Tell me captain, if earth is so great, why is there no Babylon 5 thread?

Tell me captain, if earth is so great, why is there no Babylon 5 thread?

Because Deep Space 9 is better.

I really enjoyed B5, but I never really get an urge to discuss it like I do with Trek.

is that his real hair?

sneed

MEEEESTER GARIBALDI

You are hearing this in my voice, yes?

You put your right hand in, you put your right hand out

>alien
>has weird hair
carl sagan's bones are dancing in disgust

I generally don't like sci-fi at all, but this was an engaging show that I rather enjoyed.

This. What are we going to discuss, green versus purple? It's not going to be a discussion, it's going to be a shouting match of memes better suited for other websites with upvotes.

this zarg sub-drazi fucking purple walked by me today. He said something in his unintelligible purple-babble. I lost it and called him what he was, a worthless purple. told that fucker. I hate purples so god damn much

smug minbari

>try to genocide humanity because one minbari died, wouldn't accept even a desperate unconditional surrender from humanity
>only stop at the last second because they learn minbari souls are inside of humans, really only give a shit because it's their souls
>Minbari are generally treated as morally superior space elves in the story
>We're supposed to not like evil rayciss humans who don't trust minbari, even though the minbari warrior caste is still openly hostile to humanity and and could easily finish the job on a whim if they wanted to.
President Clark did nothing wrong.

Skeptical Chekov is skeptical.

I'm just re watching it. Shit is a classic but holy fuck has it aged like milk. PS2 level graphics for CGI. Still manages to be an epic take on Lord Of the Rings in space.

>bad acting
>bad special effects
>blatant ripoff of both DS9 and LoTR
>cast cursed by LRH due to intentional blasphemy
nothing will ever be worse than this show

>aged like milk
Every "spacey" scifi show does though. Every single one.

>LOTR

I thought it was based on the Arthurian Legend.

The unending stream of lies about the fake lunar landings have killed genuine spacey SF. Until we as a society can be honest about the state of things we can't have good SF, just speculation based on falsity.

Current written SF takes global warming seriously, for cryeye. SF is dead

WHAT DO YOU WANT?

>ds9 a supposedly star trek show but does not do any trekking
>does not even have a captain just an angsty dramaqueen commander with an angstier constantly-pms-ing bajoran second-in-command
>implying ds9 is not garbage

It is basically the TV series we wanted for Enterprise.

Everything is concluded. The political commentary is clear and unambiguous. Who wants to talk about it? All the characters were beautifully written, we got to see most of what happened and if you want? You can read the god damn books. But don't.

WHO ARE YOU?

how much is this worth watching, what do I need to know going in, and where can I find it?

The entire series is on go90 and dailymotion, watch order for the show/movies is pic related

It's worth a watch if you liked DS9 and want more. If you haven't seen than then Mass effect took a shitload of "inspiration" from B5.

No. It's Lord of the Rings. The Vorlons represent the Valari, the Shadows the Balrogs, the humans are well humans, the Mimbari are elves, the rangers...are well rangers, the old ones are the gods, the galactic rim is the undying lands. It's like totally LOTR.

What about Orcs?

>>cast cursed by LRH due to intentional blasphemy

redpill me on this

>7 years

Narn

>how much is this worth watching
I hate you faggots so much

Sheridan was better than Sisko but Kira "QT" Nerys kicks the shit out of Susan "I can't act for shit" Ivanova

markab joke, nothing to dwell on

okay trump

i'm pretty sure it was the first show ever to have it's special effects be totally CGI so it's not too bad considering that

>ds9 a supposedly star trek show but does not do any trekking
treks into the gamma quandrant, as of then the most unexplored sector in the whole series
>>does not even have a captain just an angsty dramaqueen commander with an angstier constantly-pms-ing bajoran second-in-command
sisko gets promoted to captain by season three

SAD!

He's a retarded youngfag, pay no attention.

>this watch list

Everyone told me B5 was comparable to DS9, even better.

They told me DS9 was a poor comparison to the originator, etc.

As I started watching the show, I realized this was untrue, but mainly because B5 is nothing at all like Star Trek. In fact, in many ways, the two franchises were diametric opposites in the way the two shows were executed.

All that said, G'Kar and Londo is probably one of my favourite friendly on-screen rivalries in sci-fi save for maybe McCoy and Spock or Weyoun and Dukat.

Anyone else prefer Sinclair to Sheridan? Sinclair seems like a familiar military archetype from my mother's side of my family; and that scene where he is in the Grey Council being shown that triangle relic that he himself sent.

If you look closely, you'll see that he is a White male.

He's obviously alien sum.

If the B5 cast isn't cursed then explain why they all keep dying.

My biggest problem with B5 is that the villains are literally an ancient evil awakens and their slick obviously evil salesman who just got a sweet deal on a soul from some fiddle-player in Georgia.

The Blu-Ray of TNG has shown it to have aged marvelously, as the model shots and seasons 3 through 7 have a well coordinated look. The only complaint may be in specific aliens and makeup effects but overall it has really held it's own.

Same with Voyager.

DS9 somehow manages to look older than TNG despite being mostly after TNG went off the air.

people get older

Anti7y has been throwing pissbottles for YEARS at perfectly respectable NatNGrs yet we're considered to be in the wrong?

They at least did the ancient evil shtick well. The Shadow ships are fucking terrifying. And Mr.Morden sells his part.

Yeah, I got that vibe too but Morden was the one villain I liked because he didn't seem so comically moustache-twirling. In fact, the Shadows and Mr. Morden often times save the show from being somewhat stereotypical at times and they go for a semi Eldritch horror type villain.

But Morden is great. I love the scene where Londo jokingly responds to his "just pick a target" with "the Narn homeworld". To which Morden replies "One step at time.."

They've had a lot of bad luck with their health.

I haven't seen DS9 or played Mass Effect

I don't get it

I don't mind Babylon 5/Space: Above and Beyond era of CG space battles. They're not great but they depict what they're trying too well enough. Then only a few years later you have Farscape, whose space CG, in my opinion, holds up perfectly to modern tastes

Stargate had some fuck awful CG though

>Space: Above and Beyond
Any time ive mentioned this no one else has heard of it.

it's pretty odd how under-appreciated and unknown it is. It's a pretty good series and the new BSG was as much inspired by it as the original BSG. It's a pretty good series that did a lot with its single season and had pretty high production standards

A lot of people have heard of it.

It was the show that came on after X-Files and was one of the reasons I got into spaceshit.

It was only one for one season though

and iirc ended on a cliffhanger ;_;

i hate network execs who cancel shows ending on a cliffhanger. and directors/creators/writers who intentionally end on a cliffhanger knowing it's going to be cancelled. i hate them so much.

>President Clark did nothing wrong.

Worked with Shadows, inexcusable.

people like us who enjoy those kind of shows are, unfortunately, in the minority compared to the totality of viewers and represent a fraction of the ratings population. even more unfortunate, is that we are not the marketing group that most advertisers (the main basis of renewing/cancelling a show: will companies pay a lot to advertise during the show) want.

so, unless you regularly attend conventions of like-minded people, you'll probably only encounter a few who was interested in watched the show.

in the past "kind of show" is usually the same as genre because a genre tend to have scriptwriting (dialogue, storylines) unique to the genre. but a decade or so ago, soapie-style scriptwriting (where 35 minutes of each 42-minute episode focuses on angsty romantic relationships, angsty family drama, angst because best friend did this, angst because mom did that, etc) is now being used in all genres (with a few exceptions). so we now have horror-genre shows like twilight, vampire diaries, true blood and sci-fi genre shows like supergirl, divergent, hunger games, arrow, bsg. the reason is that fans of soapie-style scriptwriting is a large fraction of the ratings population and many advertisers target them.

yes of coursssh

the minbari killed was highly revered by all minbari especially the warrior caste. and they did not know that humans were unaware of the interstellar protocol (among all alien species that they are aware of) of showing peaceful intentions and thought the humans intentionally disregarded their we-come-in-peace overtures and believed the humans were planning a cowardly attack on their beloved leader.

also, the grey council was actually tied before delenn gave the deciding vote. 4 wanted to find out first why the humans shot at them while the other 4 were emotionally wrought at the death of their leader and wanted revenge immediately. when they asked delenn for her vote she was crying over his body and was herself in an extreme emotional state and voted for revenge.

she later regretted her vote and, when approached by a vorlon telling her the humans are very important in an upcoming apocalyptic war, tried to find ways to stop the war.

Farscape hasn't aged to bad, mostly cause of all the puppets

ben browder was so handsome hot. too bad there was no young and handsome someone in the crew for him to buddy with. ;_;

My memory of the show is blurry but didn't they find out why earth humans look so much like the race of that peacekeeper girl?

Shadows aren't all that bad.

Out of the 2, they at least give you agency and supply you with goods.

Plus they hate the Minbari and Vorlons, so that makes them good no matter what.

Yeah, humans were abducted and altered to become Peacekeepers by aliums who wanted to force everyone else to play nice.

Not really. Shadows are big on chaos forcing other races to evolve and would go around shit stirring just to see what would happen.

Fuck off faggot.

I fapped many a time to Ivanova's nudes.

failed show tried to copy paste b5 plot

Actually, Captain Power pioneered CGI-on-TV.

And no, that's not a coincidence.

SAAB was canceled after the last episode had already been filmed. Not much they could have done about it.

Guy who played Sinclair had serious mental health issues so there was no way he was going to stick around.

I did like him though and he was the more realistic choice for the kind of person who would be put in charge of a station like B5. People forget that in the early days B5 was something of a joke, putting some wooden old war hero in charge of it makes sense.

i was thinking of another show (but can't remember which show it was) that the creator said they ended season (not sure if season 1 or 2 but i think it may have been season 1) on a cliffhanger hoping fans would lobby the network to change their minds about cancelling his show.

many shows i've watched regularly and only ended up cancelled on a cliffhanger which is why i never watch shows that have a mystery until the mystery is revealed and i then binge-watch it. if it gets cancelled before mystery revealed or on a cliffhanger then i don't binge-watch it.

the show that was the last straw for me was the gates.

I loved those episodes where he came back

>b-but MUH BLACK STAR!
boneheaded fucking shits. genocidal maniacs without a shred of compassion. sheridan did nothing wrong

whatever this guy got please

>damage controlling this hard

SAAB definitely deserves a remake.

As much as I like B5, can't argue with that.

>muh CGI
plebeian complain
I consider Babylon 5 to be more like theatre than tv

>1990 TV-budget CGI aged badly.
What do you want?

>mfw Nightwatch shills ITT

I miss Babylon 5, hell I miss being excited for new television releases. The series 3 cliffhanger was the greatest cliffhanger in TV history!

Also; Captain Lochley was a better XO than Ivanova ever was. Imagine if she'd come on board in series 1. We could have had somebody capable of... acting... in the supporting role

Also; Andrea Thompson should never have gone to CNN

>let's open out gun ports to show how we come in peace, what could possibly go wrong? Did I mention we minbari are the smartest race in the universe?

Yes how could I forget
>human vessel crippled, helpless and sending out a distress signal? heh... *dons fedora and katana* sounds like easy prey...
>WHAAAAAT!? IT WAS ARMED WITH NUCLEAR MISSILES? HOW WERE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT? OOOOOOOH! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

>Flagship obliterated by a wreackage armed with a couple of mines.
My sides shadow-phased into hyperspace.

Used to rate that show. shame it got binned.

you got something against peace?

Yeah, the peace of the gun.

What are you gonna do? Nuke them?