How did you get into films as an art form?

How did you get into films as an art form?

Started posting on Sup Forums.

Maybe I should have specified the question better. Which film got you to think of films as something more than mere entertainment?

>deflect valid criticisms that film is boring bad by saying b-but it's an art film y-you just don't understand

all films are art forms, imbecile. some are good and some are extremely bad. it's not an art film it's just a boring awfully-made movie.

>boring
>valid criticism
certainly, but no, that's not where I was heading with my post.

>movie flops
>pretend but i did not intend to entertain

bawwww harder, you pretentious waste of oxygen

film as art people are some of the most pretentious fuckers going around
at least bookfags have some depth to fall back on and music as art fags are almost nonexistent

are you saying films are devoid of depth or that most of it's up to the viewers interpretation?

>all films are art forms
False. Not even every painting is art.

I watched analysis videos on youtube
Apocalypse Now was probably the first one that got me interested.

I started watching and appreciating Ozu's movies desu.

>only art i like can be considered art

blithering idiot (You)

unironically Kubrick and his infinite shots that seem like still photography

start with cinemasins "everything wrong" with videos

thats what I did, and unknowing to me, I naturally developed a skill for finding flaws in film. I would also recommend Redlettermedia videos, and examine HOW they review the movie, and try and copy them. That's my advice t/bh

both, even books are upto interpretation but it is downright impossible to show themes and motives within the usual 3 hour limit of a film and still have it mean something without looking like a hack and that is what is holding films back
some do manage it of course

define art in that way then
protip: you can't

>the expendables is art because its a form of media
>Star Wars is on the same artistic level as Under the Skin
Get fucked cuck, somethings are just made to entertain rather than be enjoyed on a deeper level. Every form of media can be art, but not all media is art.

fucking this, if you say you don't like Hannah Montana you're probably just trying to be pretentious with your artsy-fartsy music tastes

nothing wrong with that

nice

Oh, I wasn't asking for myself, I was simply curious to see how others on this board got into the medium. For me, it was Ridley Scott's Blade Runner DC.

>Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power.
t. Wikipedia

>but it is downright impossible to show themes and motives within the usual 3 hour limit of a film and still have it mean something
wrong

>define art
A work created with the specific intent to elicit a self reflective response from the viewer

i didn't go to films

I went to flicks class

honestly OP it was probably Fight Club and later Zodiac. Fincher has a nice blend between Hollywood convention and unorthodox filmmaking, there was something about his earlier films that weren't quite like the other popular movies at the time.
I wonder how many other people started venturing into alternative filmmaking because of him

I didn't go to flicks, I watched kino.

>admits they're all artistic forms just not same artistic level
>muh arbitrary level based on what i find entertaining and not should be definition of art

contradictorily stupid moron (You)

>admits they're all artistic forms just not same artistic level
Learn to read, I said the opposite.
>muh arbitrary level based on what i find entertaining and not should be definition of art
Plenty of films I like I wouldn't consider art.

I loved how much care Fincher put into details while making Zodiac, you don't see it that often nowadays in Hollywood.

>self reflective response

only femmefaggots who can't get real jobs so pretend to be critics do that (with a nasal lisp)

exactly, any other director would make it another cliche-ridden crime movie drama, but the way he presents all the tense scenes in such a bland way without ceremony and flash just adds so much more reality and truth
I think he lost his touch after making HoC and Gone Girl though

not an argument

>11 posters 26 replies
>attentionwhore samefaggot posting without trip pretending to be 2 anons to listen to self pretentiously yammer

kek

totally, the lake scene was fucking horrifying.
>lost his touch after making HoC and Gone Girl
I see why you'd say that, but I still really enjoyed Gone Girl and the episodes he directed for the show, even though he'll likely never top Zodiac.

it is. you just don't like the truth and fact that your definition of art is designed to cater to femmefaggots who can't get real jobs so they can nasally lisp their opinions and pretend it's a real job.

not an argument

are you ?
I enjoyed GG too but the whole movie felt to me like airplane literature, it was bland, there was no weight to any of it, and I honestly can't remember most of it

no, i'm

ah i see. you can't refute truth so you hide behind posting not an argument. okay then.

No you aren't. Why are you lying on an anonymous image board?

>posts pic proving he replies to self as user without trip

you truly are an idiot

>inb4 anontripfag posts shooped pic trying to prove not samefagging

truly this is a new level of autism

Unironically Dune

David Lynch

I got interested in fashion, and eventually very conceptual fashion. I got a good understanding of it as an artform and it allowed me to see other things in the same way. Movies and music and anything I experienced I could break down and often things were lacking, I mean most movies that people usually watch weren't very satisfying, so I got interested in looking for the good stuff in everything and kind of did that

I started with the big names in movies, I literally just thought that just as the designers in the 60s we hear about now made good stuff, the directors in the 60s that we still hear about must have made good stuff so I started with that