Can a trilogy of this calibre ever be achieved again?

Can a trilogy of this calibre ever be achieved again?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRfHizrDoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=K3I8I_i8Syw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nah, LOTR is once in a lifetime

Shame that cancerous shit like Star Wars is more popular

>just started rewatching LOTR for the first time in 2 years today
>multiple LOTR threads pop up today afterwards
This board is just a simulation in my head isn't it?

Every person who loves these movies will sit back sometimes and think about what a masterpiece they were and how much love and care went into the trilogy from every single person on set. It's magical what Peter Jackson accomplished and I hope that the Mortal Engines movies are just as good

Not anytime soon. That's what makes it special.

At some point someone is going to come along and do something amazing, then we'll wonder how we ever existed without it.(Assuming SJWs haven't made it impossible, to the degree that america has to be destroyed and remade before we can get something of the same quality)

No. No one will ever build entire cities, giant megatures, craft thousands pieces of armor, clothes and decorations, prepare and plan for years before even starting shooting to achieve something like this. It is easier to shoot everything on the green screen right now

One day I hope to see a Peter Jackson/Guillermo Del Toro partner on a movie like Halo or some shit

Well, thematically it's a little too soon for that, Lord of the Rings was a swansong of the mythical side of monarchies with god-given rights, or the Old Regime, towards the beginning of a more "democratic" approach to storytelling (hobbits, humans, elfs and dwarves, unexpected heroes and so on); while the series of movies being the same with practical effects and digital. The tale of a transition between eras takes a lot of time to create itself in the mind of someone in the form of a legend.

It's happening right now in the form of the new SW films ;^)

>just watched the first Fellowship special features DVD that came with the extended trilogy blu ray set
>all those little details Jackson made sure to get down including hiring two professional Tolkien illustrators and putting in scenes that would fit in perfectly with the world Tolkien built
Goddamn he really was a great director once, though it's more a movie based on sheer luck with its time of creation and perfect casting.

These films came out at a time when we were in constant fear after 9/11 and brought a much needed world of wonder and amazement to shield us from the shitty events going on, same with Harry Potter 1 and 2 at the same time.
Anyone who was a kid at the time can attest to that.

Only Amerisharts cared about 9/11, fuck off

game of thrones/

Harry Potter.

/thread

yes.. yes.... well done tolkien well done tolkien

HOWEVER

Upvoted

>can we ever get a trilogy with a hopeless fuckstick warping of the source material again?
>le best weed in the shire
>le comic relief chunkyshortstack
>skateboarding on shields
I hope not, user. I hope not.

kys contrarian faggot

already did

No

An all male white team? Problematic these days

They're not faithful and they're too long and pointless as self contained experiences.
You fuck off, tasteless shitter.

No.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRfHizrDoQ

we got star wars only 20 years prior, its been 20 years, are you guys seeing this

Sadly not. For some reason, people prefer to do stuff in front of a green screen now for whatever reason.

Wait for the remake. We can make some bets to see who will be change to fir modern audiences.

No1 gave a shit about 9/11 but muricans tho.

not him but i would say the movies do a good job in staying faithful without including everything from the books

Legolas will be a Chinese woman, all the hobbits will be brown, Gandalf will be Samuel L Jackson , Gimli will be played by Peter Dinklage, Aragorn will be Idris Elba and Bormoir will be Sean Bean

>'By 2020, 50 percent of the children in Holland under the age of 18 will be of Muslim descent. Western Europeans are not having any babies. The population of Germany at the end of the century is going to be 56 per cent of what it is now. The population of France, 52 per cent of what it is now. There is a change happening in the very complexion of Western civilisation in Europe that we should think about at least and argue about.

>'If it just means the replacement of one genetic stock with another genetic stock, that does not matter too much. But if it involves the replacement of Western civilisation by a different civilisation with different cultural values, then it is something we really ought to discuss - because, goddammit, I am for dead white male culture.'

wtf I love Gimli now

Yes, when Glass comes out in 2019.

DUDE TAXES LMAO!

No because of Leftist woman and numales. SJWisms must take the place of quality storytelling, white people must be erased from their own cultures, all films must meet approval from a panel of jaded moneymen who don't know shit and have to play it safe by appeasing the mob who shouts loudest, in this day and age it is the ugly retarded Left. That's why Stars Wars has also slid right down the shitter, people will always love Luke, Han and Leia, but who will remember any of the new characters in 30 years time?

You are now aware that remake will happen in your lifetime

It's weird that LotR is so perfect. Jackson isn't a great director but he allowed brilliance to transfer to the screen. In fact, the films work better as a story than the book imo.

Rhys Davies seems like a great guy. I wish I knew him.

>Can a trilogy of this calibre ever be achieved again?
Does this mean the last Planet of the Apes sucked?

This. I didn't even know it was a thing until 2010s.

I highly doubt it, not in our lifetimes anyway. The amount of work that went into this is unprecedented.

So this is the power of the Sup Forums contrarian. Laughable at best.

I just don't know what happened with The Hobbit. It could have been great, but Jackson just sold out completely and made three Michael Bay-tier action flicks to rob the pockets of us LotR hopefuls. I remember going to see the first one in theaters, anticipating something in line with how amazing LotR was and I got shitty CGI monsters, cart racing scenes and slapstick comedy. I didn't even bother with the next two, I knew they were going to be fucking shit.

The Dark Tower could have been our next great movie series but nope, it got fucked up too.

you should have seen the third hobbit film
made the first two look like quality productions

Boring shit, the hobbit was better. Both are too long however.

That's not even close to being true true & most of the Muslims in Netherlands are Turks

Hes still based though & we should worry about mass Islamic immigration, their culture is not compatible at all

He was a good friend.

>You are now aware that remake will happen in your lifetime

And a Frozen live action version will be made before that, what a time to be alive!

9/11 was a huge deal in NZ
We were terrified that terrorists might now of our existence
Thankfully we are too irrelevant
Sadly yurocucks don't give a fuck about muzzies raping their daughters and slaughtering you regularly
That's why pathetic yuros didn't care about 9/11

thank god i didnt even try anymore after the first two

*know

no it wasn't. there was some beefed up securities and terrorist awareness but it passed after sometime and people were doing hakas a couple of months later

Please ignore Sup Forums posters

9/11 was a huge deal in NZ
We were terrified that terrorists might know of our existence
Thankfully we are too irrelevant
Sadly you yurocucks don't give a fuck about muzzies raping your daughters and slaughtering your kin
That's why you pathetic yuros didn't care about 9/11

It's actually pretty sad what happened with The Hobbit.
Jackson had less than 6 months of pre-production, as opposed to 4 years for LOTR.
The studio pushed him into making another trilogy, even though he wanted to make two movies.
If you watch the Behind the Scenes footage, everyone is very stressed, disappointed and angry.
Everything had to be incredibly rushed, from the script to the prop-making, which is partly why so much ended up being CGI.

For the last time, no.

They wouldn't make a movie this White & Male again that's for sure

>"Oy Vey, Mr Jackson, we've been hearing rumours you plan to make the Hobbit in two parts and not three?"
"Yes, it's a short childrens book"
>"Oy Gevalt, what a holocaust, Mr Jackson, we are missing out on a third film worth of shekels here"
"It'll be hard to make the source material last two films, let alone 3"
>"A shoah, right here in my office, remember the 2 billion, Mr Jackson, we demand you make stuff up, invent new characters, show popular characters from Lord of the Rings, lots and lots of CGI"
"Yes, my chosen one"
>"One last thing you Goy animal, we hear the dragon has 4 legs... it only needs 2 to walk, many shekels will be saved"

> what a holocaust

Kek

Deleted and reposted my post to correct some grammar
My parents were adults at the time of 9/11, and they say that it changed heaps in society
Mainstream people became aware of the Islamic threat and were highly concerned
Long gone were the days of mainstream acceptance of the lie about how all religions preach peace blablabla

>based on sheer luck
Wouldn't call all the dedication and skill of many people sheer luck, but it certainly played into it. Like Viggo get cast like 1-3 days before filming started.

>9/11 was a huge deal in NZ
>We were terrified that terrorists might know of our existence

This is complete and utter bullshit.

Do not EVER post as if you speak for NZ again, you fucking cunt.

I believe what my parents told me about the mainstream public reaction to 9/11 over some random loser on Sup Forums
>Do not EVER post as if you speak for NZ again, you fucking cunt
u mad bro XDDDD ;)

>I believe what my parents told me about the mainstream public reaction to 9/11 over some random loser on Sup Forums

I'll believe what I and everyone else I knew thought about 9/11 when it happened, you pathetic numale cunt.

Nobody gives a fuck about how you and your pathetic, paranoid family cried in fear, numale.

My family wasn't scared at all
They are fundamentalist Christians who knew about the Muslim threat looooong before 9/11
They said that the western world woke up after 9/11, and how the unaware masses were shocked by 9/11

>Boromir will be Sean Bean

You must be a northerner with your lame attempt at copying Australian humour XD

Yes

Are the newer ones worth watching.. Smaug something and the other one(two?)?

They've been desperately trying to replicate it for over a decade now with Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Narnia etc. They'll never achieve anything like this again at least in terms of sheer quality and originality.

It was just a phenomenon, a quite low budget epic that flew under the radar with a cast mostly of relative unknowns at the time shot back to back in an incredibly well thought out location with groundbreaking special effects tech.

No because normies don't want to see niggers of Peace prancing around saving the day in a ancient European setting no matter what SJW's say.

Liberals want to fucking retcon everything.

No it's not because by now we'd have 5 more sequels and 1 prequel and 2 spin offs in the works. And idris elba in the lead role

Harry Potter did really well

But Disney failed quite hard with Narnia, it's probably why they purchased Star Wars as they wanted their own blockbuster franchise

>Resorting to memes and namecalling
Typical american.

>assuming I'm American
Kek
Nice damage control bro

>I-I'm totally not American, guys!

Where do you come from?

>most of the Muslims in Netherlands are Turks
Is that supposed to be a good thing?

>not old enough to experience it himself
>has to be told how it was like
Wew you sure showed him lad.

So only the most relevant and important nation on the planet cares. Good enough for me.

No, but when people think Muslims they tend to think Arabs & Blacks, Western Turks are just Greeks with a tad of central asian maybe

>& most of the Muslims in Netherlands are Turks
Oh, all's well then I guess. kek

>I am for dead white male culture.'
Wait so he is for dead white males or not

The Netherlands

If that user is old enough to remember 9/11, then he is a loser for still going on Sup Forums

I'm a kiwi

Daily reminder that Holland is just one region in the Netherlands.

Meant for

Just bomb Almere and the problem is solved

>Liking Toro after the fuck up that the Hobbit was.
I hope he apologized to Jackson.

>9/11 was a huge deal in NZ
>We were terrified

>My family wasn't scared at all

kys retard

Literally not possible in today's society

>These films came out at a time when we were in constant fear after 9/11
>constant fear
hahaha
no

Don't forget, you're here forever.

>A film about White males defeating the Dark Hordes
>Being made today

Haha
HAHAHA

Dang too true.

>all white cast with talented actors

The highest elf would need to be black, there'd be a mixed race romance just because, and at some point they'd unironically focus on some group being oppressed and fighting the higher authority.

Very unlikely. It's literally a miracle of cinematic history. The epitome of lightning in a bottle.

Silmarillion trilogy >> LOTR

lol
I was more worried about USA panicking & bombing every country in middleeast than 9/11

Hilariously enough the early 00s that mark the end of epic trilogies and sagas we had in that period of less than a decade also mark the beginning of corporate jews replacing creativity and freedom of expression with forced quotas and green screens. Audiences changed that's for sure.

People still seem to blame Jackson for the Hobbit. The director dropped out and like the other user said he had like 6 months of pre production for 3 films.

Massive sections of the films were made up on the same day, the battles in the last film for example. Having to use a green screen for everything was depressing and you could see it on his face, even Ian McKellen even broke down in tears during the bag end scenes and said he was done and didn't want to film anymore because it was all green screen and all of the scenes were performed by himself without the dwarves

This isn't an over exaggeration either, every single thing about it is pure magic.

One of the most unrecognized scenes, but the score and beauty of this scene could never be done again

youtube.com/watch?v=K3I8I_i8Syw

Nah it was a golden era of green screen back when the audience wasn't tired of it and producers weren't bunch of lazy hacks that started cutting corners everywhere and instead of working on set they started working in front of a computer replacing everything with CGI. I honestly wouldn't be able to name 5 good movies from last 5 years. I can probably name 20 great ones from the period of late 90s to mid 00s.

Hackson isn't as much to fault as some believe or as blameless as you seem to suggest. He deserves his fair share of blame for a lot of the bullshit in that trilogy.