Any krauts on here? How bad was this guys accent...

Any krauts on here? How bad was this guys accent? Could he have actually passed off as a resident of some tiny German village?

this is a top 100 cinematic moment, fyi

bravo T.

Yeah it's a pretty good scene. Although I might like farmhouse or strudel scenes a little better.

His accent was pretty passable. The problem is, during this time every German village had its own dialect and pretty much nobody spoke standard german as is nowadays the case so this guy would still have standed out like a guy with an american accent in a shakespeare play. Quentin should have had him talk like they did back then rather than how they do nowadays but he also did the same with most of the nazis so I guess that evens it out. All nazis also spoke standard German except for hitler who remained faithful to his meme talk.

I get that every village would have different dialects due to less media and travelling etc, but isn't the flipside of that that someone like Lans would not have known all the different accents that well for every village and hearing a new one like Fassbender's wouldn't necessarily be that strange for him?

Thats what makes the scene so great. He sounds weird. Not like a "foreigner", but just weird. He has perfect grammar and great vocabulary, but odd pronunciation.

Basically you only get to that level of German, if you spoke it as a child, which Fassbender did IRL. That makes everyone suspicious, but not 100% sure hes a spy.

The story he tells of the little village is actually strangely distracting, since they are incredibly isolated.

All in all its a 10/10 scene.

When he switches to English is the cherry on top.

>t. average 14 y.o. tarantula fan
it's not even the best scene in the movie

It is rather hard to explain but even though German has tons of different dialects you can hear when it is genuine German due to the flow and choice of words. Fassbender had a perfect standard German accent and used impecable grammar which at some point might sound either incredibly stuck-up or rehearsed which in both xases would have irritated the ss officer and probably aroused suspicion. He did however speak very good German it was just not as befitting for this kind of situation. People don't talk like that when they're having cheap drinks at a bar.

Fassbender is German, moron.

He's Irish, moron.

He was born and spent his childhood in germany, Dummkopf.

it's a shit scene from a shit movie. you have bad taste

It's a shit reply from a shit board, your opinion is shit

It had an uncanny valley vibe to it. It didn't really sound foreign but a bit off.

Wrong.

I didnt find Fassbender british accent authentic either. It was too flat for me.

Danke

did the other two Germans with the Bastards sound the way that they should in that situation?

They certainly did sound more native due to their laid-back way of speaking and their flow but as I previously wrote: They are also speaking standard german which was not common back in those days. They do however blend in a lot more naturally.

I don't know why you think everyone spoke with some wacky accent back then. If you watch German movies from the 40s they don't sound very different.

Did you not even read what he wrote? He's specifically saying it's the grammar and flow, not the accent, that was odd

MY mom's full German and I lived there for a while. I don't speak it but even I could tell he definitely had an accent

IMO it was comparable to telling the difference between someone with a New York American accent and a Mexican speaking English with an accent. You can easily tell the difference between a dialect and a foreign accent