Reddit is of Much Higher Quality When Compared To Sup Forums

I will make the unpopular contention that Reddit is of better intellectual quality than Sup Forums with regards to not only the topics presented but also in the discourse of those topics.

For evidence, I have attached a photograph documenting a typical discussion on Reddit and a typical discussion on /Hist/.

As can be seen within the photograph, Reddit's topic is well defined and thought out. Sup Forums's topic, on the other hand, is relatively simplistic.

Sup Forums's original poster makes a claim in his topic ("I've come across more racist men...") yet fails to substantiate it with solid evidence. His question comes across as biased.

The discourses following the topics continue to illustrate why Reddit is of superior quality when compared to Sup Forums.

In Reddit's case, we can witness a scholarly and civilized discussion of the topic. Many posters not only fully answer the question, but they provide source material as well.

In Sup Forums's case, we see a discourse that pales in comparison. Many claims are made, yet they are unsubstantiated. Personal attacks against the poster are abound. Profanity is also rampant in Sup Forums's discussion.

I would have hoped that this one example would have been an anomaly. However, from further research, I have found that these differences between the intellectual quality between Reddit and Sup Forums exist again and again.

So Sup Forums, I ask you this question: "Does Reddit offer greater intellectual quality when compared to Sup Forums?"

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/altright
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>cherrypicking
Go back to your shithole if you like it so much

>So Sup Forums, I ask you this question: "Does Reddit offer greater intellectual quality when compared to Sup Forums?"
in your example yes

4 chan is slow chat retard , you can find reddit shit back from 3 years ago

Good. Stay there then.

>Sup Forums
opinion disregarded

Okay cuckfaggot, I will humour you.

Reddit encourages political correctness and 'witty' light humour in order to get upvotes. The only way to get your opinion heard by the masses if it's a popular opinion in the first place, so fringe opinions like those on Sup Forums which might be right but are offensive and hurt liberals 'feels' never appear on reddit. Information is more free here and if you want to call someone a faggot you can do it. Faggot.

cool, so go back there then

>muh intllectshual discussion

>I go on reddit for the intellectual quality
>As you can see, the posts people like the most are at the top
>People are nicer to me
>Sup Forums is mean and has personal attacks against m'lady
>from my research of "Sup Forums", I have found le reddit to be superior because of the hugbox mentality
>censorship trumps free discussion
>people try to have opinions that everyone likes for snowflake upvote points

You certainly do not have the intellectual capacity to appreciate Sup Forums. Go back to prepping your bull on reddit.

>yet fails to substantiate it with solid evidence
What, do you want to see the guy's notebook of racist men he's met?

Hi, you appear to be new around here I would recommend you refrain from posting and instead lurk for at least a year before you begin to post. To answer your question the difference between the reddit format and the imageboard format is simple. Due to the voting system of posts on reddit there is far less room for controversial opinion this leads to a hugbox mentality which in turn leads to intellectual stagnation. Here things are the opposite the most controversial opinions often get the most responses. Another factor is one of having registered users, here we are user 99% of the time what I am saying in this post may directly contradict what I posted about previously but that doesn't matter, you take my present words for what they are. Here we have freedom.

I can't believe you wasted this much time and effort just to make this post OP. Why don't you put this effort into finding a nice girl?

>wikipedia copy and paste
>intellectual quality
its yahoo answers tier; people literally too lazy to google

Then go there and don't come back, fucking redditor.

> what is cherrypicking?

Last time I looked reddit was nothing but a CTR Eco-chamber. I am pretty sure I saw several r/Don supporters come here, because they were banned for disagreeing with the CTR machine and PC SJW culture.

Into the trash it goes.
Correct spelling and grammar / punctuation on copypasta CTR means nothing when the content is weak propaganda newspeak.

This. Sup Forums is vastly superior because you can speak without any kind of filter and without any kind of consequences.

Being able to tell someone to kill himself, call someone a faggot/nigger, and just say whatever is on your mind is wonderful.

Sup Forums is one of the last bastions of TRUE free speech left to us.

>t. someone who has been on Sup Forums for almost 7 years and has never spent more than an hour or two on reddit in all of that time

Thank you for the vulgarity, it really adds to the discussion.

I disagree with your argument that Reddit encourages political correctness.

1. There are several politically incorrect subreddits avaliable. For instance, the alt-right subreddit: reddit.com/r/altright
2. Whenever you see a case of censorship, it is usually the result of either posting in the wrong subreddit, failing to address the topic at hand, or composing a vulgar topic and/or response.

I would argue that both topics and responses must be moderated to provide for civilized, intellectual discourse. Non-moderated topics and/or responses degrades into nothing more than a shouting match of obscenities.

You only like Sup Forums because your shit tier commentary wont get downvoted here. There are subreddits on reddit that encourage legitimate political discussion, so the arguement that "Reddit encourages political correctness and 'witty' light humour in order to get upvotes" is bullshit.

Admit it, people like you only come here to say nigger and call people faggots

Please, allow the Sup Forums community to retort to your well-intentioned, meticulously written post:

KILL YOURSELF FAGGOT

No it really is. Sup Forums is faster-paced and "funner" and I can post whatever, easily, without having to think too hard about it, quite frankly. But I go to reddit to have real conversations over a length of time.

They have a *ton* of niche subs for literally every topic and people are generally pleasant to talk to.

The registered forum -vs- anonymous forum dichotomy is fascinating because both approaches are equally flawed for different reasons, yin and yang. I use Sup Forums way more than reddit though, but I've been a shitposter my entire life.

>the result of either posting in the wrong subreddit
But that's the thing isn't it? Unless you post stuff in your personal hugbox you're going to get downvoted and your voice silenced.
In an ideal world the voting system would be perfect because people would only use it to downvote objectively irrelevant posts and upvote interesting or worthy content. As it stands though, people just downvote stuff they disagree with and upvote shitty puns and jokes older than the dinosaurs.

>t. someone who actually lurks both sites for different reasons

Reddit only works well as it's original purpose. An aggregator.
Outside of that it's utter shite.

It's easy to appear superior when you have a team of moderators that aggressively prune anything not up to standards. Our janitors won't even remove leafs posting the same kikebait slide thread a dozen times a day...

Sup Forums is freedom. Freedom comes at a cost.

Now you have to go back.

Don't forget to sage!
>Don't forget to sage!
Don't forget to sage!
>Don't forget to sage!
Don't forget to sage!
>Don't forget to sage!
Don't forget to sage!
>Don't forget to sage!
Don't forget to sage!
>Don't forget to sage!

the people self censor by le downvoting comments thus hiding other "wrong" opinions

>There are some right wing echo chambers as well as left wing so this means that the upvote system does not produce echo chambers where opinions that are popular with the users are enshrined and those that are unpopular are buried and hidden.

Getting outright banned for your opinions is down to individual mods, however the site's system attracts users who like the ability to censor their opponents and to exist in a cotton-wool environment where everyone agrees with them, and the worst of these little Hitlers are most likely to seek positions of power.

So moderators are of the type to ban people for their "vulgar" opinions more often than not.

Reddit is where intellect and debate go to die of autoerotic asphyxiation.

>as you see here, we contain political incorrectness to the edgy sections
>we do not want it to leak out into the liberal circlejerk that most users read

You are encouraging political correctness by isolating dissenting opinions from the most frequently visited areas of your site. By default, the upvote system encourages a groupthink mentality.

Your definition of "intellectual discussion" is words you want to hear, in ways you want them to be arranged, coming from people who think the way everyone wants them to think.

You do not understand the beauty of Sup Forums, and probably never will if you keep hanging around a bunch of self-censoring, reposting faggots.

If you want civilized discussion without censorship, maybe you should go outside and talk to people in real life.

The voting system encourages political correctness because if you post the wrong opinion in the wrong place, people bury you for it.

So you have subs that get to be significantly large hubs of people, but certain opinions can't break through because the hub hivemind is already too overpowering.

This isn't necessarily bad but it allows normies to be "indoctrinated" with the same types of discourse without necessarily realizing it. But people who tend not to realize it are probably never going to be woke anyway.

The voting system is just misused. It literally says it's for downvoting off-topic posts, but naturally people are going to use it as an "I don't like what you said" button. If the could somehow socially engineer the system to work (i.e. probably eliminate downvoting entirely and make it so bad posts can only be reported to mods) it would be great.

>Us censoring your opinion is great for you cuz we know best

>There are several politically incorrect subreddits avaliable

there are seperate echochambers so there is no discussion or discors

>Whenever you see a case of censorship

its becosue you post the wrong opinion in the wrong echo chamber

>the posts people like the most are at the top
You can order posts however you like. It's the best way to filter out low quality, shit arguement posts like yours

>People are nicer to me
>Sup Forums is mean and has personal attacks against m'lady
Calling someone a "cuck" is not content.

>hugbox mentality
Yes, and this board doesn't have a hivemind at all. Lmao

>intellectual capacity to appreciate Sup Forums
You do know this site is 99% shitposts right?

I've always hated Reddit. The_Donald is an embarrasement to Trump supporters. I cant believe Trump did an AMA there.

>there are seperate echochambers so there is no discussion or discors
Sure enough, but Sup Forums should understand this phenomenon more than any other group. What happens in a multicultural society? People tend to self-aggregate based on their similarities.

The idea that you can put a fervent racist next to a bleeding heart liberal, and they calmly discuss their differences before parting ways, with no lingering bitterness between either party, is a farce. People want to be with their "own kind" and that works intellectually as much as it does biologically.

No, because reddit is a gigantic sack of shit

NO

>Yes, and this board doesn't have a hivemind at all. Lmao
Sure, but if you post something controversial the worst that can happen is either you're ignored or people call you a cuck. You won't see your post disappear at the bottom of the page or hidden. People who scroll through the thread will still be able to see it.

You realize 90% of Reddit are reposts of stale jokes, other people's pets, and made up rape stories posted for """""support""""" right?

I stopped trusting reddit's facts when I actually worked in the field relevant to one of those page long posts you see every so often. 9 times out of 10 the guy that posted a 5 paragraph long post about chinese/indian economic relations has literally 0 idea what he's talking about and is going off of a BBC documentary he saw 7 years ago.

The history ones are pretty good, especially the art history ones but a lot of the other shit is blatantly false.

Most of the information they often present that isn't factually incorrect is anecdotal horseshit they made up for upvotes which goes along with this point

>Quick! Everyone help me hide threads I don't like!!!

>Sup Forums
>Sup Forums
fuck off