Why didn't anyone tell me this was literal Sopranos tier television...

Why didn't anyone tell me this was literal Sopranos tier television? I'm halfway through season 2 and I'm convinced this is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IIDvYVjkkts
youtube.com/watch?v=GpWlKCfSPcU
youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3yrjwaRLo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hands down best show I've ever seen, and only gets better each season

Yes, it's brilliant. The only negative thing about it is Weiners unconditional blind love for his absolutely talentless son.

Still baffles me how someone can write a show this incredible, but still not realise that casting his fucking son is an awful idea.

And lost Sal because of it in the process.

Yeah, it's great.

You haven't seen anything, get ready for feels train.

It's even more kino than the Sopranos because it doesn't rely on le epic Mafia gangster shit

Wait, Glen was his son? I had no idea. I liked Glen though.

Yeah he was. It wasn't terrible since he only appeared like once a season and barely had any lines, but still took me out of what was otherwise a flawless show.

Exactly, it took a context so mundane as advertising and turned it into something so beautiful.

I think he was used effectively though. As a mirror to the shit going on with Betty and Sally. Not a terribly great actor though.
Anyway to OP yes Mad Men is an amazing show. It ages like wine and every time I watch it it gets better. You've already seen one of the greatest scenes "The Carousel" and it just keeps happening.

It's a great show, but why the cast decided on these god awful facial expressions for this pic is beyond me.

I'm in the middle of a rewatch right now and holy fuck how did I forget that scene with roger in blackface

jesus

Honestly the way the advertising, 60s events and character drama were blended was masterful. I only watched 1 season of The Sopranos (not a fan of mafia/crime shows) but it seemed like the personal/family drama was always separate to the mafia stuff.
It's hard to appreciate on a first viewing but every product being sold reflects whats happening to the characters, and the large historical events sync up with smaller scale events happening to them The chaos after JFK's assassination syncing up with Don's failing marriage for example
I could honestly go on forever about how much I love this show.

When Don realizes that his marriage with Megan is also falling apart after Robert Kennedy is shot
POTTERY

the most natural depiction of time passing on television

Enjoy it OP it gets even better

please get out of this thread before you get spoiled OP
there are some 10/10 hilarious and/or moving moments that are unbelievably good the first time around waiting for you

Actually, Pete's one is pretty accurate

I loved the fact Weiner didn't sanitize anything from that time period. In any other show Roger would be an unrepentant piece of shit with no good characteristics and portrayed as a bad guy. The show touches on social issues but its not the point and it doesn't look back and judge them except in a sort of voyeur way.

story?

Stop watching this show! There are no actors of colour in it!

>hating the alpha male of the tv show

Dawn was one of my favorite side characters though.

It could've been better if not for the retarded neck waifu and that hippie thing Don got into.

Is it just me or is the lobby full of negroes?

Yes, that exact point was masterfully played and almost made me clap. God, you just described why I love this show so much, I've recently watched it for the 2nd time and reading threads like this, makes look forward for the 3rd one.

youtube.com/watch?v=IIDvYVjkkts

THE BIGGEST, BLACKEST PROSTITUTE YOU'VE EVER SEEN

Bert takes one look at Dawn at the front desk, turns 360 degrees and walks away

Tote that barge.

(Season 5 Spoilers)
youtube.com/watch?v=GpWlKCfSPcU

Scenes like this are what push the show so far ahead of everything else on tv. So much characterisation with next to no dialogue, no need for awkward exposition or speeches. Just great visuals, audio and acting (from what's normally a comic relief character). Not to mention perfect use of music and tying in the time period at the same time

The guy who played Sal told Weiner the kid sucked, then got fired. Something like that.

I didn't know I was in the presence of a bonafide racist!

I don't hate Glen. I hate the kid who plays him.

jesus christ weiner

because that's the showrunners kid

people that force their ugly kids into their shows are the fucking worst. and somehow you can always tell

christ, I hope that isn't true

fuck, it even happened in sopranos, luckily it was only like 3-4 scenes

Official season power ranking:
3>4>5>2>6>1>7

neck waifu?
And yes, I hated that end too at first, but giving it second thoughts, where else would Don could had ended?
It's obvious he had lost himself so much, and that he couldn't fit anywhere anymore, since every other friend had moved on, that maybe a place with other broken people as him was the best where he could find peace, at least by that moment.
I like to think that eventually he would find the answers to all the mess in his head and would continue his path, how? it's up to every viewer to imagine it, and I think that's what makes his ending so beautiful and bittersweet, everyone else had a closure, but Don's closure is up to us.

REMINDER TO THE GLEN HATERS THAT THERE WILL BE A GLEN SPIN-OFF IN THE 2020s FOCUSING ON GLEN LIVING IN THE HIGH FINANCE WORLD OF WALL STREET IN THE 80S WITH A FAKE IDENTITY THAT HE GOT TO DESERT VIETNAM. SALLY DRAPER APPEARS IN A RECURING ROLE AS HIS CONFIDANT AND LATER LOVER, MAKING GLEN THE ONLY MAN TO HAVE EVER FUCKED BOTH SALLY DRAPER AND BETTY DRAPER (he deserted Nam to fuck Betty before she died of cancer)

Nope

5>4>6>3>2>7>1

>Hallucination Don says "You are okay"

>Roger's final words to Don are the exact same phrase

Woah

>Sopranos
>le epic Mafia gangster shit

If you weren't a pleb you'd realize that part of Sopranos power is how it deconstructs and reinterprets and subverts "le epic Mafia shit."

I liked Sal. It sucks that he didn't come back at least once like Kinsey did.

3>4>5>2>7>1>6

It's also a callback to Don's first Lucky Strike pitch in Episode 1, and could basically serve as the defining quote for the whole show

Another reason to don't pull the trigger

I'm wondering how he got back into advertising to pitch the Coke ad. He shit the bed at two different top agencies. Maybe he did pitch it as a freelancer and got ripped off. I like ambiguity too.

That's not true, Wiener even considered bringing him back for a cameo

I heard they had considered bringing him back as a well known commercial actor, but I think the ambiguity of it makes it so much more tragic. Poor guy tried so hard to make a family and do what's right but he got fucked over. Even more tragic since they lose Lucky Strike anyway

He got a second chance at McCann, since they made the ad in real life. It's only slightly more bullshit than all of the other miracles he pulled out of his ass.

Maybe he sold himself as a changed man after a nervous breakdown? Which is basically the truth.

Glenn died in Vietnam.

gets worse each season. really falls off the cliff fast.

don't want to use buzzwords but it gets stupidly feminized, don turns into a fucking blabbering idiot, all masculinity that makes season 1 good is gone by the end

Jim Hobart was borderline obsessed with Don, he'd at least hear Don out before firing him and I guess Don used that last meeting to pitch the coke ad/save his job

you are somewhat retarded

I think a contributing thing to Don's peace was seeing that Leonard was probably more broken than Don was. Leonard didn't really have the same things that Don did, like charisma, good looks and people that cared about him despite his flaws. He saw that there's people worse off that he is, yet it still shows the fragility of the man behind Don Draper. I think the refrigerator speech that the Leonard guy had will be the basis for Don to use when he's coming up with the Coke advertisement.

Explain

That's definitely the most likely story since McCann had Coke as a client and he knew people there(including the CEO). But jesus, his reputation in the recent past was imploding during a pitch with Hershey and walking out of a Miller Beer meeting and disappearing.

great reply you've really opened my eyes user

Absolute Mad Men

Well, here's someone who really never understood the show, nothing we can do to help.

Nigga, the show's best episode which was in Season 5 (Signal 30) explored all the primary themes of the show including masculinity.

I'd agree that its implausible if he didn't come up with the most famous commercial of all time. The Coke ad was amazingly well received and defined a generation in a lot of ways.

what is there to explain? The writers completely change Don's character for no good reason whatsoever. They take his backbone away and I don't understand why people want to watch yet another confused insecure wallowing in self-pity caricature of a man. It's repulsive.

what does masculinity mean to you

>what is there to explain?
Apparently a lot since I have no idea what you are talking about

IF I WANTED TO SEE TWO NEGROS FIGHT ID THROW A DOLLAR OUT MY WINDOW

>become stronger as a person
>''they took his backbone away''

watch the show again in 5 years time, user

To have the qualities that are commonly associated with men. Signal 30 was a great episode at exploring that because it was about Pete and his constant drive to have those qualities, but it's due to his pathetic nature, he constantly fails at that, losing the fight to Lane.

an og weeb

>the you only like beginnings scene with Faye
sums up Don pretty well

Meant for

>Don's character
>Caricature

Did you watch the show at all? or you just kept staring at your cell phone while half-listening?
Don wasn't changing suddenly, everything that was happening for him, was solely explained by all of his background scenes, also, as well as his duties to the company kept changing, so his attitude. I specially loved the slow build they did in season 6 till the final episode with Hershey's, all the things happening with the company, his life, his marriage, his family, and flashbacks from his past, led to that moment.
Seriously kiddo, stop embarrassing your self.

>To have the qualities that are commonly associated with men

so nothing, then?

>great episode at exploring masculinity b/c guys fight

it was a dumb and shallow scene

youtube.com/watch?v=Tm3yrjwaRLo

Its hard to say which scene is the best, but I think the season 6 finale is one of my favorites. It shows that despite all his faults Don is a good father who truly loves his children and the only woman he truly regretted lying to was Sally.

That is one of the most hilarious and memorable quotes of the series.
I lost all of my keks

well if you want to watch the downfall and mental emaciation of a man then I guess you'd like the show

too dumb to not think living a dangerous lie wouldn't eventually wear a person down.

>webm related, the perfect show for you

I saw this scene first with Wojak staring at Sup Forums. I was pretty excited about finally seeing it in the context of the series.

Yeah, better go watch some pickle Rick and dragons getting killed, right?

fuck, guys, I forgot I was on Sup Forums and not on /fit/. My bad. It figures you're stuck in your romanticized minds or jacking off to self suffering pity and woman worship ideals

see ya

>/fit/
>masculine

Lmaoing at your life

>/fit/

How quickly the manlet got broken, no wonder he's so obsessed with "muh masculinity"

yeah its a great show. I need to finish the final season.

Agreed, but tbf Schipka also became awkward when she hit her puberty.

I'd also add as a negative how Ginsberg just went crazy and didn't have any sort of payoff. Or perhaps I just didn't get it.

he was always fucked in the head.

im trying to find the clip of him yelling at Cutler with random nonsense hippie shit, but i dont think it's on yt

yes, I am sure it had nothing to do with the actor getting his own series

I watched like 5 eps in s1
when does it start getting good?
its just boring at this point
just some rich guys and their life in advertising with their "problems"
does anything exciting ever happen?

I don't mean that his crazyness came from nowhere, but how they built his character by how he is alienated and alone just to 'kill' him off.
I suppose this would explain it.

Yeah, although they did have the potential for him to go full bore schizophrenic from the start. His breakdown yelling at Cutler and telling Bob that he was getting broadcasts to harm people was a red flag.

If you expect to watch dragons breathing fire to a bunch of frozen undead people, nope, nothing exciting happens

not like that but more exciting than this
better call saul is more exciting than this

If you're that bored by it so far it's possible you won't enjoy the rest, but it does start to pick up once all the characters are well established and you're familiar with them as people.

Actually I take that back, it doesn't "pick up" it just becomes more enjoyable because of the familiarity. There really is no overarching plot, it's just watching these characters live their lives over the course of a decade. If that doesn't interest you then you probably shouldn't watch it.

Watch the whole season. If you don't find any enjoyment, drop it.

cac boi

then its just background noise
like friends without the humour but with a comfy and nice aesthetic