Jason isaacs has the potential to be up there with Shatner and Stewart...

Jason isaacs has the potential to be up there with Shatner and Stewart, shame he's going to have his screen time dilluted by some melodramatic tranny. I predict the more time he is on screen the higher ratings will be, and by season 2 we will be back to regular format.

>Jason isaacs has the potential to be up there with Shatner and Stewart
No, because he's going to be the bad guy.

> I predict the more time he is on screen the higher ratings will be, and by season 2 we will be back to regular format
It's not getting a season 2. Netflix paid for the entire production of the show with the international broadcast rights deal they made which was over $100 million, CBS cannot possibly make more money than that from their streaming service to pay for another, and neither will Netflix. The only hope it has is them being able to trick someone else into paying for it, which they won't. I suspect this was all part of their plan and they'll just do another reboot when this flops, or try and continue the original anthology series idea using the new universe which they're creating in episode 1/2.

wow we got Nostradamus over here

His captain might be *A* bad guy but he won't be *THE* bad guy. At least it's a bit of a stretch to say he will be at this point.

All of this can be gleamed from their press releases

Yeah, I just mean he'll be like the old Evil Admiral archetypes, except as the First Officer is the main character, he's an Evil Captain instead.

>All of this can be gleamed from their press releases
Which press release says that they'll be creating a new universe? Oh, you imagined that?

>Sarek [James Frain] plays an important role in her life, which has been completely planned until she makes a very difficult choice that sends her life on a very different path. When we meet her, she’s the first officer on the starship Shenzhou. And Burnham’s choice that we’re alluding to is the most difficult choice you can make – it affects her, affects Starfleet, affects the Federation; it affects the entire universe. That choice leads her to a different ship, the USS Discovery and there we begin what [co-showrunner] Gretchen [Berg] and I call our second pilot.

Don't get mad at me just because you aren't paying attention.

That doesn't say that it's creating a new universe. You imagined that.

You're right, I'm sure they just mean she's going to put up new wallpaper in her quarters which affects the entire universe.

Don't they teach reading comprehension where you're from?

It's obviously an exaggeration for marketing spiel, but how can you not tell the difference between "affects the entire universe" and "creates a new universe"?

Name one way in which someone could affect the entire universe using pre-TOS technology without altering the timeline.

Interact with an alien with godlike powers.

>ugly uniforms
>no holodeck
bleh

Why can't I just have a modern TNG set in the 26th century? Or a timeship show?

...who then changes the timeline? Or is he the one that puts up the wallpaper in her quarters? Good example.

An alien who could change the gravitational constant of the universe, you fucking casual.

And how is that either her choice, or even worth mentioning?

This show must be really shit if even marketers are denying what press releases have said.

Honestly I be thought about this and anything after TNG might be too high-concept for the size of audience they're aiming for. I think DSC will be closer to battlestar than TNG in that respect.

The alien could ask "Hey, what should I do?" and she could say "You should change the gravitational constant of the universe."

I already told you, it's obviously an exaggeration and she's not going to affect the entire universe. But it doesn't take a marketer to see that they never said she would create a new universe, and that was all in your imagination.

Which is to say everything in DSC is probably going to be directly related to the human-Klingon conflict in one way or another.

BSG had a lot of action but it was also a very thoughtful series that would never be made today. Not unless the religion the show focuses on is Islam.

I predict that this show won't get season 2

Same here. I suspect poor reception with terrible numbers for CBS All Access will mean CBS dropping streaming spending and cutting its loses on shows like this. They won't bring it to network TV either, because that would admit failure.

God damn what a bummer. Trek is fucking almost dead.

That is true, but is suppose I'm talking more about how individual TNG episodes dealt with distinct concepts.

>would never be made today. Not unless the religion the show focuses on is Islam

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? Do you mean they would need to pander to an audience sympathetic to Islam?

>Do you mean they would need to pander to an audience sympathetic to Islam?
Yes, but also the religion in BSG is based on Mormonism which is problematic due to their racial demographics.

I also predict budget issues and sloppy writing with drooped plot lines and a feeling like it had 3 different writers with each only doing a handful of eps. The change in writers will be made clear by abrupt shifts in priorities/ shows identity

>Not unless the religion the show focuses on is Islam.

Have you read Dune? Did you get buttsand?

Any idea how much of season 1 will be in the can by the time it premieres in late Sept??

How many episodes is season 1?

15 episodes, half will be ready for September-November, then they take a break to finish the rest for January-March.

How come TV shows have less episodes per season these days? You used to get like 26 hour long episodes per season in the 90s.

Ok thx. How long are they expected to be? ~40 mins? Or more like GoT where time can vary since commercials aren't an issue.
Money.

At least we get a bit more quality over quantity.

Total layman's opinion here, it seems that a shows first couple of seasons are short to keep quality high and then get a full season second or third time round. Seems to work, there haven't been many noteworthy flops recently.

My friends work on an AMC show that just got a 3rd season and it's 24 episodes now.

>How long are they expected to be? ~40 mins? Or more like GoT where time can vary since commercials aren't an issue.

Given it's literally made to launch HBOs streaming service and it's main platform outside America is Netflix, I'm hoping it's a proper hour.

>HBO
Fuck I meant PBS

It was only content producers that have individual subscriptions that do this because you have to subscribe for an entire year even if you only want to watch 1 show instead of being able to subscribe between september and february then waiting for the show to come back on the next year. Standard network shows have started copying them because people are willing to accept it as a result of their actions, and they get the same money for half the work.

>PBS
Damnnit, Cinemax**