Just HOW do I learn German vocabulary???...

Just HOW do I learn German vocabulary???? I’m very good with grammar (that people say is the hardest aspect of German) but I understand like half of any text intended for native German speakers. Just how (and, also important, in how much time) do I learn and remember all this stuff???? There is so much, it seems I would never be able to master it all. And don’t say stuff like ‘put post-its on objects in your home’, I’m already past that level.

Attached: 097e8386-c597-4d97-b619-f9c96615740a.png (250x250, 20K)

Anki ?

Maybe, I haven’t tried it for this purpose.

i learned german for 4 years in high school(been learning english and french only in the previous 9 years of elementary and middle school) and it was easy as fuck for someone who knew english
literally most of the words are just deformed english words

In my experience it’s not quite like this. However it’s true that learning English is really easy since most words are just deformed English words.

What's your goal?
I got a C1 but didn't do anything in particular for vocabulary, just read a ton of stuff.

Just use any device that allows you to see in a few second the translation of the word you're highlighting, both android and iOs should have this feature.

Probably C1 as well. I don’t think I’d be able to know it better than I know English though.

maybe if you've ever learned a language which doesn't have caveman grammar none of that German cases and gender and shit stuck

Attached: 1510488311867.jpg (452x452, 109K)

it's pretty easy
grammar is poop

I have an Austrian sister and I just learn it by talking with her.
Find someone to talk with

Yeah, that’s common advice, but it’s pretty hard when you may be just a bit autistic.

you're learning the right language then

The only problem that I experienced with german vocabulary is that a ton of words are similar even though they have completely different meaning (bezahlen, erzählen, zählen), but that problem is easily solved by reading more and more.

Try reading the newspaper with an iPad/Mac/whatever has a dictionary incorporated.
I also remember that I learned a lot more with the Süddeutsche Zeitung (also die Zeit and FAZ are ok) than with other newspapers since they don't really bother simplifying things.

Aren't most German words pretty easy to understand for someone that knows both English and a Romance language?

have this problem, I'm probably a B1 (CEFR) in German but I really struggle to read things as I have look up so much vocabulary I get discouraged. No problem with grammar or anything. I reckon if I had German penpals which is seemingly the pinnacle of impossibility and read consistently daily with flashcards I could progress but part of me doesn't care enough as Germans aren't worth speaking to anyway

Um, not at all, in my experience the are much fewer Romance neologisms in German than in English, and, despite being both Germanic, most German words do not resemble their English equivalents at all.
Pretty much my exact problem

at least german is easy to pronounce. i have a c1 level language exam (thats high tier normalfag) in english and i cant fucking pronounce a single word. its fucking embarrassing, i could barely order a hamburger if i ever went to a different country.

My mother tongue is Italian and it definitely wasn't for me, especially at the beginning a lot of basic words are completely alien (anfangen, Augen, Ziel, benutzen...) Most of the time the synonyms that are similar to words in Italian or in English are french loanwords. My teacher said that as a rule of thumb it's more elegant to use the actual German words, and in fact in the more serious newspapers I hardly see useless French loanwords.

I think that you need to evaluate why you're learning German and hone in on some particular aspect that excites you, maybe reading Heinrich Heine or something of that sort fluently in the original text? Then pick some consistent way of reading and picking up vocabulary

it's rich of me to say it as it's something I myself have struggled with on and off for about three years, but it seems to just boil down to that

I have the opposite problem. How do I learn German grammar, romanon?

Make a spreadsheet with the 3000 most common words and decorate it. 1500 nouns, 800 verbs, 300 adjectives and 400 the rest should be good. Don't forget to mark the gender of the word and the stressed syllable.

That's what you get when your education doesn't teach you how to dissect your own language properly.

What’s with Heinrich Heine?
>3000 most common words
I am already past that level.

learn dutch

this is completely true. I can do everything in my language with good grammar but I couldn't tell you how I do it or the various components of it.
Our education system fucking sucks.