writer for this award winning show you fucking predictable cunt

There are only two ways you have never heard of season 2.

1. You are a child

2. You are brand new here.

Either way your opinion should.be discarded.

Pizzalatto wanted the 2nd Seasom to be about Pedowood but (((they))) wouldn't let him so he did a watered down version instead.

Screencap this

>1. You are a child

I dont watch television exactly because Im not a retarded child who actually has the time to constantly be on the prowl for TV shows to watch

>2. You are brand new here

now youre going to tell me that youre actually proud about sitting on Sup Forums all day long. I "browse" this board when I sit in school or take a shit because it moves so fast that theres usually atleast one thread that im interested enough in to skim through

Her boobs are mediocre. There, I said it.

it actually gets worse, with the finale being even worse then you could ever imagine

>sit in school
child
>>>out

we gotta stop the Jews, Marty, they've been controlling this whole shitshow from day 1, this shit's a fuckin game to them

You literally have to be a retarded 14 year old to think that anyone who goes to school is a child

kys

Season 2 gets more shit than it deserves. It want as good as s1 but it was still good.

The way they tried to make songs interact with the show made me cringe so hard. In fact, I don't think I've cringed that hard at anything featuring Colin Ferrell since Daredevil

That's because you are gay user, but it's 2017 so everyone is.

this was a big part of it. it was spread too thin and everyone became a shitty cliche. it should have focused on just vince vaughn's and colin ferrell's relationship and kept everything else secondary.

it also doesn't help that it followed a 10/10 first season, so even if it had been 8/10 (which it wasn't) it would have seemed like shit by comparison.

Both seasons were good
S2 wasn't as good but it had its fair share of kino moments like this:
youtu.be/8sN_YtynITo

From the rusty mace on, a looming shadow roams. Hidden in the branches of the poison creole song.