Why is it that singers often times successfully transition to acting in films...

Why is it that singers often times successfully transition to acting in films, but it rarely happens the other way around? Think about it:

Singers who became actors:
>Frank Sinatra
>Dean Martin
>David Bowie
>Tom Waits
>Joe Strummer (he didn't act much, but he was great in Mystery Train)
>Justin Timberlake
>Debbie Harry
>Cher
>Henry Rollins

Actors who became singers:
>???

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b74A7BP6Rvo
youtube.com/watch?v=NAcGUpQJsjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3nSqDMqCJQw
youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6twGYRzmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Jared leto you dumb fuck

>Implying

How could you forget this masterpiece, on a serious note that one song by Eddie Murhpy was great.

Saying that David Bowie, Joe Strummer, Justin Timberlake or Debbie Harry became actors is like claiming any actor who had a hit single or two became a singer. And there are some of those.

>Singing well takes talent
>Playing pretend is something every 4 year old knows how to do

Gee? What would be more difficult for transitioning?

Great singers are great at presenting their emotions and delivering performance with a lot of tact and control. They're essentially overtrained for the job of acting.

Shatner

because Famous Singer >>> Famous Actor

>Actors who became singers:
Serge Reggiani

Forgot him.

Drake

Justin Timberlake is pretty much 50/50 with acting and singing now, and he's in some highly acclaimed movies.

because actors are talentless hacks
acting is a meme craft

Mark Wahlberg
Will smith

Because singing takes more talent than acting, actors take their job way too seriously, directors and writers are more important.

jennifer lopez

Jennifer Lopez.

jennifer lopez is an example of this

JLO (Jennifer Lopez.)

Musical talent is something you're born with to a certain degree. Acting can be picked up. Also only the top 2% of actors actually have any talent and the rest are just basically glorified models. Most musicians are attractive already so they have that covered.

This

But also pic related.

JLO started as singer you dumb fucks

Christopher Lee

>What would be more difficult for transitioning?
chopping your dick off

As if people born after -00s remember jlo. And those are the majority of posters here.

but he can't sing, he literally just talks

I know right, I'm getting too old for this website and i'm only 22

russell crowe
billy bob
scarjo
ryan gosling
jared leto
jason schwartzman
kevin bacon
zooey deschanel
based keanu
ezra miller

Nope, she had a ton of acting credits before you released her debut record

Kylie Minogue

Al Corley

Ryan Gosling's band is pretty good

Film is an aural medium. The visual component of film is almost incidental. Images in a film mean exactly as much as pictures in a novel. Storytelling's basis is aural. Even books lack that je nais se quoi. Audiobooks are on the rise for a reason. Ever ask yourself, hey, why does literally no one watch or make silent films now that we have sound? If images were soooo important then surely silent films would be as numerous and popular as audiobooks. Films don't require images, they're only an accessory. Radio plays were the first films.

This, actors are absolute scum

Wrong

Plenty of actors do that. It's just that unlike films it's easier to ignore their shitty music.

There's also much more singers that tried to become actors and failed than actors that tried to become singers and failed. Reason: acting means more money for less work.

Nah the op is easy apparently
Its coping and living with such a stupid decision that seems like a chore

JLH
Kiki

C O R E Y
I
R
E
Y

F E L D M A N
E
L
D
M
A
N

Being a popular singer or musician requires talent. For the most part being an actor doesn't.

Jerome Flynn (Bronn) on Game of Thrones became a singer, although only in the UK.

He's been acting since the 80's, and had a few singles at #1 here in the UK in the mid 90's.
It is an example of an actor becoming a singer though.

Here's a link, youtube.com/watch?v=b74A7BP6Rvo

Just wanted to post this song also because I actually like it, youtube.com/watch?v=NAcGUpQJsjQ

David Lynch's music is great.

because singing actually takes talent and skill

Kyle MacLachlan too.

For me it's hard to take someone seriously as a musician when I know them from movies, I feel like they're just cashing in on their name, even if that's not the case it's hard for me to separate their movie career from their music.

Hugh Laurie.

that nigger can play the piano competently, he's exception af

>>???
Nigga, really?

Donald Glover.

>based keanu

he's a good example of this in that acting is pretty easy to become competent in compared to other things

he only got into movies because he played goalie and then played one in a hockey movie,
with a lot of the cast it was a lot easier to find hockey players and get them to act then get actors to play hockey

jeff bridges is somewhat successful

what a freak

I feel like a lot of people would challenge that opinion but I agree with you. He seems multi talented. Granted, he isn't the absolute best at anything he does but he is massively talented.

I felt really bad for him after this.

>Frank Sinatra
>Dean Martin
The Mob helped a lot.

>David Bowie
>Tom Waits
>Joe Strummer (he didn't act much, but he was great in Mystery Train)
>Justin Timberlake
>Debbie Harry
>Cher
>Henry Rollins
All of the above were novelty castings. They were not hired for their acting talent but for their popularity.

one of the most fucking retarded things i've read in the last 5 minutes
more ppl should respect sound in film but you've gone too far

Anons saying singers have talent, you arent talking about actual pop singers, are you? Because music is shit these days...

I seem to remember my nose-fu Chiaki Kuriyama had a music career of some sort, well after she failed to move on to greater things after Kill Bill. All concrete evidence seems to be scrubbed from the Internet however - or I just imagined it.

>Eddie Murhpy was great.
That was a fun song,that is what songs should be. Think of the deepest song you know,now imagine a girl singing it happily driving...

>Most musicians are attractive already

Yeah shitty ones.

BTFO
Also your mom is a whore

>tfw had a good day to day

Boy i miss david bowie

Scott Walker is superior in every measurable way
Bowie lived his entire life in the man's shadow

I like Bowie but he was a shitty actor

wtf was he doing in Last Temptation of Christ?

Drake is the first one that comes to mind. Ariana Grande also.

;-;
youtube.com/watch?v=3nSqDMqCJQw

Sup Forums is an 18 + website.

Micheal Cera made an album, it's actually not that bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yw6twGYRzmM

Child actors don't count, especially when they're in a musical show. Lots of teen nick and disney kids become famous popstars. Hell Micky Mouse Club had Britney Spears and Justine Timberlake on it.

it's pretty easy to find her albums

Fly Girls weren't actors.

It's easier and likely for people to watch a random movie and go "oh hey, this singer's in this and actually has acting chops!" than it is to come by an album/song from a famous actor by accident.

People generally don't give a shit about actor's musical career since it's almost never talked about and they don't often chart very high. Jared Leto took a long hiatus from acting to get his music career to where it is now. Most actors won't. I didn't have a clue that Scarlett Johansson has released two albums until by accident I found out that Tom Waits had written and co-written all the songs for her debut album almost decade ago.

>hating on Drizzy
Back to redit, kiddo

>tfw Sinatra got an acting Oscar and Peter O'Toole didn't

I thought you were being funny, but damn it really isnt bad

Kevin Costner apparently has a fairly successful country band. That's why he didn't do that many movies for several years after Open Range, iirc.

Every japanese "actor"/"actress" is also a "musician" of some kind

Grey worn off game of thrones became a singer. He's pretty good

Does the chick from Gossip Girl count?

Justin Timberlake was good in The Social Network and literally nothing else.
Also dont forget Brie Larson

He was pretty okay in Inside Llewyn Davis and Trouble with the Curve. Very minimal roles admittedly.

>mr lawrence.jpg
David Bowie's character in that movie is Jack Celliers, not John Lawrence

Scott Walker is a straight up weirdo

her nose is shit

>Le wrong generation
Music doesn't suck now, your taste does

>Drake is the first one that comes to mind. Ariana Grande also.

Honestly had no idea they were actors.
Also I don't know who Drake is.
t.adult

What the fuck is drizzy?

Being a skilled and talented singer is a very rare thing. Becoming a successful actor is also quite difficult but likely has a lot more to due with luck and connections. A very popular singer already has those connections.

>forgetting bjork
Won best actress if i recall correctly

Kevin Spacey really is a god

I know where you're coming from but you got that backwards friend, as a whole film isn't aural at all, though competent filmmakers can make it so.

childish gambino

>t.adult

i think you mean t. reddit if you haven't seen le orange sweater rejection man 1000 times already

dont move the fucking goalposts, they do count

How the fuck does Henry Rollins do it? The nigga was good for about 2 years when singing other people's stuff and has since did nothing but shit poetry, awful acting and being a general judgemental asshole to literally everyone.

None of which are acclaimed specifically for his acting. He's not a terrible actor, but he's not good either. He's just kind of "there".

He's a draw to theaters because he's attractive and people like him. Not because he's particularly talented at acting. I can't remember a single scene from any of his movies (and I've seen a lot of them, I actually like him quite a bit) in which his acting was memorable.

despite what you believe or are told, acting isn't that hard. Everyone can do it, you just might have alimited ham-as-all-fuck style, but its all applicable.

If you can tell a lie to a crazy girlfriend and have her believe you despite all her suspicion and any evidence, then you can act.

Not everyone can sing.